Sign in to follow this  
skeena1

Canucks on Sportsnet -Today - April 4

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, skeena1 said:

 

 

Bo Horvat vs the Red WIngs: October 22, 2019 4pm on Sportsnet Pacific....

...followed by the Sedins final home game - April 5, 2018 Also on the S-Pac.

The above games are followed by the "Building Brock" special.

And for those who dare: Game 7 vs NY Rangers from 1994 2pm on SN One.

 

I haven't watched Game 7 of 94 since I saw it live...  I might do it!

Good chance that I'll regret it lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I haven't watched Game 7 of 94 since I saw it live...  I might do it!

Good chance that I'll regret it lol

Same. 
That defeat was tough to watch. 
Be great for all the newer fans to observe what hockey used to be like and why toughness mattered in the playoffs.
 

Nobody ‘choked’ on that roster.

 

The Captain didn’t play on the periphery.

 

Injuries weren’t the excuse they offered in defeat. 
 

 

  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need a good cry every now and then, I think I'll watch 94

  • Hydration 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I can bare the Game 7 94 game today. I'm still very scarred by it. 

Today would have been the last regular season Canucks game. I wonder if it would have been to squeak into the playoffs? Or maybe they would have already clinched?

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish they would play these "classic" games in full length, most of them were great from start to finish...why deprive us of that to condense it into 1hr? 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I wish they would play these "classic" games in full length, most of them were great from start to finish...why deprive us of that to condense it into 1hr? 

Oh is that what's going on?  In that case nah! If I'm going to put myself through 94 game 7 then I want to do it right!

Back to Youtube it is!

  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG this game 7...I forgot how good (and bad the outcome) it was!

 

Linden just scored a beauty...driving the net.

 

But yeah...heartbreaker.  Not sure if I can even deal with this now...so many years later.  Keenan, Messier.  Puke.

 

But a great bit of commentary:   Canucks just were penalized for hauling down the Rangers in front of the net (3-4 times in a row).  
 

"It's like inviting piranhas to a water polo match"

 

I was completely all in/invested in this team.  This series really amped up my love of the team and they put on a helluva show.

 

 

  • Huggy Bear 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Same. 
That defeat was tough to watch. 
Be great for all the newer fans to observe what hockey used to be like and why toughness mattered in the playoffs.
 

Nobody ‘choked’ on that roster.

 

The Captain didn’t play on the periphery.

 

Injuries weren’t the excuse they offered in defeat. 
 

 

I agree with this post but I do wonder, what was said after the defeat? 

 

They were cheaper/dirtier than us? Or simply that they were better than us? Or they were lucky and we weren't? The last one would best describe what happened in game 7 I guess and hence, why we lost. Or that they accepted what happened and said nothing?

 

Was it the case that less "excuses" were given at the time because the means for communication isn't as broad as it is now where the media is constantly around the players and tweets every single thing they say instantaneously?

 

I do agree that 1994 team was better suited for the playoffs and had more durable players compared to 2011 team. They had more heart and the top players delivered in 1994. 

 

Hockey has definitely changed over the years but the team with more heart can always find a way to make up for the difference in skill in the playoffs.

 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, khay said:

I agree with this post but I do wonder, what was said after the defeat? 

 

They were cheaper/dirtier than us? Or simply that they were better than us? Or they were lucky and we weren't? The last one would best describe what happened in game 7 I guess and hence, why we lost. Or that they accepted what happened and said nothing?

 

Was it the case that less "excuses" were given at the time because the means for communication isn't as broad as it is now where the media is constantly around the players and tweets every single thing they say instantaneously?

 

I do agree that 1994 team was better suited for the playoffs and had more durable players compared to 2011 team. They had more heart and the top players delivered in 1994. 

 

Hockey has definitely changed over the years but the team with more heart can always find a way to make up for the difference in skill in the playoffs.

 

I don't know but I know that Pat Quinn stated later that he is positive if they would have had one more day rest they would have won it. 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a Wayne Gretzky special on today as well - 1989 Kings vs. Oilers when he became all-time points leader. Immediately following that they also showed the 1994 Kings vs. Canucks when he became all-time goal leader.

 

It was an unexpected bonus getting to watch more 94 Canucks. Linden had a sweet goal against Hrudey, 2 on 1 with Momesso. Also great play between Bure and Gino ... ahhhh, the memories!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see the 81-82 series.

I didn't have a VCR or PVR back then. I actually missed a couple of games because of school.

stoopid skool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Baratheon said:

I haven't watched Game 7 of 94 since I saw it live...  I might do it!

Good chance that I'll regret it lol

I watched it on youtube about 6 months ago. It was as depressing on repeat as it was live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2020 at 11:05 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Same. 
That defeat was tough to watch. 
Be great for all the newer fans to observe what hockey used to be like and why toughness mattered in the playoffs.
 

Nobody ‘choked’ on that roster.

 

The Captain didn’t play on the periphery.

