The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #18

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #18  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #18 Canuck of All-Time?

• A. Mogilny
    • S. Salo
    • K. Bieksa
    • D. Lidster
    • J. Lumme
    • B. Morrison
    • D. Lever
    • A. Boudrias
    • D. Kearns
    • E. Jovanovski

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Voted Lidster - also nominating Sundstrom

I believe Lidster still holds the Canucks record for being on the ice for most goals scored in a season. He was on the ice for a total of 157 goals of Vancouver's 282 goals during the 1986/87 season. Unfortunately, he also holds the team record for being on the ice for the most goals scored against in a season during the same 1986/87 season. He was on the ice for 172 of the 314 goals scored against the Canucks that season. (I know.......useless trivia)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

The problem I have with guys like Mogilny and Sundstrom is that they only played 4 or 5 years. 

Mogilny is obviously an exceptionally talented player, as is Sundstrom. But, I don't believe, Mogilny, especially, had an impact on the team that warrants such huge praise. In his career and abilities, absolutely! He is amazing. All I'm saying is that out of these two guys, Sundstrom should be there before Mogilny. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Mogilny on pure talent alone. 

Nominating Hammer. BC boy, was my fav Canuck while he was here. He seems like a really good dude too. 

Mogilny should honestly be in the top 10

I voted Mogilny

Nominating Cliff Ronning

9 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Haha, wow this is looking scary man.  I have Lidster, Boudrias, Lever and Kearns as the four greatest Canucks from the options available and they're last in votes.

Yeah. I know it is what it is. But I don't believe a lot of people on here know the history of this team. I'm not saying that more current players aren't worthy. But it's clear that many aren't aware of the impact the players you just named, as well as others you haven't in the above post. Again, this is subjective, howerver, perhaps there should be a history lesson here! I'm still absolutely surprised that Kurtenbach hasn't even been nomimated. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BarnBurner said:

Yeah. I know it is what it is. But I don't believe a lot of people on here know the history of this team. I'm not saying that more current players aren't worthy. But it's clear that many aren't aware of the impact the players you just named, as well as others you haven't in the above post. Again, this is subjective, howerver, perhaps there should be a history lesson here! I'm still absolutely surprised that Kurtenbach hasn't even been nomimated. 

Yeah Ronning is my next big fish to fry, but Kurtenbach is right in the next batch of guys I have to try to get crammed into the nominations so they get some respect round these here parts - Tiger Williams, Gino Odjick, Orland Kurtenbach, Patrik Sundstrom, Gary Smith...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah Ronning is my next big fish to fry, but Kurtenbach is right in the next batch of guys I have to try to get crammed into the nominations so they get some respect round these here parts - Tiger Williams, Gino Odjick, Orland Kurtenbach, Patrik Sundstrom, Gary Smith...

Absolutely, Ronning has to be in there, plus all the other players you just pointed out. If you put those guys you just mentioned on our team at once, in their prime, lookout! Before I go back to reality, can you imagine a line with Kurtenbach, Williams and Odjick on the same line? Haha! Anyway, I believe that maybe we should all make up our own top 50 and compare it to others. That would be interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Absolutely, Ronning has to be in there, plus all the other players you just pointed out. If you put those guys you just mentioned on our team at once, in their prime, lookout! Before I go back to reality, can you imagine a line with Kurtenbach, Williams and Odjick on the same line? Haha! Anyway, I believe that maybe we should all make up our own top 50 and compare it to others. That would be interesting. 

I would love it it others made their own top 50s. As I've alluded to, I've made a top 70 in preparation for this list (Top 65 originally, but I made some additions/changes). At the end of the list, I plan on comparing CDCs list with my own and noting out some similarities and differences.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

I feel you Burner.  I made a top 50 in the early going but I have to admit I have made a few revisions after further contemplation, and occasionally after hearing the cases made for some players by other Canucks aficionados.  And once you hit the 25 spot and after, chances are guys would move up or down a spot depending on the day I made the list.  But mine's something like this.  I'll just include it in case people want ideas for nominations...

