The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #15

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #15  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #15 Canuck of All-Time?

• R. Kesler
    • H. Snepsts
    • J. Lumme
    • A. Boudrias
    • D. Kearns
    • D. Lever
    • T. Tanti
    • B. Morrison
    • K. Bieksa
    • S. Salo

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Yeah I'm okay with Kesler getting this one.  I literally typed out "I vote Ryan Kesler" but I changed my mind to Harold before I hit submit.  Lidster is also great!   I partially went with Jovo due to his personality and not just the on ice player.  Based on longevity alone Lidster should probably be on the list but thinking of Jovo gives me the warm fuzzies lol.

Jovo was by far my favourite player of the WCE years (Ohlund was part of three cores so don't include him)...one of the few player we had that could take a game over just with intention and will alone.  17 goals one year - and three years of 46-48 points despite missing time...you don't get a spot in the top six on team Canada if you are not considered one of the best defenseman around.   He did that twice in four years.   And he made the sweet saucer pass to Sakic for the game winner in 2002...Pronger, Neidermayer, Macinnis and Blake all are HHOFers...Foote was close and one of the best defensive defenseman of his era so get why they went with him...and Jovo...who tied for the lead in scoring that tournament on team Canada....Two of those guys were recent Norris winners and one won the Hart....pretty great company....maybe Torin wouldn't have been so bad if he wasnt injured - he did have a penchant for big moments when they counted.

3 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Trade Edler while his stock is high

Ive been as hard as anyone on these threads about Edler -but there is no denying he deserves to be on the list.  Too high? Yep.  20th in PGP all-time for defensemen (and probably going to slip) buy still his longevity and games played make him the leader in most catagories.  Not plus minus though ha ha.  Murzyn might have that honour (without checking - just know he had some boffo seasons that challenge even the Sedins best years - and he was always stuck starting in the other zone against the best in the world at the time)...or maybe Salo - he was always good (when he wasnt in the infirmary - something Edler has struggled with over the years too)..  my guess is if he hadn't had a resurgence the last two years he would be a recent nomination - not a a top ten player.  And if Jovo played equal games with us he would be way ahead of him in everything too...looking at other teams top fifty kind of is an eye opener.   And also surprising..   The Sedins actually have more points then some then an original six team that we all like to make fun of.   Believe Sundin might be their top scorer - that is hilarious.  

Edited by IBatch

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It happened with Brodeur as well.

I remember that it happened with the Top 50 Players of All-Time list I did way back as well. I'm pretty sure Crosby was nominated to the list and then was voted in on the very next poll. Funny how momentum can swing wildly.

I bet Lidstrom went too high.  Couldn't beat aging Borque, Coffey, Macinnis, Chelios, plus Blake, Pronger and Neidermayer - until they aged out - won his first Norris at 31 and his last one was probably the worst robbery of a trophy ever given - he was minus 2 and there were a half dozen better candidates.  I'd also have obviously Orr as well as Potvin, Harvey and Robinson ahead of him.  Top ten all-time for sure - but not top five.

Edited by IBatch

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I bet Lidstom went too high.  Couldn't beat aging Borque, Coffey, Macinnis, Chelios, plus Blake, Pronger and Neidermayer - until they aged out - won his first Norris at 31 and his last one was probably the worst robbery of a trophy ever given - he was minus 2 and there were a half dozen better candidates.  I'd also have obviously Orr as well as Potvin, Harvey and Robinson ahead of him.  Top ten all-time for sure - but not top five.

I've always felt Lidstrom is overrated by viewers of my own generation. He's definitely one of the greatest defensemen of all-time, but when I hear the argument that he's #2 or even #1, it saddens me that others like Bourque, Harvey, and Shore are too often forgotten.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I've always felt Lidstrom is overrated by viewers of my own generation. He's definitely one of the greatest defensemen of all-time, but when I hear the argument that he's #2 or even #1, it saddens me that others like Bourque, Harvey, and Shore are too often forgotten.

Whoops left out Shore - Bostons's original super-star defenseman.  Could have ten Norris trophies had they existed back then - and like Orr won a couple of Harts.  Since then only Pronger won one too - and he was pretty awesome there for four or five seasons - taking EDM to the final on his back and winning a cup...at the turn of the century couldn't beat St Louis top line...

I didn't vote for Snepsts yet, but I loved him as a Canuck.  That's the main change I would have made to Ian MacIntyre's all-time Canucks lineup.  I would have had Snepsts as the #6 D instead of Willie Mitchell.  I think they were very similar players, but Snepsts was actually a much bigger fan favorite in Vancouver when he played and definitely a more menacing enforcer when the situation called for it.  I don't think Mitchell had any skill advantage over Snepsts and I also noticed that no one seems to have nominated him for this list yet.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I didn't vote for Snepsts yet, but I loved him as a Canuck.  That's the main change I would have made to Ian MacIntyre's all-time Canucks lineup.  I would have had Snepsts as the #6 D instead of Willie Mitchell.  I think they were very similar players, but Snepsts was actually a much bigger fan favorite in Vancouver when he played and definitely a more menacing enforcer when the situation called for it.  I don't think Mitchell had any skill advantage over Snepsts and I also noticed that no one seems to have nominated him for this list yet.

Not re-signing Mitchell was considered one of the top 25 fails this franchise made in an article with Buffalo listing the top fifty crap things that have happened given we came in the same year and its our big fifty (although with the lock-out its actually 49).  One of the better defensive defenseman in the league went to another team in our division and instead of us winning a cup(s) - LA did...twice.  Nominations might be deserving in the 40-50th range given his time with us was very short.  Agree with this - Snepsts was a big dude - mustache power to boot, and one of the last five guys to play without a helmet.

Edit:  We didn't re-sign him - instead traded a first rounder and a player for Ballard - who we signed for over 4 (and later bought out) - and he couldn't even crack the line-up....not MG brightest moment.  What did Mitchell get in LA again?

Edited by IBatch

If kesler wins #15 there should be an astrix next to it because he never liked playing here. Top 14 has 7 Canadians , 6 Swedes and 1 Russian. No Swede has ever requested a trade or said he hates Canadians during the Olympics. Swedes are all class.

• -AJ- locked this topic