Sign in to follow this  
Fred65

Judd Brackett

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Is Brackett a backup goalie? The love for this guy is getting outta hand. Lol. I think we’ll be okay without him. Lets not get carried away here. Y’all making it sound like he’s a god or something. If he sticks around, great. If not, oh well. 

  • Hydration 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2020 at 11:42 AM, Tre Mac said:

I think Brackett is as good as gone imo and that'll be a huge blow to this team.  The fact they haven't agreed on a contract yet is not a good sign.  I believe he is worthy of a promotion but doesn't look like Benning will give him one.  

He doesn't want a promotion he wants his autonomy back that Linden gave him and he was stripped of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearly Benning and Weisbrod felt they needed a numbers guy to manage contracts and the cap more than they thought they needed a guy to support their scouting which is why they promoted Gear instead of Brackett.

 

Im sure they’re well aware this decision meant potentially losing Brackett. Let’s not forget that Benning is a great scout in his own right. I don’t think he’s going to all of a sudden forget how to evaluate talent if Brackett leaves.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Provost said:

I got a lot of heat saying this back when just Gear was promoted and Benning also threw a little shade at Brackett publicly by making two statements. “Gear’s promotion allows myself and Weisbrod to take a bigger role in scouting”, and   “We promoted him (Brackett) from a part-time scout to full-time.  We have offered him a contract, and will see what happens.

 

It contrasted a lot with what he said about Gear and instead of the stock public answer of “Judd is a really talented and valuable member of our team, and we are working towards getting a contract done”... he suggested that a take it or leave it contract offer was on the table, while putting him in his place with the reminder he was recently only a part-time guy.

 

At the same time we were getting reports from local media that Brackett was a Linden guy and wanted assurances of how much day he would have in the scouting department.

 

 

Where exactly did that "take it or leave it" come from? In my experience when negotiating, typically one party makes an offer and then waits for the other party to respond. The response can be an acceptance, a rejection, or a counter-offer. Saying that we have made him an offer and we will see what happens absolutely does not imply that the offer was "take it or leave it".

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

He doesn't want a promotion he wants his autonomy back that Linden gave him and he was stripped of.

Perhaps he wants both a promotion and more autonomy.

And maybe he wants more money than he's being offered too.

 

We don't know. But hopefully it gets worked out and he signs a lengthy contract extension.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Provost said:

Petterson was absolutely a Brackett pick, every report says that Benning had to be convinced to pick him by an intense pressure campaign from Brackett and Hammarstrom.

 

Brackett had Hughes really high on his list (like #3), but apparently Benning also liked Hayton as much as Hughes.  If Hayton hadn’t gone off the. Sore before we picked, who knows which guy we would have picked.

 

So suggesting Brackett May have a feeling of entitlement is like saying Petterson has a feeling of being entitled to being on the top line... is it entitlement if you have earned it?

Apparently? Who knows, indeed.

 

I don't listen to the same reports you do, so I'm not privy to any reports about Brackett being a scouting god and Benning having to be intensely pressured into making all the top pick(s). 

 

I get it, you love Brackett and possibly dislike Benning. I, personally, trust in Benning, as he's the GM who has turned around our organization, and he and his team deserve (Benning first and foremost) credit, not just Brackett.

 

But, honestly, I'm not even interested in going down another discussion road with you. I don't even like that I've responded this much. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Is Brackett a backup goalie? The love for this guy is getting outta hand. Lol. I think we’ll be okay without him. Lets not get carried away here. Y’all making it sound like he’s a god or something. If he sticks around, great. If not, oh well. 

Canucks have been making great at draft picks with him at the helm.

I'd rather not screw up a good thing no matter who deserves credit. If its working keep it rolling.

And its been working great lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do people really think the amateur scouting department is going to fall apart if he leaves?  From what I've read, the Canucks have a standardized system to evaluate now, and as long as they have a good staff, which apparently they do, they can absorb losing someone like Judd.  Good organizations always have to deal with losing talent.  

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Do people really think the amateur scouting department is going to fall apart if he leaves?  From what I've read, the Canucks have a standardized system to evaluate now, and as long as they have a good staff, which apparently they do, they can absorb losing someone like Judd.  Good organizations always have to deal with losing talent.  

That's right! Remember people...we still have Ron Freakin' Delorme!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

 

That's right! Remember people...we still have Ron Freakin' Delorme!!

And Brandon SOG Benning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

 

That's right! Remember people...we still have Ron Freakin' Delorme!!

The Delorme who lobbied hard for the Canucks to take Petey? Canucks fans should appreciate that. I know I do. But I am guessing that you don't.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Provost said:

Petterson was absolutely a Brackett pick, every report says that Benning had to be convinced to pick him by an intense pressure campaign from Brackett and Hammarstrom.

 

Brackett had Hughes really high on his list (like #3), but apparently Benning also liked Hayton as much as Hughes.  If Hayton hadn’t gone off the. Sore before we picked, who knows which guy we would have picked.

 

So suggesting Brackett May have a feeling of entitlement is like saying Petterson has a feeling of being entitled to being on the top line... is it entitlement if you have earned it?

Late to the party here but.... 

 

1.) as has been pointed out Delorme was the one who pushed Petey from the start. 
 

