The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Mix Exchange - COVID 19 edition

Rate this topic

Kragar

I'll try to get to it. I honestly didn't enjoy mine much, making it harder to write a review. And I'm further discouraged by the lazy review my mix received. Just like the last few times. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

A little something to lighten the mood?  I considered sharing this in the coronavirus thread, but I'm trying to not get involved there.

Due to certain events, my boss today happen to mention the words "covid's in the air".  Upon hearing the phrase, an old earworm came back, and I couldn't get the old disco tune out of my head.

So, I wrote this:

Covid’s in the air

Everywhere I look around

Covids in the air

But no sight of it nor sound

And I don’t know if I’m being ghoulish

Don’t know if I’m being wise

But its something we all must believe in

If it’s bad, it might melt your eyes (poetic license alert)

Covid’s in the air

In the blast of your sneeze

Covid’s in the air

One big blunder then you’ll wheeze

And I don’t know if I’m just nauseous

Don’t know if I feel sane

Fever’s something that I must believe in

I’m sick and wondering who to blame

Covid’s in the air

Covid’s in the air

*cough *cough *cough

*moan *long moan

• Cheers 1
24 minutes ago, Kragar said:

A little something to lighten the mood?  I considered sharing this in the coronavirus thread, but I'm trying to not get involved there.

Due to certain events, my boss today happen to mention the words "covid's in the air".  Upon hearing the phrase, an old earworm came back, and I couldn't get the old disco tune out of my head.

So, I wrote this:

Covid’s in the air

Everywhere I look around

Covids in the air

But no sight of it nor sound

And I don’t know if I’m being ghoulish

Don’t know if I’m being wise

But its something we all must believe in

If it’s bad, it might melt your eyes (poetic license alert)

Covid’s in the air

In the blast of your sneeze

Covid’s in the air

One big blunder then you’ll wheeze

And I don’t know if I’m just nauseous

Don’t know if I feel sane

Fever’s something that I must believe in

I’m sick and wondering who to blame

Covid’s in the air

Covid’s in the air

*cough *cough *cough

*moan *long moan

I hear these lyrics to this melody

China Crisis highest high:

Neat bass line. Brings you back to the 80s(mind you I was not born!). Solid drumming and vocals too.

7/11

Donald Faegen- new frontier:

Solid tune. Related to the current times. The video is quite neat too.

7/11

Pixies- Wave of Mutiliation

My favourite so far. Guitar at the start sets the tone for the rest of the song.

9/11

Rem - sweetness follows:

When your band name puts you to sleep you expect quality. And they deliver. Not quite as good as the pixies one tho

7/11

I'm running out of battery and it's late so part 2 will have to come tomorrow;)

15 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

Had some time to kill and had an idea for a playlist based on a song a friend was listening to NIN - Everyday is Exactly the Same

Hope you enjoy!

(Its a playlist so should just play through all the songs)

Late to the party, but welcome aboard.  Enjoy!  Things are winding down, with a few reviews left to come.  Check back over the next few days, and all our lists should be here to enjoy.  I'll be sure to give yours a listen too, when I get a chance.

On 4/8/2020 at 2:59 PM, Ceres said:

I'll try to get to it. I honestly didn't enjoy mine much, making it harder to write a review. And I'm further discouraged by the lazy review my mix received. Just like the last few times. 

Claim your playlist and give us a really lazy review of the one you received then.

Mix Review - @Kurisu's Mix (I'm assuming). This is a horrible review and I apologize for that. 

1. slowthai - Deal Wiv It

I &^@# heavily with this. The instrumentals on this are great and compelling. I like this punkish and aggressive rap style as well. Super good song, especially considering I'm not one to listen to much UK Hip Hop in the first place. I've heard lots of good things about his stuff but I've never actually listened. I'll definitely be checking out some more. 

Unfortunately, the rest of the mix would be downhill from here. :P

2. Kacey Musgraves -High Horse

I didn't expect to be listening to this, lol. I'm not a country guy, and not much of a pop guy either. So the combo is lethal for me. I mean, it's not terrible. The singing on the chorus is pretty nice. But I won't lie: I was hoping it would finish so I could move onto the next song.

3. Sturgill Simpson - Sing Along

I'm not sure how I feel about this. The genre blending is kinda interesting on this but feels a bit off. It's like country/blues singing over top of neo-psych instrumentals....weird. Not bad, but not totally my thing.

4. My Morning Jacket - Sec Walkin

It's a nice song, but again, this type of singing is not really my thing. 

5. Turnpike Troubadours - Pipe Bomb Dream

Ok, so more country. I hate coming across so disparaging towards a genre but this just not enjoyable for me. 

