The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judd Brackett

Rate this topic

Fred65

8 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Absolutely, however it has been reported that Brackett was neither asking for a raise or complain about the length. What he wants is a better defined role, as I understand. Success does warrant some recognition, for mort employees in what ever job they have. Some times it's promotion, some times it's a bonus system some time it's just acknowledgement.

From what I've read he wants full autonomy over the scouting department. I don't know of many GM's that aren't involved in the scouting. Their head is typically first on the block after all. With Benning having set the department in his own direction, plus his scouting background, I'm not surprised he's against giving full control over to Brackett.

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, Baggins said:

From what I've read he wants full autonomy over the scouting department. I don't know of many GM's that aren't involved in the scouting. Their head is typically first on the block after all. With Benning having set the department in his own direction, plus his scouting background, I'm not surprised he's against giving full control over to Brackett.

If this were true Baggins and we go with that scenario, maybe this is where it would be trouble ?

If Judd was responsible for a lot of the draft pick recommendations that Benning has been happy with, then i can see Judd being upset with Benning now wanting to be more involved or not giving him more trust as he has earned, while at the same time seeing Gear promoted, (and i too see nothing spectacular with any of the contracts Gear helped Benning ink)

Edited by ba;;isticsports
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

...while at the same time seeing Gear promoted, and i see nothing spectacular with any of the contracts he helped Benning ink

Pretty much every contact we've signed after Beagle and Roussel have come in at under what all the talking heads were predicting.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Pretty much every contact we've signed after Beagle and Roussel have come in at under what all the talking heads were predicting.

what?

Someone had Myers over $6 mil?

• Cheers 1

Reading a recent article on Canucks Army they discussed McDonough and it struck me that regardless of the Brackett problem, Vcr has in his time here, developed a good relationship with the USHL and in particular with a mutual agreement with N'Eastern Unv.  When you look at Gaudette, Madden and McDonough they all came through the USHL and N'Eastern plus of course Malone at USHL & Cornell. That's quite a position of strength lets hope some other team becomes the beneficiary of Bracketts relationship. 

27 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Reading a recent article on Canucks Army they discussed McDonough and it struck me that regardless of the Brackett problem, Vcr has in his time here, developed a good relationship with the USHL and in particular with a mutual agreement with N'Eastern Unv.  When you look at Gaudette, Madden and McDonough they all came through the USHL and N'Eastern plus of course Malone at USHL & Cornell. That's quite a position of strength lets hope some other team becomes the beneficiary of Bracketts relationship. 

As has been discussed numerous times in the thread, Weisbrod also has USHL connections. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

As has been discussed numerous times in the thread, Weisbrod also has USHL connections. 

I believe the Canucks scout who has built the relationships with the college guys who have come to Vancouver is Jonathan Bates. I could be wrong. Could anybody out there confirm that Bates is the guy who does a lot to build relationships with NCAA players?

We will be fine without Brackett.  

This topic has become far over rated.  

Sometimes there are opportunities that come along that allow us to be more, or be that person that we strive to be.

Im sure Brackett has opportunities elsewhere to help him further his career, be more fluid with his personal life, possibly more lucrative, or demographically content.

Lets stop revolving in the door that crappy sports journalists spin in this city.

Equally,  where there is a void,.  perhaps someone outstanding is about to prove himself amazing.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I believe the Canucks scout who has built the relationships with the college guys who have come to Vancouver is Jonathan Bates. I could be wrong. Could anybody out there confirm that Bates is the guy who does a lot to build relationships with NCAA players?

That's interesting, I recall years ago Smyl was the point man for NCAA FA signing but that was a long time ago and then I recall Ryan Johnson brought Tanev onboard. I'd be interested to know who leads that specific job now.

Elite Prospects show him as collage and Pro scout until 2015

https://www.eliteprospects.com/staff/12021/jonathan-bates

Man I'm glad you asked that question ref NCAA scouting I found this

asked Benning about the search for NCAA free agents this year; they secured Josh Teves and Brogan Rafferty last year. They’ve been active in chasing collegians in the past.

In his answer, he brought up Jonathan Bates and Pat Conacher, the two scouts who focus on the NCAA. Bates has been doing the job for some time and has a strong track record in helping land the long series of collegiate free agents the team has added over the past decade, starting with Chris Tanev. Conacher was involved with the Utica Comets until this season, when he was moved over to scouting college hockey alongside Bates. He was well-regarded for finding depth players for the Comets.

That Benning went out of his way to note their work stood out. It’s not often he does that with specific scouts.

When he was asked about the amateur scouting meeting, which took place this week in Fort Lauderdale, he spoke in general terms. He spoke of the team of scouts, of how they’ve been together for a while, of how they know what they’ve got. He spoke confidently in their work.

But I did find it interesting he didn’t directly mention Judd Brackett, the director of amateur scouting. Maybe that was an error of omission. But it’s been clear lately that Benning’s long-standing assistant general manager John Weisbrod, who worked as a pro scout for the Stars and then did pro scouting and collegiate scouting for the Bruins, has been more involved in scouting.

This I'm guessing this doesn't include the likes of Gaudette, Madden McDonough but will be involved in I'm guessing Rafferty etc

Edited by Fred65

8 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

That's interesting, I recall years ago Smyl was the point man for NCAA FA signing but that was a long time ago and then I recall Ryan Johnson brought Tanev onboard. I'd be interested to know who leads that specific job now.

Elite Prospects show him as collage and Pro scout until 2015

https://www.eliteprospects.com/staff/12021/jonathan-bates

Don't know why Bates isn't listed on Elite Prospects as remaining with the Canucks, but he is listed and pictured on this website under Roster, then Coaches and Staff. I recall reading sometime in the last year that Brackett or Johnson gave Bates credit for his work with the NCAA prospects.

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Many were predicting $7x7 and likely ED protection IIRC. None of which happened.

Myers wanted to be closer to home, which is why we had him at a discount with no ED protection (Seattle is pretty much the same distance between Vancouver and Kelowna). He would have gotten the predicted norm if he has signed somewhere else. Excluding Edmonton, Calgary and possibly re-signing with Winnipeg.

8 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Hope your being toungue in cheek hear Imm,  I heard the personalities in this town talking 7- 7.5.

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

We will be fine without Brackett.  

This topic has become far over rated.  

Sometimes there are opportunities that come along that allow us to be more, or be that person that we strive to be.

Im sure Brackett has opportunities elsewhere to help him further his career, be more fluid with his personal life, possibly more lucrative, or demographically content.

Lets stop revolving in the door that crappy sports journalists spin in this city.

Equally,  where there is a void,.  perhaps someone outstanding is about to prove himself amazing.

me tongue in cheek?

I one post you call them "personalities talking $7-7.5"

and 4 posts later you call them "crappy sports journalists"

was one or both of those statements tongue in cheek

maybe I should look to crappy sports personalities for a little consistancy

2 hours ago, lmm said:

me tongue in cheek?

I one post you call them "personalities talking $7-7.5"

and 4 posts later you call them "crappy sports journalists"

was one or both of those statements tongue in cheek

maybe I should look to crappy sports personalities for a little consistancy

Is there really a difference here?    Don’t get confused in your own search for perfection .

There is none.

one of comments was on the topic of Myers,.. the other Brackett.

200.gif

Edited by SilentSam