Sign in to follow this  
-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #13

Rate this topic

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #13  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Shortly after Edler gets in at #10, Ohlund at #12 is voted the second greatest Canuck defenseman of all-time. Boudrias won a closely fought nominations battle with Kearns in a return to the 70s, but edged him out by one nomination.

Reminder to both vote and nominate another player to be added as a voting option!

For those of you who haven't seen these kinds of polls before, the way they work is you vote for who you think is the greatest/top Canuck at the position. As for what is meant by "Greatest" or "Top", I will leave that to each individual. I have my own interpretations, but others may define it differently. Worth noting, that I do want to keep this to their tenures with Vancouver and as players, thus a player like Neely would only be considered for his Vancouver time and guys like Quinn and Crawford would only be considered for their playing careers, not their coaching careers.

The List:

#1 - H. Sedin

#2 - D. Sedin

#3 - T. Linden

#4 - P. Bure

#5 - M. Naslund

#6 - S. Smyl

#7 - R. Luongo

#8 - K. McLean

#9 - T. Gradin

#10 - A. Edler

-------------------

#11 - T. Bertuzzi

#12 - M. Ohlund

• Thanks 1
  • Sedinery 1
  • Vintage 2

I expect this one to be a closely fought battle between Kes and Burr.

I myself am again voting for Kesler. For my next nomination I'm moving to the second Russian superstar we had, Alex Mogilny.

Posted (edited)

Vote:  Richard Brodeur

- See those 1982 banners in the rafters?

eezz03rq08g41.png

8398280052_814fcf0833_b.jpg

They are there because of one guy...

316798.jpg

Nominate:  Doug Lidster

- One of only two defensemen to be team captain in Canucks history, still the team record holder for defensemen with 63 points in one season.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 2
  • Sedinery 1

Voted Brodeur

Nominating Patrik Sundstrom

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Vote:  Richard Brodeur

- See those 1982 banners in the rafters?

eezz03rq08g41.png

8398280052_814fcf0833_b.jpg

They are there because of one guy...

316798.jpg

Nominate:  Doug Lidster

- One of only two defensemen to be team captain in Canucks history, still the team record holder for defensemen with 63 points in one season.

I have Lidster right after Mogilny. Great nomination of a guy who I think is still a bit underrated often.

• Like 1

For me, it’s a toss-up between Kesler and Burrows. Voted Kesler, so Burrows goes #14.

Nominating Dennis Kearns.

• Hydration 1
  • Sedinery 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I have Lidster right after Mogilny. Great nomination of a guy who I think is still a bit underrated often.

Mogilny was a hell of a player.  I would put him in the Hall of Fame and he's competing for the #1 spot as most talented player to put on a Canucks jersey.

I just view his time here as kind of like how the St. Louis Blues might view Doug Gilmour.  A small handful of seasons, one very good one, and then off to the next chapter for him.  He's damn close to the perfect player for illustrating how wide the divide can be between "best player" and "greatest Canuck" for me.

But I still have him on the list for sure.  He's one of, I think (offhand) five players to ever score 100 points in our not-very-storied offensive history.

The bloody Oilers had four guys score 100 points in the same season, three times, before we ever had one guy score 100 points even once.

And they entered the league 10 years after us.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Mogilny was a hell of a player.  I would put him in the Hall of Fame and he's competing for the #1 spot as most talented player to put on a Canucks jersey.

I just view his time here as kind of like how the St. Louis Blues might view Doug Gilmour.  A small handful of seasons, one very good one, and then off to the next chapter for him.  He's damn close to the perfect player for illustrating how wide the divide can be between "best player" and "greatest Canuck" for me.

But I still have him on the list.  He's one of, I think (offhand) five players to ever score 100 points in our not-very-storied offensive history.

The bloody Oilers had four guys score 100 points in the same season, three times, before we ever had one guy score 100 points even once.

Absolutely fantastic player and definitely should be in the HOF.  Was so excited when I heard we'd traded for him, only to not see him play with Bure nearly enough.  We're a couple of players away from me nominating him.  Also one of the most interesting paths to the NHL in the history of the sport:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/defector-2/

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Absolutely fantastic player and definitely should be in the HOF.  Was so excited when I heard we'd traded for him, only to not see him play with Bure nearly enough.  We're a couple of players away from me nominating him.  Also one of the most interesting paths to the NHL in the history of the sport:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/defector-2/

Yes was as excited when I heard we got him as I was later on with Luongo - Both times I was pretty sure we were going back to the finals...if Bure and Mogilny both played full seasons with each other that would have been something else..and of course if Messier just fell in line as our second line center and maybe took an A too.   Best team on paper we have ever had by a long shot.  

Just now, IBatch said:

Yes was as excited when I heard we got him as I was later on with Luongo - Both times I was pretty sure we were going back to the finals...if Bure and Mogilny both played full seasons with each other that would have been something else..and of course if Messier just fell in line as our second line center and maybe took an A too.   Best team on paper we have ever had by a long shot.  

Just illustrates perfectly the anti-leadership that guy brought to the team.  And how laughable it is that he just sits on his rocking chair eating Lays Chips and at the end of the year picks whoever he likes best to win a league award named after him and his leadership.

He took a championship roster and piloted it into the ground at light speed.  Literally the second he grabbed the controls the plane started nosediving.

Linden's time with the Islanders, Canadiens and Capitals is forgettable.  But he didn't hollow out the team like a cancerous termite and then have to be bought out before that was even a thing in the NHL just to make the cancer go away.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Just illustrates perfectly the anti-leadership that guy brought to the team.  And how laughable it is that he just sits on his rocking chair eating Lays Chips and at the end of the year picks whoever he likes best to win a league award named after him and his leadership.

He took a championship roster and piloted it into the ground at light speed.  Literally the second he grabbed the controls the plane started nosediving.

Linden's time with the Islanders, Canadiens and Capitals is forgettable.  But he didn't hollow out the team like a cancerous termite and then have to be bought out before that was even a thing in the NHL just to make the cancer go away.

The only good thing from this was the Linden trade and how that haul created key parts of two cores - three if you follow it to today in Markstrom...still it was a gigantic waste of a loaded team.   Imagine Naslund with Bure and Mogilny and Linden and hate to say it but Messier in a lesser role...strangest chapter of our history.  

• Like 1

Voting for Richard Brodeur!

All due respect to the beloved players on the list but none of them were as important to the team as King Richard!

Nominate Dennis Kearns.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The only good thing from this was the Linden trade and how that haul created key parts of two cores - three if you follow it to today in Markstrom...still it was a gigantic waste of a loaded team.   Imagine Naslund with Bure and Mogilny and Linden and hate to say it but Messier in a lesser role...strangest chapter of our history.  

Absolutely.  We could have kept Ronning and Courtnall (both lost as free agents for nothing) and Babych and all the quality players we had after 1994.  Greg Adams or Russ Courtnall, take your pick.  And basically just added Mogilny and the thing formerly known as Mark Messier.

But based on the way Messier trudged and coasted around the ice with the C on his chest...I figure someone would have had to cattle prod him onto the ice while he pouted with an A on his jersey.

• Hydration 1

Vote burr

nominate tanman

• Upvote 2

Voted Brodeur.

Nominate: Kearns

• Like 1