Sign in to follow this  
Lazurus

[discussion] My Symptoms, Lack Tests, and mis informationBC.

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

i stand corrected. well sit, but you get my point.

 

I understand that people are upset, things are what they are. Rapid testing just isn't approved yet, maybe in the coming weeks. But even if it is, we still need to follow the same rules. 

yes

i get your point

 

but it is sometimes sport

to just quibble once in a while

just for the sake of it

 

i do agree it is a bit baffling

what upsets some people

clearly the virus is a big deal

but so far it has been handled very well in bc

too many do not appreciate that enough

it provides a great deal of comfort to me and engenders confidence

 

i am upset about other places though

saddened about new york

troubled about quebec

(and there are many other places that engender upset)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Hope you can post how you are feeling and what.

How long do we stay home? When is it safe? Will it be safe?

It just so happens that I have used algar in petri dishes before and with the new computer programs it would be simple to test, used to be people, now AI can. BCIT has the equipment.

Thank you so much for posting your painful journey!

Very informative

My comments are not directed at you, or anyone else in particular

 

But we are an entitled society these days

We all expect that we get what we demand, now!

And I mean right now!

We have not gone through a depression

We have not gone through a war

We have not suffered 

and we have not struggled

None of that helps you, I am afraid

 

I have read and watched way too much of this covid-19 news

But need to understand what we are up against.....

I am immediately taken to the hospital doctors and nurses

that have been trained and worked in peace time

and am reminded of the stories I have heard about where

in the second world war, doctors and nurses in England

worked in partially bombed out hospitals, with limited resources

still intact.. We as a society have not done this for 75 years.

No one believed our grand parents, of such stories.

 

Doctors and nurses, learned to think on their feet and improvise

I believe, in some places like Italy and New York that is exactly what they are doing now.

I believe that most lessens will be learned after this is over,

when we can sit back and think about how we should have reacted and when.

 

As our antibiotics become less and less effective, we will have to respond quicker

and harsher, in our closing of boarders, self distancing, and not ignoring the facts

Ignorance is bliss and dangerous

 

Our standard of living will be effected, and our young teen agers and children

will do what we do now, and ignore the reality, we as society will have to change that.

 

Like I said, we have become entitled, and selfish and do not want our tax dollars preparing for something,

75 years in the making (probably 100 years in the making - Spanish flu)

 

But none of what I say here, is not for you, nor anyone else, that has suffered, 

as I am sure, it is impossible to walk in your shoes without actually having suffered as you have.

And listening to your story, scares the hell out of me.

 

I am so glad you have come out the other side, and I wish you a speedy recovery

and hope that you do not suffer, nor anyone you have come in contact with...……...

 

Love ya brother!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

yes

i get your point

 

but it is sometimes sport

to just quibble once in a while

just for the sake of it

 

i do agree it is a bit baffling

what upsets some people

clearly the virus is a big deal

but so far it has been handled very well in bc

too many do not appreciate that enough

it provides a great deal of comfort to me and engenders confidence

 

i am upset about other places though

saddened about new york

troubled about quebec

(and there are many other places that engender upset)

there's always going to be a battle between population heath decision and individual experiences. We've all had good and bad experiences in the system. 

 

People need to vent too, and thats fine. Sometimes an answer to a question can make people feel better, sometimes they call you an a$$hole for it :lol: I'm good either way. 

 

 

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a fellow human being I do feel for you,these are strange days indeed.

In my lifetime there has never been an outbreak of a pandemic of this magnitude.At this moment we do not have proper tests because this is a "new" virus,we do not have a vaccine for the same reason.

Remember you are not stuck at home,you are safe at home.

Some of the young people don't realize that if they get it they can give it easily to their loved ones,this is a terrible scenario.

Hurting or killing your own MOM,DAD, GRANDMOTHER, GRANDFATHER, BROTHER OR SISTER is not what anyone wants,so I know it's hard but we will get through this and the fewer causalities the better.

Try and stay home as much as possible,wash your hands(A LOT)and try to be kind to everyone around you because they are feeling everything you are.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Okay, first off I am not a doctor.

Second, I have no idea if I have Covid

And I give no advice

but I am really pi$$ed off.