The 50 Greatest Canucks

#1-9 (no particular order)

Trevor Linden, Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, Stan Smyl, Markus Naslund, Pavel Bure, Kirk McLean, Roberto Luongo, Richard Brodeur

#10-12 (no particular order)

Harold Snepsts, Thomas Gradin, Alex Burrows

#13-20 (npo)

Doug Lidster, Tiger Williams, Cliff Ronning, Andre Boudrias, Alex Edler, Don Lever, Mattias Ohlund

#21-30 (npo)

Gino Odjick, Ryan Kesler, Todd Bertuzzi, Dennis Kearns, Patrik Sundstrom, Gary Smith, Jyrki Lumme, Alexander Mogilny, Geoff Courtnall, Orland Kurtenbach

#31-40 (npo)

Petri Skriko, Dave Babych, Ed Jovanovski, Elias Petterson, Barry Pederson, Brendan Morrison, Greg Adams, Garth Butcher, Kevin Bieksa, Kevin McCarthy

#41-50 (npo)

Rick Lanz, Jacob Markstrom, Paul Reinhart, Dennis Ververgaert, Darcy Rota, Chris Oddleifson, Bo Horvat, Sami Salo, Dana Murzyn, Curt Fraser

Very Honorable Mention:

Ron Sedlbauer, Cesare Maniago, John Garrett, Chris Tanev, Cory Schneider, Jocelyn Guevremont, Rick Blight, Doug Halward, Dale Tallon, Murray Craven, Martin Gelinas, Sergio Momesso, Gerald Diduck, Willie Mitchell, Bob Dailey, Wayne Maki, Gerry O'Flaherty, Bobby Lalonde, Brock Boeser, Ivan Boldirev, Dunc Wilson, Glen Hanlon, etc.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 2

Well, if this one's between Mogilny and Lumme, I gotta cheer for Lumme.  He is our all time career scoring leader for defensemen in the playoffs.  That's not far from the most important record you can have when it comes to greatness for a team.

But I really have to think about that one.  Shows how much things get bunched up in the 20s.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Plus Kurtenbach and Williams could score.  As I said elsewhere, Tiger Williams has more career goals than Henrik Sedin, in WAY less games.  Even Gino managed to score 16 I think one year.  Although I think Pavel was just bouncing them in off his back to be nice.

But come playoff time...  Man...

Williams - Kurtenbach - Gino

Smyl - Fraser - Bertuzzi

Bure - Linden - Courtnall

Momesso - Ronning - Neely (even the Canucks' 20 goal version)

Ain't nobody pulling a Marchand and speedbagging anyone's face against any of these lines, and all four can put the puck in the net.

Even Ronning and Bure didn't take crap from anyone.  Slash Kesler and he'll insult your mother until you get two minutes for slashing him again in front of the referee.  Mess around with Bure and your career is over.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I believe Lidster still holds the Canucks record for being on the ice for most goals scored in a season. He was on the ice for a total of 157 goals of Vancouver's 282 goals during the 1986/87 season. Unfortunately, he also holds the team record for being on the ice for the most goals scored against in a season during the same 1986/87 season. He was on the ice for 172 of the 314 goals scored against the Canucks that season. (I know.......useless trivia)

Lidster was on some of the worst teams we've had unfortunately..like other defenseman - and a minus 35 is pretty grim over a full season...However Edler was a minus 39 in only 63 games in 2013-2014....and a minus magnet pretty much the entire rebuild (too be expected) in a lower scoring era.   Wonder how the "points adjusted" crowd would feel about toning down Lidster getting victimizing by the Oilers and Flames a bunch of times and ADDing to Edler's victimization to make it more equal....it would also make his record lower and easier for Hughes to break ha ha..

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

It was a toss-up between Lumme and Salo for me, the both played nearly a decade for the Canucks. Lumme was great offensively, but Salo was fantastic defensively. I got to watch Salo a lot more and always thought he was so underrated.

Nominating Cliff Ronning 

6 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Haha, wow this is looking scary man.  I might have Lidster, Boudrias, Lever and Kearns as the four greatest Canucks from the options available and they're last in votes.

Sigh....I'm fine with the Lumme votes and have him up soon so glad he's getting his due.  But get what your saying - you'd be happy to know Lidster ranked 12 right after Snepsts and for Lumme fans he went 13, Boudrias 15, Lever 21 and Kearns 22.   So some would already be in and the ones that are not would be up very soon (THN's book).   I'm a huge Ronning fan so also have him coming up soon in my votes....it's just the age of the crew we are working with which is absolutely ok - it's still fun and also interesting to see some difference in the polls.   Early on I was adding my votes to the guys that were higher on my own list and close just to help get them in over guys I don't think had any business getting in that early - even though some were on there that i'd rather vote for.  Looks like a lot of diversity now that the clearer cut guys are long gone.  Boudrias and Lever have been in longer then some so a bit surprised not to see more votes - looks like the WCE - Sedin guys are getting in now/soon and that is going to make it even harder possibly.  Athough Jovo and Mogilny should get in soon too.

Edit:  If Mogilny catches up to Lumme I will be changing my vote ...

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1