The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eight Minute Insights: Nikita Tryamkin (2019-20 KHL) - A CambieKev Scouting Video - A Brief-But-Telling Look at His Game

Rate this topic

TrickOfShapes

Nikita Tryamkin deserves an opportunity to prove his worth to the Vancouver Canucks — plain and simple. His previous tenure with the team tantalized observers. His rare combination of size, strength and mobility left Canucks fans in awe of what the then-twenty-two-year-old was capable of becoming. At 6’7’’, 250 lbs, he intimidated opponents like few could, and he obliterated numerous victims with his incredible strength.

Many were shocked, but not surprised when he departed from the Canucks. He believed that he had been misused. He desired more ice time than he received, and so he rejoined his KHL team, Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg. Always known to be vocal, he received the team’s “A” as an alternate captain for two seasons before being stripped of the honor this past season. Recently, his agent has been adamant that Tryamkin wants nothing more than to return to the Canucks.

The Vancouver Canucks struggled defensively in 2019-20. They bled scoring opportunities and were often rescued by the MVP-like play of Jacob Markstrom. Although the team’s offensive play has improved significantly since Tryamkin last represented the team, they continue to be inept once the opponent begins to carry the puck back up the ice. The organization would be wise, thus, to explore all of its options, including the enigmatic former prospect.

He was not so polarizing as a player for the team. He offered exactly what he was expected to provide. His physicality overwhelmed some opposition players, and yet he could transition the puck through the neutral zone quite confidently and naturally. He has done the same for his KHL team.

Today, we have an opportunity to look at one of Nikita Tryamkin’s most recent performances: Game 4 of the 2020 KHL Quarterfinals against Sibir Novosibirsk on March 8, 2020.

Read the full article at Nucks Misconduct: https://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2020/4/2/21190235/nikita-tryamkin-khl-analysis-cambiekev

Edited by TrickOfShapes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

I watched the video first - nine minutes of KHL playoff play..got to say there is definitely a difference in the speed and skill level in the NHL - seemed rather lackluster for a playoff performance - and do not understand Russian so have no idea what the scouting report was saying about it (or if it was just play by play).  Then read the article - not much to take away from that other then he is used as a defensive defenseman and has not lost his physical edge.  Based on the play alone it seemed a little Murzynish - as in Dana Murzyn - good at knocking guys off the puck - using his stick and keeping the net clear ( although on the goal against he was in the high slot - not back near the net).   His speed did not really impress - but his backwards skating was good and you could tell he is a mobile guy - could just be the footage - did not really have a game situation that could show off his top speed etc.    

Personally I think IF he comes to camp he probably will win a spot - but I also am tempering my expectations.   We could use a guy like him no doubt - best case is he can replace Tanev long term and become a serviceable second pairing defensive defenseman in the same mold as Mitchell - or Murzyn without the cement skates.   The best part probably was how little effort was required to knock guys off the puck or in a couple cases on the butts.   When he played with us we had a terrible defense...its better now and he has competition on the left side especially.    His size and experience could end up becoming a very good thing for the club - our defense is not that great overall.  Hope he does and that he makes it work - in a playoff series could see that if he unleashes his inner beast (if he has one) it would really wear down the other team(s).   Pretty sure he would be an upgrade - how much of one is to be determined.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Murzynish - as in Dana Murzyn

Nobody is as slow as Dana Murzyn. Nobody. That said, if we had a  "Dana Murzyn" type defender in 2011 we'd have won. Be big, be in the play, be in the way. As a defender that's the dream. Murzyn was a key component of the 94 run, despite the footspeed joke.

If opposing forwards are scared for their lives to go near the net, a lot of those second effort rebounds get left because the forward is that extra foot or 3 away from the crease, letting the goalie get re-set in that extra second or two. It's a game of inches, so having 80 of those inches on one player is quite a nice idea. Him and Myers would be 13 feet of defenceman.

Thinking he's going to set the offensive world alight is... no. He's not. But his positioning reminds me of Malkin a bit... he 'looks lazy', 'looks slow'... yet somehow is always involved in the play when it's in his 'area'. I'll take a guy who is slow but always in the right place over a guy like Nail Yakupov who had all the talent in the world but played like he was being chased by bees... quickly skating all over the place without any real plan.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

At this point, it would be absurd if we didn't try to sign him. 

Stecher is going to ask for a raise and he probably deserves a raise but paying 3+ million dollars for a defenceman that doesn't bring complementary skillset to the team is not a smart use of the cap. And with Stecher gone, there is going to be one spot open for RHD for Tryamkin and perhaps Rafferty to fight over.

