Canucks Community

[Discussion] NJ/Van Severson for Virtanen

17 hours ago, Provost said:

Something like:
Virtanen

Either Rafferty or Juolevi
Some bad cap going their way

For Severson

It is giving up enough that half the folks will roast me right away... which is a decent sign that it is more realistic than most prices.

I watched Damon for years in Kelowna.  That package is insane for him.  Good guy, solid player but a Bieksa light without the snarl.  He's a 3-4 here

Edited by Warhippy

Way better player then Bieksa was...

I have to say don't know if NJ Devis would make this trade... Changes there D core..

They can sign Free agent winger..

We don't have cap room to Sign top # 2 D man without unloading a big contract..

We have players to sign..

Markstrom 5.8 million

Taffoli - 4 yrs x 4.9 million.. 30 goal scorer , 60-65 points..

Virtanen 3.2 million x 3 years after this season

Leivo  1.8 x 2 yrs...

Motte - 900  x 2 yrs ?

MacEwen  900,000 x 2 yrs one way deal

Stetcher -RFA - will want 3 yrs x 2.5 million -- trade for 3rd rounder = Replace Stetcher with Rafferty 750,000

Tanev - UFA -- Need to move away from 31 yrs old very injury prone, will want 4.6 million  x 4 yrs...

19 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Think you should look into type of player Severson is ? DO you think NJ would make this trade? I say no as he is that valuable..

So you don't want to say who he is better than?

1 hour ago, gurn said:

So you don't want to say who he is better than?

If Severson was on the Canucks team I would rank the D as follows:

Hughes > Edler > Tanev > Severson > Myers = Stecher > Fantenberg > Benn

You didn't ask me, but I have watched Severson closely this season and he is developing well. But he still has a lot of errors in his own end.

When comparing to current Canucks I would say that his game is most similar to Edler's. He has some size that he uses a little, but not as much as he should. He plays an all round game and he eats a lot of minutes. His offense is pretty good, he still needs to develop in his own end.

There is no question in my mind that Edler is a much better player at the moment. Severson is much younger and will likely improve to become a similar level player to Edler in his prime. Tanev will likely always be a better defensive player than Severson. Severson has better size than Stecher and better offense than Myers.

I don't think the Devils will do Severson for Virtanen. DS is a good young Dman on a great contract. It would require something more like Boeser to get Severson (shades of Hall for Larsson...no thanks)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

Toffoli is not signing anywhere in the NHL for under 5 mil per season. At 27 he knows what it takes to win and will bring that championship experience with him wherever he goes. He has many solid years ahead of him and in his limited time in Van, he has shown how effective his overall game can be. He battles for pucks, hits and has a wicked wrister. Guy is going to get a contract for 5 or 6 years at 6+ mill per year. We cannot afford him unless Benning ships out some bodies such as Sutter, Baer, Beagle or ... heres to hoping.....Erickson (pipe dream)

4 hours ago, gurn said:

He is a top 2 d man on Jersey, but is he on the Canucks?

Edler

Hughes

Tanev  

Myers/Severson?

He’s 100% better than who we have on the right side no question about it. I would love to target Severson but I wouldn’t use Virtanen in a package. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, wildcam said:

Toffoli had one  30 goal season and 2 others in the twenties. As Ray Ferraro would say " That makes him a twenty goal scorer that had one really good year".

He's a good puck mover, decent size and uses it well but for some reason he's always had a shocking +/-. Whether that's because he's on a rubbish team, or his defending is actually that bad, I'm not completely sold on Severson the way I was when he broke out. Jake is having a big season and may be turning a corner, I'd give him a bridge contract and see what he can produce in the next 2 seasons before trading him because he may end up being the 20-30 goal scorer we needed from him.

• Cheers 1

No to trading Virtanen at all. Tired of seeing people wanting to trade a young unique skillset like him. And no to doing it for a D man who's offensive ability doesn't make up for his lack of sense and commitment in the defensive end.

• Cheers 1

I really think we have to wait and see what we have in Tryamkin and Rafferty, before we go and panic.

We are not there, in terms of competing for the Stanley Cup, but next year should give us an indication of what we need

Slow and steady....don't push before we are ready!

• Cheers 1

On 4/4/2020 at 2:10 PM, gurn said:

He is a top 2 d man on Jersey, but is he on the Canucks?

Edler

Hughes

Tanev  

Myers/Severson?

Severson would by Tanev's replacement in this scenario as he's a RHD and the team would be moving on from oft injured Tanev.   I have written a lot on how the ripple effect of having Myers on the team has helped Edler and Tanev stay healthy - and Hughes too given Edlers minutes on the PP have gone down...and ended up losing the second unit spot to Myers for a spell too.  Severson vs Tanev....hmmm pretty sure thats about a wash at this point even with Tanev's age - so we lose in this deal - huge if we trade BB at least in the short term, who knows about long term.   It's hockey and you just never know - maybe he does make a blockbuster trade but and definitely would do it if it's the OP offer for the long term gain- not a chance if it's BB - we need to give him two-three year longer to find out what he will become or may really come to regret it. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/4/2020 at 10:24 AM, captaincowbasher said:

Boeser for Severson is a terrible deal for the Canucks, just terrible. Boeser is a legit scoring RW on the first line, and you don't take away from Pettey's options. 

I'd love to add Severson (fan of his play) but if we're moving Boeser, it better be for a higher end D than him. Something around Virtanen for Severson as in OP... maybe. But Boeser...

I'm not entirely opposed to moving Boeser (though I'd prefer to keep him AND Toffoli) but like you said, for a young, first line, scoring RW... you need a higher end D coming back. Someone closer to a Parayko type.

Edited by aGENT

47 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd love to add Severson (fan of his play) but if we're moving Boeser, it better be for a higher end D than him. Something around Virtanen for Severson as in OP... maybe. But Boeser...

I'm not entirely opposed to moving Boeser (though I'd prefer to keep him AND Toffoli) but like you said, for a young, first line, scoring RW... you need a higher end D coming back. Someone closer to a Parayko type.

I'm OK with moving Jake, because I think we can be certain what he is now, and that should be valuable enough for Severson. If Brock can have a fully healthy year he's got 50 goal potential, and he's also a great person and team mate. I don't think we should be looking to move him at all. 

Tampa Bay are once again in a severe cap crunch. Although I'm sure it's their priority to keep him  I could see the possibility that Cernak might become available; that could be an intriguing option. If I had to guess I would think they would want cheap, young forward(s) in return.

Edited by BlastPast

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm OK with moving Jake, because I think we can be certain what he is now, and that should be valuable enough for Severson. If Brock can have a fully healthy year he's got 50 goal potential, and he's also a great person and team mate. I don't think we should be looking to move him at all. 

I agree Virtanen is likely the odd man out... Though that move might wait until Podkolzin arrives.

We shouldn't be looking to move him (Boeser), no (and again, I prefer to keep him AND Toffoli). If a team like St Louis or Philly came calling and offering Parayko, Provorov etc though (unlikely)... I'd sure listen and think on it.

Edited by aGENT

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. 

However, I'm not okay with moving Jake. He's finally becoming a player every team would want on their side, and I believe he's only going to get better. I'd hate to throw that away. Looking forward to the day when Podkolzin arrives. The best solution is to keep Jake and put him on the left side. 

On a side note, I find it extremely discouraging that there are some posters on here who are severely bent on getting rid of Jake and Juolevi. I"d keep them both.