 

I am in the wheelhouse that this thing hits by age so I have been extremely careful.

I foresaw this outcome way back in January when China started their isolation and the steps they (see SARS) were taking, this was not rocket science, so I bought myself some, SOME PPE, my inventory, 2 boxes of gloves, 6 Lysol wipes and 8 bottles of hand sanitizer, that's all. I listened to the Gov give advice every day. I confined myself as much as possible. Also bought aspirin and vitamins.

I thought I would, will be okay.

 

Now  10 days ago I got sick with something, knocked me on my ass, 

I had just returned from the liquor store, I figured Vodka internally as a mouthwash might help,:P I had just experienced a slightly sore throat the day before.

I got home, went up stairs and started sweating profusely, lost my breath, dizzy and sat on the floor without meaning to.

My throat and breathing started hurting like nothing I have experienced before.

No temperature but chills and sweats, no chest pain except bronchial tubes and throat.

I waited a few hours and when it got so bad I had to concentrate on how to breathe without pain I called 911, I didn't know if I was maybe having  a heartache as the symptoms of this virus are so muddled in mystery. 10 minutes later I get a phone call from 911 who proceed to ask questions, now it is hard for me to talk and think but because I didn't know anyone that had come from outside the country they started telling me about how I would be taken to the hospital and all that PPE would be wasted because they would not test me. I was shamed and I relented, you know the "man up thing" and cancelled, an hour later I started coughing small amounts up blood in sputum, very small amounts and not coughing very often. After going another 24 hours of trying to find that one breathe that didn't hurt I called again, this time the ambulance came. Two people, I was interrogated again and again they seemed to lose interest when I confirmed I had no contact with travelers, never did they ask where I had gone though and I know every place for the last month. It was explained that if I really wanted to go they would take me but it would be a waste of time because they would send me home, beleive this, because I could still breathe without aid and again, NO TEST.

 

So here is what happened to me.

 

Day one - Slight sore throat, intermittent and not really bad.

Day two - Bad enough I phone my doctor, I suspect it could be strep throat, swollen glands, get prescription for antibiotics, this is not a regular thing, he is my doctor for decades and rarely do I ever get AB's

Day two - I get home, super sore throat and bronchial tubes, sweating and collapse. Minor blood in sputum, difficulty breathing

Day three - Much worse, no sleep for last 24+ hours, hurts upper chest to stay in one position, can't eat, no food.

Day four - Slightly better but more blood, still not a lot of coughing, oddly no fever either at any time, still no food

Day five - Again a little better, had some soup and apple juice

Day six - Again better, hot and cold flushes but not as much pain breathing but it is like my lungs forgot how to work properly, I can take a deep breath but I really have to think and work on it but pain is pretty much gone. Ate better too almost a full meal. I drank almost 5 gallons of water over the last 4 days.

Day seven - Pretty much the same as yesterday.

 

So here is the BC gov advice over the last 5 weeks and stuff I have seen or heard,

"You are at low risk", "Chances are low that you will get this", gone from "get out and enjoy your time with the family while you can" to "stay home", "don't hoard, there is lots", "don't hoard so others have something", "limits on amounts", "test show......", "we have to bend the curve", "masks will not help"

 

My take on this,

"You are at low risk", they are politicians so not being truthful is part of the job, everyone is and will be susceptible, everyone will get this if exposed it is only a matter of how sick you will get. So with very little effort I looked up the number of people that arrived from flu ridden areas into Vancouver and simply walked into the mainstream, as many as 17,500 per day were greeted at Vancouver International daily with a pleasant sign posted sometime in January, no screening at all, this continues with only slight improvement now.

 

"Masks will no help", the backwards way this topic always came up was glaring, they work two ways, help stop getting it and giving it but it seems spreading ti was okay, now there is some stuff about anything at all might help.

 

"don't hoard, there is lots", and now - "don't hoard so others have something", "limits on amounts", what did they expect? That people are truly Lemmings? When most of the workforce is locked down the supply chain will be damaged to some degree, essentially we have rationing on a minor scale, "limit one per family"

 

"Bend the curve" - This has always been about medical services only, not stopping the virus, that train has passed the station now. With the lack of symptoms and progression is not posted and the total lack of testing for non medical personnel (3 tests each weekly, over 90% of all testing, might be  little less now). To me this means they want to stretch the virus effects out over a longer period of time, I guess they hope for enough to survive to get "herd" immunity, find a vaccine or ?.

