The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #14

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #14  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #14 Canuck of All-Time?

• A. Burrows
    • R. Kesler
    • T. Tanti
    • H. Snepsts
    • A. Boudrias
    • D. Lever
    • K. Bieksa
    • B. Morrison
    • J. Lumme
    • D. Kearns

This poll is closed to new votes

45 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Gino and Sundstrom, some fine nominations.  Both these guys are coming up pretty soon on my nominations list.

Patrik Sundstrom is the perfect example of how people can forget you once you don't hold the record anymore (Snepsts, Sedlbauer, Butcher, Gary Smith, Tallon, Kearns, Boudrias, Lever).

Sundstrom's 93 points one year was our high water mark until Pavel Bure and is still well up there on the all time best seasons by a Canuck.

And a lot of people forget that Sundstrom was the scoring star of the Devils' surprise run to the semifinal in 1988.  The Devils went on to great things in the 2000s, so that Cinderella run kind of faded away in people's memories, but it was a big deal.

And much as we thank Trevor Linden for giving us Bertuzzi and eventually Luongo and Markstrom, trading Patrik Sundstrom got us both Kirk McLean and Greg Adams.  So we certainly lost something significant...but we absolutely couldn't have had the 1994 run without him.  We would have had a post-Brodeur goalie graveyard in the 1990s, just like we did post-McLean.

Sundstrom's 91 points (not 93) were actually the high water mark for Canuck centres for a very long time until Henrik smashed it in 2009-10. Hank to this day is still the only Canuck centre to best Sundstrom's 91 points.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Sundstrom's 91 points (not 93) were actually the high water mark for Canuck centres for a very long time until Henrik smashed it in 2009-10. Hank to this day is still the only Canuck centre to best Sundstrom's 91 points.

TemptingAmpleCopperhead-max-1mb.gif

93 is the magic number, 93.  93 chipmunks twirling on a branch, eating lots of sunflowers at my uncle's ranch.

If you really dig deep, I bet there were two second assists they mistakenly gave to Darcy Rota or something.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Is that John Garrett in your avatar picture? Your passion for Brodeur is inspiring, but I'm not sure how King Richard would react to being supplanted by Cheech.

i think its Ridley

24 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

TemptingAmpleCopperhead-max-1mb.gif

93 is the magic number, 93.  93 chipmunks twirling on a branch, eating lots of sunflowers at my uncle's ranch.

If you really dig deep, I bet there were two second assists they mistakenly gave to Darcy Rota or something.

Pretty sure it was Cam Neely and Ron Delorme that stole those 2 points.........

Someone sell me on Mogilny!  I thought he only had a couple of good seasons for us and then largely coasted around the rest of the time.  I was admittedly much younger at the time.  Or are we basing this off of those couple of seasons? (Which is fair as they were killer seasons)

2 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Someone sell me on Mogilny!  I thought he only had a couple of good seasons for us and then largely coasted around the rest of the time.  I was admittedly much younger at the time.  Or are we basing this off of those couple of seasons? (Which is fair as they were killer seasons)

I think our homeboy AJ made the best case that can be made.  He's the only guy other than Pavel to score 50 goals in a season.  And one of a club to score 100 points that is almost as small.

But you are absolutely correct that he had a high peak, and then didn't do much else or stick around that long.  One great year, one good year, and a couple more years where he missed a ton of games.  No team success, no playoff success.

I don't think he really captured the hearts of fans either.  Playing on a very uncharismatic version of the Canucks didn't help.  But at the same time, Mogilny was a guy that was known to impress the viewer with his skill, rather than thrill the viewer with his passion.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Probably a balance of top end skill and longevity really. The coasting is possible and I've heard the same, but wasn't watching at the time, so you'd have to confirm that with fans who were watching in the 90s.

If you rank all Canucks all-time by points-per-game, with a minimum of 200 games, you'll find Bure far ahead in first and then Mogilny in 2nd. Third place is far behind Mogilny. Here's a small table of the top 10 to see.

