The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kings sign Tyler Madden

22 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Agreed on re-signing Toffoli.  Makes it worth it if we have Toffoli for 3-4 more years.  Need an Eriksson compliance buyout and everything works out okay.

You're not getting Toffoli for 3-4 years through his prime. Its going to need to be 6 - 7 years. And he's not going to be cheap.

Madden will need Ahl time. Maybe 2 years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Really not sure we can afford the kind of numbers and term he will be demanding...   Great player deserves a solid long term deal. 

I think it takes the Eriksson contract to lock him up 6 million for 6 years. It’s longer than I’d like but I’d do it so it’s not 10 games of Toffoli for Madden and a 2nd round pick.

• Cheers 1

On 3/30/2020 at 9:17 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

Congrats to Madden.

Happy we got Toffoli...happier if he can be resigned.

If Toffoli cannot be resigned, and he does not play any more games this year because of the worst pandemic in 100 years, some people will use hindsight to say it was a bad trade. And to those people I say...I hope you get covid-19...:lol:

Kidding of course...:ph34r:

That really wouldn't be hindsight though. Everyone knew it was a possibility that Toffoli wouldn't re-sign. If your logic stands then is it also hindsight to say that it's a good trade if he does re-sign? JB took the risk and we'll see if it pays off. Fingers crossed.

• Upvote 1

On 3/31/2020 at 3:28 AM, old guy said:

When Madden was drafted by the Canucks I'm sure they expected that he would grow an inch or two over the next 2--3 years and put on 15--20  pounds, and reasonably so, but the guy completely stalled out. I don't think he has put on a single pound since being drafted which means he is always going to be small and skinny. Doesn't mean he can't be successful, but he's up against it , far from a sure thing, and he's risky.

It seems as if some posters would rather a prospect gain 20 pounds and grow an inch or two rather than actually become a lot better at hockey.

The point is that Madden has elevated his game significantly since being drafted, into perhaps a first round grade, yet there are posts like this that suggest he "stalled out" merely because of his physical attributes.

6 hours ago, Grape said:

It seems as if some posters would rather a prospect gain 20 pounds and grow an inch or two rather than actually become a lot better at hockey.

The point is that Madden has elevated his game significantly since being drafted, into perhaps a first round grade, yet there are posts like this that suggest he "stalled out" merely because of his physical attributes.

You misunderstand my post. I appreciate Madden's skill and think he has a chance at being successful in the NHL. When I said he stalled out I wasn't referring to his hockey skills but simply to his physical development. This is a hurdle he will have to overcome and perhaps influenced the Canucks  decision to trade him.  That's what I was suggesting. What Madden did in college was impressive.

Just now, aGENT said:

And apparently able to see the future?

Markstrom was injured, don't even know if he can jump back in right away when he got back, Demko was not at level. Boeser was injured and they were win some lose some in the tail end of the season. I don't have a crystal ball but been a fan long enough to know that it ain't going to happen.

I was against this trade from day one.
Im not a rental fan...unless Canucks have a real Shot at a Cup run...and this Canuck team was just trying to make the playoffs. Thats a low bar and not in contention for a serious Cup run.

if Toffoli does sign with Canucks i hope its a 1 or 2 yr deal and not longer. Canucks saw Toffoli on his scoring high im not sure we want to see him on his streaky not scoring low mostly with a big paycheck.

honestly i dont think he’ll sign with Canucks. hes a LA King at hart. He was just a Canuck rental to make the playoffs.

Anywho wish Madden well. Seems like a good kid. had a great College season i dont really see him being a bust.

Losing the 2nd rounder also a kick in the nuts. 

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, smokes said:

Markstrom was injured, don't even know if he can jump back in right away when he got back, Demko was not at level. Boeser was injured and they were win some lose some in the tail end of the season. I don't have a crystal ball but been a fan long enough to know that it ain't going to happen.

What are the lotto Max numbers for this Friday Kreskin?

I wonder what happens with deadline rental trades like this if the season can't be finished.

It seems some kind of concession would have to be made if we don't get the benefit of this trade if the season can't be completed.

• Cheers 1