 

A few ideas for the future, get tough, lock down, it is the only thing that is, IS working around the world, THE ONLY THING.

PPE - There are 100's of small machine shops and computer geeks out there, start building our own "homegrown" ventilators, provide draft plans to small shops, these are not atomic bombs so they can be made NOW.

I will have to look it up but I believe there are three other pulp mills that can produce the needed pulp. Port Alice, Port Melon and Port Alberni. at least they used to be able to, and again the gov should help construct a plant to make these things or the machines that do, the end cost has to be much lower.

They are burning up the "Cabin Fever" time

How hard can it be to do a test? Take my blood and introduce the virus, then count.

These small dribbles about good and bad numbers, just the other day they post that ICU are the same but how anyone missed that that same number passed and were taken out of ICU "Well we have promising numbers only 4 more", and 4 passed but it is the total number that is the same.

 

They have to get off there arses and kick some butt, enough of candy coating a disaster, a blind person can see looking forward.

 

I am in "voluntary lock down" not because I am afraid I will get it, I might have it already, it is to protect others.

I am afraid not knowing, can you get it twice?

Do I have immunity now?

How long do I have to wait locked up?

What is the progression of symptoms? Is there a progression?

How long do I have to wait to find out?

 

I am so sorry for what you are going thru, my grandsons girlfriend  is going thru the same thing, she was working as essential service where some were tested positive last week she was taken by ambulance to hospital where they told her she probably has it  and to go home and stay in for 14 days. this week she is a little better but her throat is still sore and she is still experiencing chest pain.  it is so sad that Canada cannot make enough tests and then we would really know how many in Canada have it. it might make some people wake up  and stay home. anyways take care and I hope you feel better soon. we are all in this together

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Lazarus, I wish you the best, but from where I am in New Zealand, it looks like BC is doing okay, though it could be a lot more stricter in terms of testing and combating the spread of the virus.  I have to say, the lockdown here in New Zealand is quite a bit more strict than just about anywhere else, with the expressed goal of eliminating rather than mitigating or suppressing (as is the case almost everywhere else) the spread of the virus. but even here, testing is not widely available.  Instead, everyone except essential services have been at home for almost 2 weeks, with strict cluster of the virus being followed up on and traced exceptionally well by the medical system.  As a transplanted Canadian and BC resident, I feel extremely lucky to be living here right now.  If it is knocked on its head in another 2 weeks, we'll be lucky, as we can go back to normal and still keep the borders closed to tourism and business and travel for a few more months while everyone else deals with the virus and waits for a vaccine.  The benefits of being isolated!         

Edited by Hockey God
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well I woke up today, my head is still a little fuzzy, did I post yesterday?

Well I slept for two shifts of 3 hours with a bunch of blank spots thrown in.

Getting more hot flashes and cold sweats.

BUT

Appetite coming back and a much less sore throat.

Still get blood when I blow my nose, which I think is odd, but not much in sputum.

Still no fever.

Body aches and pains, but not nearly as painful breathing, but still have moments where I need to concentrate on taking the breath or a deep enough breath, it is still like my lungs forgot what to do sometimes.

OH!

I guess I had lost my sense of smell because there was this horrible stink, it WAS ME!:shock:

Enough energy to do my laundry, all of it, bedding, blughgh, but it wiped me out.

So shocking such a small thing would exhaust me.

Starting to take more interest in other things.

Started watching a ton more news from any other source but BC, just tired of being treated like a stupid child. At least that crazy guy in the US gets all this backing after he says something, it is like he has no filter, he hears about it and he talks, gets ridicules and then the science comes out from top level universities, but we get told not to listen up here because it isn't a fact yet, but then we were at a very low risk while the rest of the world was going on lock down remember. I sure hope they aren't waiting until all this stuff are facts, I mean if there is something to some of this I hope they are ordering now and not waiting to see half the world cured first and getting in line to buy this stuff. Really like Ont's Ford on never relying again on the good graces of other Nations to take care of our citizens

 

So far that's it for today.