I think Tryamkin brings exactly the type of skillset that is lacking on the defence at the moment. Physicality, crease clearing, and intimidation. And he is mobile for man his size. Obviously, NHL forwards are far more skilled and faster but the rink is also smaller so he doesn't have to cover as much ice. For example, I noticed him skating from one side of the ice to another side to forecheck in that video... I guess that on a larger ice, someone has to always be pressuring the puck carrier to slow the puck down but you almost never see a defenceman leaving his position to forecheck in the NHL, well unless the puck carrier is right in front of you or puck is loose in your side of the ice.

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Fantenberg-Tryamkin

Benn-Rafferty

Signing Tryamkin would be the cheapest way to improve the defence especially with basically no cap space left if we want to re-sign Toffoli and Tanev.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, brownky said:

Nobody is as slow as Dana Murzyn. Nobody. That said, if we had a  "Dana Murzyn" type defender in 2011 we'd have won. Be big, be in the play, be in the way. As a defender that's the dream. Murzyn was a key component of the 94 run, despite the footspeed joke.

If opposing forwards are scared for their lives to go near the net, a lot of those second effort rebounds get left because the forward is that extra foot or 3 away from the crease, letting the goalie get re-set in that extra second or two. It's a game of inches, so having 80 of those inches on one player is quite a nice idea. Him and Myers would be 13 feet of defenceman.

Thinking he's going to set the offensive world alight is... no. He's not. But his positioning reminds me of Malkin a bit... he 'looks lazy', 'looks slow'... yet somehow is always involved in the play when it's in his 'area'. I'll take a guy who is slow but always in the right place over a guy like Nail Yakupov who had all the talent in the world but played like he was being chased by bees... quickly skating all over the place without any real plan.

Dana Murzyn might have been slow but he was usually in the right spot at the right time - and was as tough as nails. Today I watched a condensed version of Feb 9 1995,against WNP - did not count the fights he was in but remember going to another WNP game where he fought KT (MTs Dad) three times - those guys hated each other.  The you tube video I watched had 258 PIMS in it....Peca destroyed Selanne in one of his greatest hits with us....it was already a rough game - guys just kept fighting over an over again and you can bet Murzyn was right in there.  One of our best defensive defenseman ever - despite the slow skates - check out his plus minus (year to year ) .... he knew what needed to be done to keep the puck out of the net thats for sure.. speed is king right now - and it was pretty fast back then too.  Dont really know what Tree can do in this league - his sample size was too small.  But would welcome a tryout and have hopes he can help us - agree his positioning looks good.  For those that do not remember check the game out - and for those that were too young or not born yet - definitely check it out - we had one tough team back then - and so did WNP.   A lot of guys on those teams would feed Reeves his lunch on his best day...

• Like 1

Tryamkins game is better suited for the NHL size rink..   although his Team, and 11 others in the KHL, renovated down to smaller ice surfaces this season,  the Opposing team in that vid “Sibir“ .. plays on the bigger KHLstandard size rink.

More changes are on the way for the KHL next season,  including open dialogue with the NHL this season to have more fluidity and agreements between the 2 leagues.

Even playing on the larger rink Tryamkin could keep a physical aspect to his game,  which is not easy to do unless you are responsive and quick.

Its one of the reasons the KHL is making adjustments,  more physicality and speed is needed for fans to enjoy, and the league to prosper.

Welcome the “Tyrminator”..

C1297263-7595-41DC-A4CF-BECB0E2284C1.jpeg

Edited by SilentSam

If we are able to shed two contracts with compliance buyouts. I would definitely be interested in pursuing Barrie and having Tryamkin play with Myers. 

Edler - Barrie 

Hughes - Tanev 

Tryamkin - Myers 

If we are unable to resign Tanev, maybe a compliance buyout of Seabrook by Chicago could interest us. That is saying the rumors of buyouts are true. 

Juolevi comes in the following year once Edlers contract is up. 

5 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The way I see things, Tryamkin was 21 the last time he was here. He's got three more seasons of experience under his belt (albeit KHL) plus three more years of maturity. 

This time around we need to utilize him to leverage his natural strengths rather than trying to turn him into something he's not. I was at a few games that year and Tryamkin can be an impact player on D if we let him. For a big guy, imo, he moves the puck up ice well on the rush. Imo, he sees the ice really well too. He can also contain well, be a force in front, and make guys pay on the half-boards.

Where we are right now, I think he's a much better fit as compared to the last time he was here. The opportunity to have two guys at 6'7 and 6'8 on our blue line is too great to pass up.

I also think Myers and Tryamkin may be able to find some sort of good relationship as teammates. I mean, if I was a young guy at 6'7, it would be great to have a similar sized teammate who's been in the league and understands how you need to use your size. Myers could be the perfect mentor for him. At least from a relatability standpoint. 

While I don't disagree I do think Nik already uses his size better than Myers. Will be interesting to see how he has matured. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, brownky said:

It hurts to say it, but Gretzky in his final season was one of the slowest players I've ever seen.