2.) where did you hear the Hayton rumour???  I have trouble believing Benning viewed him as anything close to Hughes considering he told Quinn he wouldn’t get past them AND the response he had when Quinn fell. 
 

I have no problem with liking Judd and hoping he sticks around but I’m really curious about some of the narrative surrounding him.

  • Hydration 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I hear/see a lot of supposition and pure conjecture about this, but I've yet to be presented with one piece of factual information indicating this. 

As far as I can tell theories about Judd being on the 'outs' are as valid as theories that JM doesn't want to be here because he's not signed a team-friendly long-term contract with no clauses yet. 

 

I'm not saying he's going or staying, just that there's no reason to believe he's on 'bad terms' with the franchise or anyone working in the franchise.

in both cases the team and player/employee are in negotiations.

What would you expect to hear exactly?

 

there is a Benning quote that has a 'take it or leave it' sound, Re Brackett, what do you hear when reading that?

 

I live in Victoria, i never talk to Jim or any of the other players in this situation, I do not have inside information. What I do is read internet info and express opinion based on that. What do you do?

 

for all I know Jim and Judd might be lovers, but I have no info to support that. I the info I have read supports Judd leaving the Canucks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Is Brackett a backup goalie? The love for this guy is getting outta hand. Lol. I think we’ll be okay without him. Lets not get carried away here. Y’all making it sound like he’s a god or something. If he sticks around, great. If not, oh well. 

That is kind of funny because there are several posters here that regularly say they expect Benning to "Do his magic" at the draft table.

If Benning is the guy doing the magic, then great, he is the guy we need to keep.

But if the "Magic" is actually the work of Judd Brackett, then he is the important cog.

If that "Magic" is the work of Chris Gear or John Weisbrod then they need to be kept.

These guys are not interchangable, one guy might be Petey and another Loui E. It is important to know who is who

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, lmm said:

That is kind of funny because there are several posters here that regularly say they expect Benning to "Do his magic" at the draft table.

If Benning is the guy doing the magic, then great, he is the guy we need to keep.

But if the "Magic" is actually the work of Judd Brackett, then he is the important cog.

If that "Magic" is the work of Chris Gear or John Weisbrod then they need to be kept.

These guys are not interchangable, one guy might be Petey and another Loui E. It is important to know who is who

And what about the entirety of the scouting staff?  They have multiple scouts looking at the same players to build consensus. Judd doesn't make reccomendations based on players he's seen alone- that would be ridiculous.  The regional scouts play a big role- the Director of Am. Scouting takes a lot of direction/info from them.  

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lmm said:

 

there is a Benning quote that has a 'take it or leave it' sound, Re Brackett, what do you hear when reading that?

 

I live in Victoria, i never talk to Jim or any of the other players in this situation, I do not have inside information. What I do is read internet info and express opinion based on that. What do you do?

 

for all I know Jim and Judd might be lovers, but I have no info to support that. I the info I have read supports Judd leaving the Canucks

I read/watch what everyone else does, we all do.

 

What I try not to do, and what I admittedly have probably been guilty of doing in the past, is read too much between the lines.  That's when a simple, ordinary, run-of-the-mill contract offer/negotiation gets twisted and all of a sudden becomes speculation about a guy being on the 'outs' with an entire organization. 

 

Again, I ask, has anyone here heard factual information indicating Judd is not on good terms with anyone in the organization? 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2020 at 7:58 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I couldn't disagree more.:angry:

k

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I read/watch what everyone else does, we all do.

 

What I try not to do, and what I admittedly have probably been guilty of doing in the past, is read too much between the lines.  That's when a simple, ordinary, run-of-the-mill contract offer/negotiation gets twisted and all of a sudden becomes speculation about a guy being on the 'outs' with an entire organization. 

 

Again, I ask, has anyone here heard factual information indicating Judd is not on good terms with anyone in the organization? 

so we agree that we are both just fans trying to make sense of what we read and hear.

Neither you nor I are playing the "I got a buddy who works for the sister of Jim's housekeeper, so you can take this to the bank..." card.

But where do you think that info would come from, that Judd is unhappy?

It is not in his best interest to leak that kind of info.

All it would do is weaken his bargaining position with the Canucks and any other team he hopes to work for.

Sometimes coaches use the media as do players and occasionally owners, but they never look good when they do.

If Judd leaked info about his displeasure with the Canucks other teams will look at him as someone who cannot be trusted.

So where would that info come from?

 

I think reading between the lines is really our only "source"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

The Delorme who lobbied hard for the Canucks to take Petey? Canucks fans should appreciate that. I know I do. But I am guessing that you don't.

 

No, I do actually.  I'm just being a bit sarcastic in response to all the people who were calling for his head not too long ago.  I can't say for sure how he did in his role as director of scouting (if that was actually his title), but I know that I loved the heart and tenacity he showed as a player.  The photo below from the Canucks' '82 playoff run, after Delorme avenged Grant Mulvey's dirty run at Lars Lindgren, is a classic part of Canucks history.  I just wish that they would show this game as one of the Retro NHL games they're replaying now.

 

Chicago Blackhawks vs Vancouver Canucks, 1982 NHL Prince of Wales Conference Finals : News Photo

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.