Edited by Lazurus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Hockey God said:

 but from where I am in New Zealand, it looks like BC is doing okay, though it could be a lot more stricter in terms of testing and combating the spread of the virus.      

not sure how you can say that, BC and New Zealand have about the same population and close to the same number of cases. We had an unfortunate outbreak in several seniors care homes but other than that I don't see much of a difference in the outbreak size. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not sure how you can say that, BC and New Zealand have about the same population and close to the same number of cases. We had an unfortunate outbreak in several seniors care homes but other than that I don't see much of a difference in the outbreak size. 

I wouldn't say there's a difference in the number of cases, but in the way the response is being handled.  We've already been in lockdown for 2 weeks, but border controls and other restrictions here have actually been in place since mid-January.  The government was very proactive given the number of international students who were set to return in late January for studies from their homes in Asia, and that really stunted the spread of the virus here.  Basically, virtually all cases here are imports from tourists just prior to that lockdown, and the follow-on infections from their contacts, but we fully expect to be out of lockdown by around mid-April here, and back to full-on normal by the end of April, whereas other areas around the world are looking at months of restrictions.  Never been stopped by police before, but in the last 2 weeks, when out shopping for essentials, it happened 3 different times.  Arrests have also happened for breaking the restrictions.  So, serious response, and I applaud NZ for that.  Hopefully, BC will fare as well.           

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2020 at 9:24 AM, Lazurus said:

I knew better, I let the politicians dull my own thoughts. I actually thought that BC doctor would tell something of the truth even if I didn't believe all that they were saying.

That is why, hopefully people that got this can post their experience.

So far there isn't a symptom that doesn't match Covid.

No, you see it is only the numbers being counted that are flattening out, not the cases. This is all about panic management only. And being Canadian nice.

 

Ever wonder how many deaths are not counted because they are not tested? Another political hand grenade avoided by not testing extensively. Like if my older relatives pass, BTW they have not been tested either, will it be listed due to old age?

You nailed it, my man.  I’ve got 4 family members in the health care field and they’re all saying the same thing. 

 

  I mean if they really wanted too make BC look like a huge success in this, they should just quit testing. We could successfully get rid of Covid that way. We could also just say that there is a larger than usual number of cases of pneumonia this year.

Edited by Standing_Tall#37
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hockey God said:

I wouldn't say there's a difference in the number of cases, but in the way the response is being handled.  We've already been in lockdown for 2 weeks, but border controls and other restrictions here have actually been in place since mid-January.  The government was very proactive given the number of international students who were set to return in late January for studies from their homes in Asia, and that really stunted the spread of the virus here.  Basically, virtually all cases here are imports from tourists just prior to that lockdown, and the follow-on infections from their contacts, but we fully expect to be out of lockdown by around mid-April here, and back to full-on normal by the end of April, whereas other areas around the world are looking at months of restrictions.  Never been stopped by police before, but in the last 2 weeks, when out shopping for essentials, it happened 3 different times.  Arrests have also happened for breaking the restrictions.  So, serious response, and I applaud NZ for that.  Hopefully, BC will fare as well.           

Canada is really like multiple countries when it comes to this sort of thing, we have the 2nd largest land area in the world to manage, with most of our population in about 10 cities.

 

BC is doing great, well under the expected curve so far due to being proactive on testing, Quebec on the other hand is a nightmare. You really have to look province by province. 

 

 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My, it has a second kick.

Now there is a very low grade fever but that's all

And I slept most of yesterday.

Damn thing rag dolled me again, totally wasted, wrung out.

The general opinion by most medical people I talked to is they THINK I have it but without a test they cannot be sure.

I did find an article from Mt Sinai hospital in the States that would indicate I had or have moderate to borderline severe (coughing up blood) symptoms, it was weird, the description was almost verbatim as was the timeline. According to that, because of coughing up blood and my age, I should have been tested. But that is the US not here.

 

As you can see my hours are screwed up again.