He would get a pass for a breakaway, take three steps and then just release a slapshot because the defenders had caught up to him.

Still good enough at passing alone to be one of the top scorers on his team, and still 6th in the league in assists, despite this.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

While I don't disagree I do think Nik already uses his size better than Myers. Will be interesting to see how he has matured. 

I'm with you. I just think there are likely things Myers would be able to help him with in how he thinks about and uses his size on a smaller surface. Things he wouldn't get from average size players. I'm curious to see Tram back in the lineup after three seasons.

• Cheers 1

Interesting clip to catch a glimpse of his play overseas.

I wonder, with the way that he delivers hits that could be "follow-through" or borderline (e.g. in several plays the puck was dumped in from center and then he just drops the guy who shot it in a couple seconds later, or he hits and then pins the guy he's checking), would he garner the reputation as being a dirty player?  Some of them looked like interference to me.  Also I could see him thrive with Quinn since Hughes has the instincts to make passes while in trouble to the open man, and Tree can both skate it out and dislodge opponents from the puck as needed, and they could be a modern day shutdown D-man pair with their mobility and respective skill sets.  

Definitely would like to see him back, though hopefully Myers goes and Tanev could stay as well since, with all his size, Myers isn't nearly the same level of intimidation (but that's for another discussion).

Edited by Phil_314

15 hours ago, TrickOfShapes said:

Nikita Tryamkin deserves an opportunity to prove his worth to the Vancouver Canucks — plain and simple. His previous tenure with the team tantalized observers. His rare combination of size, strength and mobility left Canucks fans in awe of what the then-twenty-two-year-old was capable of becoming. At 6’7’’, 250 lbs, he intimidated opponents like few could, and he obliterated numerous victims with his incredible strength.

Many were shocked, but not surprised when he departed from the Canucks. He believed that he had been misused. He desired more ice time than he received, and so he rejoined his KHL team, Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg. Always known to be vocal, he received the team’s “A” as an alternate captain for two seasons before being stripped of the honor this past season. Recently, his agent has been adamant that Tryamkin wants nothing more than to return to the Canucks.

The Vancouver Canucks struggled defensively in 2019-20. They bled scoring opportunities and were often rescued by the MVP-like play of Jacob Markstrom. Although the team’s offensive play has improved significantly since Tryamkin last represented the team, they continue to be inept once the opponent begins to carry the puck back up the ice. The organization would be wise, thus, to explore all of its options, including the enigmatic former prospect.

He was not so polarizing as a player for the team. He offered exactly what he was expected to provide. His physicality overwhelmed some opposition players, and yet he could transition the puck through the neutral zone quite confidently and naturally. He has done the same for his KHL team.

Today, we have an opportunity to look at one of Nikita Tryamkin’s most recent performances: Game 4 of the 2020 KHL Quarterfinals against Sibir Novosibirsk on March 8, 2020.

Read the full article at Nucks Misconduct: https://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2020/4/2/21190235/nikita-tryamkin-khl-analysis-cambiekev

Of course JB will be more than happy or arrange to have him play there another year so we don't lose him in the exp draft.. trying to keep everyone now is going to be difficult as it is... or pay Seattle something to take a bottom six player or pick, anyway trying not to get excited for the big freight train back in a Nux uniform until it happens.. 

• Cheers 1

Geezuz,  

Poor Nik taking a beating on Twitter by uninformed, misled fans that have been fed crap about Tryamkin by the Stooge media in this town 3 years ago.

The Canucks will never get a positive fan base in this city unless the terrible journalism is rightfully harassed out of town..

90% of them are Fakes.. do no investigation of their own, don’t even watch Utica games.. let alone anything KHL or Euro.

Thats why they always fall back on the cliche’ “it’s just my opinion”...  

meaning they have done no search for information, or witnessed anything to support it.

All full of B.S.    and each other’s negative hype is what they feed fans.

.. and they would rather talk negative than positive because it enflames fans..  that is their only motive.

The simple minds of journalists lighting fires for notoriety.  

These guys are a sport franchise owners nightmare.

Vancouver is a city that in the last 50 years has had better teams than the Leafs in the past 56.

1967 was the last time the Leafs won ANYTHING.

The Canucks joined the league in 1970 as an expansion team along with the Buffalo Sabres. In its NHL history, the team has advanced to the Stanley Cup Finals three times, losing to the New York Islanders in 1982, the New York Rangers in 1994 and the Boston Bruins in 2011. They have won the Presidents' Trophy in back-to-back seasons as the team with the league's best regular season record in the 2010–11 and 2011–12 seasons. They won three division titles as a member of the Smythe Division from 1974 to 1993, and seven titles as a member of the Northwest Division from 1998 to 2013. 