Canucks Points Per Game All-Time.png

If Mogilny played more, he'd probably be even higher, but he didn't last too long in here, which is why I personally have him roughly around 20th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Probably a balance of top end skill and longevity really. The coasting is possible and I've heard the same, but wasn't watching at the time, so you'd have to confirm that with fans who were watching in the 90s.

If you rank all Canucks all-time by points-per-game, with a minimum of 200 games, you'll find Bure far ahead in first and then Mogilny in 2nd. Third place is far behind Mogilny. Here's a small table of the top 10 to see.

Canucks Points Per Game All-Time.png

If Mogilny played more, he'd probably be even higher, but he didn't last too long in here, which is why I personally have him roughly around 20th.

Fair points! He was a hell of a player.  I feel like I remember him scoring five hole all the time.  

I'm surprised at how high Ronning is on that list.

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

Fair points! He was a hell of a player.  I feel like I remember him scoring five hole all the time.  

I'm surprised at how high Ronning is on that list.

Yeah, Ronning was probably underrated by some, but a lot of 90s fans loved him. He's kind of a Mogilny-lite in the sense that he also didn't play too long for Vancouver (only 54 more games than Mogilny), but he was definitely more of a fan favourite from what I can gather.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, Ronning was probably underrated by some, but a lot of 90s fans loved him. He's kind of a Mogilny-lite in the sense that he also didn't play too long for Vancouver (only 54 more games than Mogilny), but he was definitely more of a fan favourite from what I can gather.

Mogilny had 50 in a season for the Canucks but he never had one of these.  Cliff was a hero from this goal onward.

You are correct that he only played a Mogilny-ish length of time, and yet he remains #6 on our all time playoff scoring list, even after both the Naslund and the Sedin eras.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1

#14 for the greatest canuck to have ever worn the number 14 jersey... The dragonslayer himself Mr. Alex Burrows!

And I nominate (for 5×) arguably the 2nd most skilled player in canucks history... And one of two bright spots (Naslund the other) during the Keenan years...

(The first Alexander the Great) Alexander Mogilny!

A 50 goal 107 point season for the nucks... Not here long but the years he was, were important because the rest of the teams effort and moral was in the dumps... At least we could watch Mogilny's magic and an up and coming Naslund.

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Mogilny started our great-  better then Bure IMO given he was also responsible on the other side of the puck - and was third in goal scoring in the entire league, he also scored nine points is six playoff games ( AVs first cup) - a great start indeed - with Bure in the ranks too we were definitely going to win a cup (who knew that was our window Bure was out so ... one year of prime Mogilny was wasted).    Next year his scoring fell off a cliff.   Then Messier did a great job of teaching him how to float around - he became mecurial like Kovalev - ok one game - non-existant the next - great the one after that.  Fans that remember we actually paid a pretty high price in Peca ( who would have been our first Selke winner and finalist had we kept him - was the best two way player in the game for a couple years) and a first rounder and a depth player.   Anyone who remembers Peca standing up Selanne and destroying him (best open ice hitter in the game - or one of them with Stevens, at 185 lbs) in 1995 - and the fight filled game that ensued - think it was early February - google it and enjoy 260PMS and 20 minutes of nasty - there is a guy that would definitely be a top Canuck had we kept him.  Yes he had a great first season for us and it was one of two times I couldnt stop smiling for a long time when we got him (Luongo was the other)...but his time here was sullied by association and really it was not that great except for one season.  Have not checked but wouldnt be surprised if Peca outscored him in the same time period.  Do know he went on to lose to Dallas in 1999 though and become their C.

Edit:  I have Mogilny 25-30ish... lower then some but still higher then the supposed experts have him...because this is the greatest and not the best and time served counts.

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I have a lot of recorder games in and around the 94 era.  For that reason the memories have stayed more fresh.  I'm a bigger fan of Ronning because of that.

I don't find myself watching a lot of games from the dark times haha