 

Injuries weren’t the excuse they offered in defeat. 
 

 

It was 25 years ago...hockey was different then.

 

I loved how Linden/that entire team played for sure but you sound like you're not on board with this team in the here and now and I don't feel that's fair or warranted.  In comparing them.  Different time.   Can't live in the past and things do change...especially when players are also men who have to contend with the residue of the injuries for the rest of their lives.  Some that could be prevented.  They think about the aftermath a bit more because you could lose functions that will strip away quality time with family after it's all said and done.

 

The Bertuzzi incident really changed the culture of the club...don't blame anything but that.  Because it got serious REAL FAST, out of the rink as well as on the ice.  Things said and done in the heat of the moment in a rivalry "for blood" as it was marketed suddenly were considered criminal.  

 

There was a shift and it was a more tentative approach when/if engaging.   Pause at times.  Hard to forget that dark cloud that hung overhead.  So the team shifted from shirtless Gino rampaging and taking on any/all comers to be careful what we wish for because it unravels really fast. The officiating also reminded us that we were always on the radar.

 

 

They're getting back to it a bit.  But rock 'em sock 'em hockey is only in short and metered intervals now and at the mercy of blind referees.  We've never fared well in that department.

 

Nobody chokes on this roster either.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It was 25 years ago...hockey was different then.

 

I loved how Linden/that entire team played for sure but you sound like you're not on board with this team in the here and now and I don't feel that's fair or warranted.  In comparing them.  Different time.   Can't live in the past and things do change...especially when players are also men who have to contend with the residue of the injuries for the rest of their lives.  Some that could be prevented.  They think about the aftermath a bit more because you could lose functions that will strip away quality time with family after it's all said and done.

 

The Bertuzzi incident really changed the culture of the club...don't blame anything but that.  Because it got serious REAL FAST, out of the rink as well as on the ice.  Things said and done in the heat of the moment in a rivalry "for blood" as it was marketed suddenly were considered criminal.  

 

There was a shift and it was a more tentative approach when engaging.  Hard to forget that dark cloud that hung overhead.  So the team shifted from shirtless Gino rampaging and taking on any/all comers to be careful what we wish for.  The officiating also reminded us that we were always on the radar.

 

 

They're getting back to it a bit.  But rock 'em sock 'em hockey is only in short and metered intervals now and at the mercy of blind referees.  We've never fared well in that department.

 

Nobody chokes on this roster either.

 

 

I didn't think it was a shot at our current team.  I thought it was a shot at the 2011 team.  Many people thought they "choked" in the finals.  I do not agree but honestly I haven't watched Game 7 since that day nine years ago.

 

In a million years I doubt anyone would describe Bo Horvat as "playing on the periphery" so it can't be the current team haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I didn't think it was a shot at our current team.  I thought it was a shot at the 2011 team.  Many people thought they "choked" in the finals.  I do not agree but honestly I haven't watched Game 7 since that day nine years ago.

 

In a million years I doubt anyone would describe Bo Horvat as "playing on the periphery" so it can't be the current team haha

Taking a shot at that team is ridiculous too...doesn't matter to me, the same applies. 

 

What a season that (2011) was....got to see many games in person.

 

Some are slamming Bo lately and hinting that he is following Hank's footsteps (would be awesome in my view), not physical enough, etc. and it's infuriating.  LOVE his game and he will grow into his captaincy as he becomes comfortable with it.  Hard to take on a team as your own when there are veteran leaders and longstanding members...so I feel it's a matter of respecting that pecking order to some degree and using tact.

 

They didn't choke in the finals...games sometimes unravel, fast.  Teams can be momentarily shellshocked, but it's not due to character flaws or deficiencies...it's tougher "in real life" than watching from home.  Games get away.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Taking a shot at that team is ridiculous too...doesn't matter to me, the same applies. 

 

What a season that (2011) was....got to see many games in person.

 

Some are slamming Bo lately and hinting that he is following Hank's footsteps (would be awesome in my view), not physical enough, etc. and it's infuriating.  LOVE his game and he will grow into his captaincy as he becomes comfortable with it.  Hard to take on a team as your own when there are veteran leaders and longstanding members...so I feel it's a matter of respecting that pecking order to some degree and using tact.

 

They didn't choke in the finals...games sometimes unravel, fast.  Teams can be momentarily shellshocked, but it's not due to character flaws or deficiencies...it's tougher "in real life" than watching from home.  Games get away.  

Yeah I agree.  2011 was a great ride and some of my favorite memories of not only the team but the city as well.  The Sedins were both tough as nails.  They took a beating in the corners and in front of the net and yet they just kept chugging along like a machine.

 

I didn't realize that people were slamming Horvat for not being physical.  That's absolutely ridiculous lol.  And I mean "lol" literally.  I really did laugh when I read about people slamming Bo.  The guy is an absolute bulldog.  I'm still so happy that he's our captain!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.