6. Lunar Vacation - Blue Honey 

This song really saved me and restored my energy to keep listening to the mix. It's a simple indie song, but the vocals and melodies are very sweet. Definitely my second favourite song from the mix.

7. Radio Moscow - Frustrating Sound

Frustrating Sound

8. Skepta - No Security 

OK, so more UK Hip Hop. I'm into it. There isn't much to it instrumentally, but I at least enjoyed it. 

9. Cody Jinks - The Wanting

And we're back to country. The wanting for the next song. 

10. Weezer  - Troublemaker

Oh baby. This song has everything you could want. Amazing riffs! Hilarious lyrics! Very memeable, indeed. 

I remember being 10 and thinking this was the greatest $&!# ever, no lies. 

11. IDK - Once Upon a Time ft. Denzel Curry

Good song. Instrumentals are very slick. Both IDK and Denzel deliver.

Overall Verdict: A lot of frustrating sounds. No stylistic cohesion in the Mix but I'm sure that was intentional. But there were some enjoyable moments in here. I appreciate the introduction into slowthai. I'll give this mix three huggy bears. Deal wiv it.

huggbear2.pnghuggbear2.pnghuggbear2.png

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Mix Review - @Kurisu's Mix (I'm assuming). This is a horrible review and I apologize for that. 

I &^@# heavily with this. The instrumentals on this are great and compelling. I like this punkish and aggressive rap style as well. Super good song, especially considering I'm not one to listen to much UK Hip Hop in the first place. I've heard lots of good things about his stuff but I've never actually listened. I'll definitely be checking out some more. 

I didn't expect to be listening to this, lol. I'm not a country guy, and not much of a pop guy either. So the combo is lethal for me. I mean, it's not terrible. The singing on the chorus is pretty nice. But I won't lie: I was hoping it would finish so I could move onto the next song.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. The genre blending is kinda interesting on this but feels a bit off. It's like country/blues singing over top of neo-psych instrumentals....weird. Not bad, but not totally my thing.

Ok, so more country. I hate coming across so disparaging towards a genre but this just not enjoyable for me. 

This song really saved me and restored my energy to keep listening to the mix. It's a simple indie song, but the vocals and melodies are very sweet. Definitely my second favourite song from the mix.

Frustrating Sound

8. Skepta - No Security 

OK, so more UK Hip Hop. I'm into it. There isn't much to it instrumentally, but I at least enjoyed it. 

Oh baby. This song has everything you could want. Amazing riffs! Hilarious lyrics! Very memeable, indeed. 

Overall Verdict: A lot of frustrating sounds. No stylistic cohesion in the Mix but I'm sure that was intentional. But there were some enjoyable moments in here. I appreciate the introduction into slowthai. I'll give this mix three huggy bears. Deal wiv it.

Well you liked exactly all the songs I expected you to like at least :wub:

I'm posting my own review tonight, rather soon, don't worry

• Huggy Bear 1

Protest the Hero - Blindfolds Aside: 6.5/10
I guess this is metalcore? I had a brief phase of that. Can't say I found this to be much more than run-of-the-mill, but I have a soft spot for this type of music so it ain't bad. Vocals were tasteful. Bonus point for the more acoustic outro, thought it was cool.

Comeback Kid - Partners In Crime: 4/10
Hardcore punk, now that's a bad matchup for me. I really can't get past the vocals on this, it sounds like how I would sing if I was trying to make fun of punk music. It was a little more tolerable once I just started nodding my head to it I guess. Not great boss.

Street Dogs - Not Without A Purpose: 7.5/10
Pretty boppin'! A more standard brand of punk. Immediately reminded me of Dropkick Murphys, lo and behold, same singer. This one is good fun, I'll be adding it to my library.

The Used - The Taste of Ink: 6.5/10
A litte more punk, why not?! This one is more poppy, Wikipedia calls this band emo and I can definitely hear that on this one. I'm not familiar with it, but it brings me right back to the stuff I would listen to as a kid. Not amazing, not bad though.

Against Me! - Don't Lose Touch: 5/10
Punk, punk, punk. Another okay song, although at this point in the mix I'm feeling a little beat over the head with this style of music and vocals.

City and Colour - Save Your Scissors: 8.5/10
Never listened to City and Colour, despite my friends being really in to them (him?). Nice change-up in the mix. I very much dig this, lovely little relaxed acoustic track with interesting lyrics and nice vocals. My favourite song on the mix, definitely adding this to my collection.

Cancer Bats - French Immersion: 5/10
Nice transition between songs lol. More hardcore punk. Nice and heavy, could definitely rock to it, but it wouldn't be my first choice in that department. Like the Comeback Kids song before, just move your head to it and it's not too bad, maybe that's what it was made for.