Not too hard to get behind that, and how our rebuild surfaces over the next 3 years..  pretty sure the Cup will be in Vancouver before any other Canadian city next.

•  

16 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

It hurts to say it, but Gretzky in his final season was one of the slowest players I've ever seen.

He would get a pass for a breakaway, take three steps and then just release a slapshot because the defenders had caught up to him.

Still good enough at passing alone to be one of the top scorers on his team, and still 6th in the league in assists, despite this.

Gretzky was never fast even in his heyday. He was shifty as hell and could get a defender to pull and overcommit, and that would leave the defender flat footed with enough of a gap to do something with. That was always his game, even at the beginning. As he slowed down the big problem that led to injury was how guys could actually catch him with a hit even if he knew it was coming (which, it's Gretzky, he knew), versus when he was younger he had just enough speed to usually avoid it.

I'll take a brilliant 'middle speed' player over a 'middle brain' fastest player every single time.

22 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The way I see things, Tryamkin was 21 the last time he was here. He's got three more seasons of experience under his belt (albeit KHL) plus three more years of maturity. 

This time around we need to utilize him to leverage his natural strengths rather than trying to turn him into something he's not. I was at a few games that year and Tryamkin can be an impact player on D if we let him. For a big guy, imo, he moves the puck up ice well on the rush. Imo, he sees the ice really well too. He can also contain well, be a force in front, and make guys pay on the half-boards.

Where we are right now, I think he's a much better fit as compared to the last time he was here. The opportunity to have two guys at 6'7 and 6'8 on our blue line is too great to pass up.

I also think Myers and Tryamkin may be able to find some sort of good relationship as teammates. I mean, if I was a young guy at 6'7, it would be great to have a similar sized teammate who's been in the league and understands how you need to use your size. Myers could be the perfect mentor for him. At least from a relatability standpoint. 

Maybe while we're at it we can bring back Shawn Matthias to help show Tryamkin "how you need to use your size".

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Geezuz,  

Poor Nik taking a beating on Twitter by uninformed, misled fans that have been fed crap about Tryamkin by the Stooge media in this town 3 years ago.

The Canucks will never get a positive fan base in this city unless the terrible journalism is rightfully harassed out of town..

90% of them are Fakes.. do no investigation of their own, don’t even watch Utica games.. let alone anything KHL or Euro.

Thats why they always fall back on the cliche’ “it’s just my opinion”...  

meaning they have done no search for information, or witnessed anything to support it.

All full of B.S.    and each other’s negative hype is what they feed fans.

.. and they would rather talk negative than positive because it enflames fans..  that is their only motive.

The simple minds of journalists lighting fires for notoriety.  

These guys are a sport franchise owners nightmare.

Vancouver is a city that in the last 50 years has had better teams than the Leafs in the past 56.

1967 was the last time the Leafs won ANYTHING.

The Canucks joined the league in 1970 as an expansion team along with the Buffalo Sabres. In its NHL history, the team has advanced to the Stanley Cup Finals three times, losing to the New York Islanders in 1982, the New York Rangers in 1994 and the Boston Bruins in 2011. They have won the Presidents' Trophy in back-to-back seasons as the team with the league's best regular season record in the 2010–11 and 2011–12 seasons. They won three division titles as a member of the Smythe Division from 1974 to 1993, and seven titles as a member of the Northwest Division from 1998 to 2013. 

Not too hard to get behind that, and how our rebuild surfaces over the next 3 years..  pretty sure the Cup will be in Vancouver before any other Canadian city next.

•  

Its actually quite bizzare how much negativity you hear about Tryamkin on the sports talk radio  in this town.   Hey, one can argue with those that think Tram is the next Chara, but at the very least why can't these sports jocks entertain the idea that maybe he's matured since then, maybe he doesn't have to be the next Chara in order to be a valuable roster player, maybe he actually wants to return. 

Just the other day Sekeres doubled down on his adamant edict that Nik will never play for the Canucks. Even Halford and Brough banned his name from being mentioned on their show because they think discussing him is ridiculous and pointless.  I don't know how anyone can say he is any worse than Myers, another D that gets a pass on his speed and play because of his size. And Myers was worth 6 million on the market.  I would even argue that Tram is better than Myers over all. 

I was watching this video and was reminded how well the big guy uses his reach/stick. His only disadvantage he made for himself by not staying here.  The acclimatization of integrating into a new and very different culture and language, he will be 3 years behind, which might also indirectly affect his ice play.

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 1

He has been playing with Nigel Dawes (captain for Avto) for 3 years,.  I think some good humour will have rubbed off as well as a fair bit of English lingo .

..  and Pavel Datsyuk this season, I’m sure wanting to see Nik become all that he can be as an NHL player.

• Cheers 1