 

And the isolation or quarantine starts AFTER I feel better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this bugger has finally run it's course

Maybe

 

So IF I had it, I may never know because I was refused testing and hospitalization 3 times, I didn't know about an ambulance call where I was unconscious where they refused to take me because my brother didn't know if I had contact with a traveler and my temperature was only very slightly elevated.

 

So now I would like to know if I am immune.

Can I get it again?

If I am immune does that mean I can volunteer to help with limited risk?

Or

Does that mean I have to continue to live in isolation and be a drag on resources?

 

I get it that the government is trying to control the spread, take it from a R3 down to under R1. This makes sense to achieve herd immunity and not overwhelm the medical system

 

So far I lost 20% of my mass. My lungs seem to have damaged. My automatic breathing impaired, I still have to think about breathing every now and then. My bowels aren't functioning as before, no urge to go.

  • Huggy Bear 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2020 at 8:57 AM, Lazurus said:

I think this bugger has finally run it's course

Maybe

 

So IF I had it, I may never know because I was refused testing and hospitalization 3 times, I didn't know about an ambulance call where I was unconscious where they refused to take me because my brother didn't know if I had contact with a traveler and my temperature was only very slightly elevated.

 

So now I would like to know if I am immune.

Can I get it again?

If I am immune does that mean I can volunteer to help with limited risk?

Or

Does that mean I have to continue to live in isolation and be a drag on resources?

 

I get it that the government is trying to control the spread, take it from a R3 down to under R1. This makes sense to achieve herd immunity and not overwhelm the medical system

 

So far I lost 20% of my mass. My lungs seem to have damaged. My automatic breathing impaired, I still have to think about breathing every now and then. My bowels aren't functioning as before, no urge to go.

I wish you well. Keep us posted on if you are given any other guidance from your doctor/the gov. I think your story is important for a lot of people to hear on both sides of the proverbial fence. Take it easy, eat well/avoid alcohol, get sleep and add activity slowly but progressively, as tolerable. There is also the chance that you haven't totally kicked it yet so keep that in mind.

AFAIK the answer to the immunity question is still unknown.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2020 at 9:52 PM, I.Am.Ironman said:

I wish you well. Keep us posted on if you are given any other guidance from your doctor/the gov. I think your story is important for a lot of people to hear on both sides of the proverbial fence. Take it easy, eat well/avoid alcohol, get sleep and add activity slowly but progressively, as tolerable. There is also the chance that you haven't totally kicked it yet so keep that in mind.

AFAIK the answer to the immunity question is still unknown.

I am suspecting some type of permanent damage to my lungs. Shortness of breath when doing pretty much anything. Still have an irritated throat too. Also bowel issues now.

 

SURE GLAD THOSE AMBULANCE DRIVERS DIDN'T HELP ME EH?

 

Infuriating is Dr. Bonnie saying how much they will help, right, "when you can't breathe then call us back" - 911, they actually said that , twice.

 

BTW I am being extremely careful, I am more worried about giving it to someone else though.

 

 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

I am suspecting some type of permanent damage to my lungs. Shortness of breath when doing pretty much anything. Still have an irritated throat too. Also bowel issues now.

 

SURE GLAD THOSE AMBULANCE DRIVERS DIDN'T HELP ME EH?

 

Infuriating is Dr. Bonnie saying how much they will help, right, "when you can't breathe then call us back" - 911, they actually said that , twice.

 

BTW I am being extremely careful, I am more worried about giving it to someone else though.

 

 

Damn.

I am sorry to hear of your lingering damage, I do hope you see improvement in the coming days.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Damn.

I am sorry to hear of your lingering damage, I do hope you see improvement in the coming days.

 

Still can't get a test for either, virus or antibodies. AND they still don't want to count me for anything.

 

Don't count and keep the numbers down, great idea! Can't have more cases if we don't count people that may have had it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Still can't get a test for either, virus or antibodies. AND they still don't want to count me for anything.

This part is really, really concerning.

I understand there can be mistakes with numbers, but if they aren't even counting wthell!

Really starting to wonder why I'm still going to work to earn the 25% that my workmates don't make, while they sit on the beach, at 75% pay.

Why risk it, if the numbers aren't accurate; how does anyone make an informed decision.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.