Alexisonfire - Rough Hands: 5/10
I enjoy the sung vocals on this and instrumentals. The screamed vocals aren't the best though IMO, could've been a pretty cool song if they weren't used so much and were of better quality. The breakup lyrics combined with the song are a bit too melodramatic for me aswell lol.

Bad Astronaut - Minus: 8/10
Now this is cool, another different flavour for the mix. Loved the strings and acoustic elements on this. Created an almost haunting vibe. Another song I'll be adding, and a band I'll be checking out.

Overall: 6.2/10
Not too bad, I listened to this mix about 3 times. Honestly, I'm definitely not huge in to punk or its many subgenres, which is pretty predominant here. At first I hated a lot of songs on this mix, but I gave it some more time and was able to find something enjoyable in most of the songs. I gained a few nice tracks for my library, so cheers to that. I read about all the artists on here and found the mix is pretty damn Canadian. Based on the content and what I know about him, I'll guess this mix belongs to @luckylager . Sorry I'm late, I'll do better next time.

Edited by Kurisu
  • Cheers 1
11 hours ago, Kurisu said:

Protest the Hero - Blindfolds Aside: 6.5/10
I guess this is metalcore? I had a brief phase of that. Can't say I found this to be much more than run-of-the-mill, but I have a soft spot for this type of music so it ain't bad. Vocals were tasteful. Bonus point for the more acoustic outro, thought it was cool.

Comeback Kid - Partners In Crime: 4/10
Hardcore punk, now that's a bad matchup for me. I really can't get past the vocals on this, it sounds like how I would sing if I was trying to make fun of punk music. It was a little more tolerable once I just started nodding my head to it I guess. Not great boss.

Street Dogs - Not Without A Purpose: 7.5/10
Pretty boppin'! A more standard brand of punk. Immediately reminded me of Dropkick Murphys, lo and behold, same singer. This one is good fun, I'll be adding it to my library.

The Used - The Taste of Ink: 6.5/10
A litte more punk, why not?! This one is more poppy, Wikipedia calls this band emo and I can definitely hear that on this one. I'm not familiar with it, but it brings me right back to the stuff I would listen to as a kid. Not amazing, not bad though.

Against Me! - Don't Lose Touch: 5/10
Punk, punk, punk. Another okay song, although at this point in the mix I'm feeling a little beat over the head with this style of music and vocals.

City and Colour - Save Your Scissors: 8.5/10
Never listened to City and Colour, despite my friends being really in to them (him?). Nice change-up in the mix. I very much dig this, lovely little relaxed acoustic track with interesting lyrics and nice vocals. My favourite song on the mix, definitely adding this to my collection.

Cancer Bats - French Immersion: 5/10
Nice transition between songs lol. More hardcore punk. Nice and heavy, could definitely rock to it, but it wouldn't be my first choice in that department. Like the Comeback Kids song before, just move your head to it and it's not too bad, maybe that's what it was made for.

Alexisonfire - Rough Hands: 5/10
I enjoy the sung vocals on this and instrumentals. The screamed vocals aren't the best though IMO, could've been a pretty cool song if they weren't used so much and were of better quality. The breakup lyrics combined with the song are a bit too melodramatic for me aswell lol.

Bad Astronaut - Minus: 8/10
Now this is cool, another different flavour for the mix. Loved the strings and acoustic elements on this. Created an almost haunting vibe. Another song I'll be adding, and a band I'll be checking out.

Overall: 6.2/10
Not too bad, I listened to this mix about 3 times. Honestly, I'm definitely not huge in to punk or its many subgenres, which is pretty predominant here. At first I hated a lot of songs on this mix, but I gave it some more time and was able to find something enjoyable in most of the songs. I gained a few nice tracks for my library, so cheers to that. I read about all the artists on here and found the mix is pretty damn Canadian. Based on the content and what I know about him, I'll guess this mix belongs to @luckylager . Sorry I'm late, I'll do better next time.

:wub::wub::wub:  Glad you could find some things you liked. I know it's punk heavy (and more scream-y) and that it's probably not to most people's tastes, so I really appreciate you listening to it 3x and finding things that were okay in all the songs.  Also really impressive to read about all artists, even when you aren't really liking their sound.:wub:

• Cheers 2
17 hours ago, Ceres said:

Frustrating Sound

8. Skepta - No Security 

Pretty funny... I have similar feelings about the mix, but except for Weezer, and to a lesser extent Lunar Vacation, our tastes were diametrically opposed :) 

This reminds me a little of my first mix, which you reviewed.  I (poor planning on my part) made it less cohesive, and that was something that really got to you, especially since every 2nd song was stuff you didn't much care for.  I hope I do better now, at least for cohesion :P

• Cheers 1