The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Edmonton Oiler's Colby Cave dies

Rate this topic

No words... I was following this and really rooting for the kid, especially when I saw how young he was. I have a few years on him so from that perspective this just seems absolutely brutal. Condolences to the family, his poor wife must be devastated. RIP Colby Cave. 

That's a gut punch, dude was only four years younger than me. You never know how much time you have, but he went far too young. 

I was hoping he'd recover, my heart goes out to his wife, family, and friends. What a sudden nightmare. 

R.I.P

1 hour ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

He lost his dad when he was young. Have some compassion. It can be a tough world.

Maybe not the best time to debate the value of rural medicine with someone who has experienced traumatic grief in that system.

compassion is good.

I did not mean my comment to be mean.

Anyone harbouring that level of anger at what now must be between 35-50 years of age has larger problems than me calling him out on a message board.

unresolved anger is bad, and can lead to a failed marriage and broken children. Think I don't know? I know.

that poster needs help, and I mean that earnestly, not "nana poopoo your crazy' kind of you need help, but real help meant to resolve anger issues. It is out there.

I received some 'bad help' shortly after my father's death, and it made things worse. That Dr still lives in our city and runs for office on a Christian/anti-abortion ticket. I could harbour lots of ill will to him and his ilk, but what is the gain for me? I could blame Psychiatrists or Christians or Pro-lifers or the Jubilee Hospital, but where would it get me?

I'll be honest, I have spent time blaming Psychiatrists/Christians/Pro-Lifers, but never the hospital that I believe did their best. 

And time changes as does medical technology. They can do things now that they couldn't 25 or 49 years ago.

This is the Colby Cave thread, about a person who lost their battle even with big city quality care, so you are correct it is not the place to be debating small town Drs

Things changed for me with the death of my younger brother. Perspectives changed on anger and death. And a choice was made about how to deal with those around me, about those still living.

I sincerely hope that this poster can choose to make changes without the significant losses that spurred my changes. 

Maybe the symtoms of the Colby Cave case were a trigger. Those who have had loss at a young age can be triggered and taken back to a difficult time.

It happens when we least expect it.  I can certainly have compassion for that.

No hard fellings Canuktravella

Edited by lmm
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• -SN- changed the title to [Report] Edmonton Oiler's Colby Cave dies
9 hours ago, lmm said:

compassion is good.

I did not mean my comment to be mean.

Anyone harbouring that level of anger at what now must be between 35-50 years of age has larger problems than me calling him out on a message board.

unresolved anger is bad, and can lead to a failed marriage and broken children. Think I don't know? I know.

that poster needs help, and I mean that earnestly, not "nana poopoo your crazy' kind of you need help, but real help meant to resolve anger issues. It is out there.

I received some 'bad help' shortly after my father's death, and it made things worse. That Dr still lives in our city and runs for office on a Christian/anti-abortion ticket. I could harbour lots of ill will to him and his ilk, but what is the gain for me? I could blame Psychiatrists or Christians or Pro-lifers or the Jubilee Hospital, but where would it get me?

I'll be honest, I have spent time blaming Psychiatrists/Christians/Pro-Lifers, but never the hospital that I believe did their best. 

And time changes as does medical technology. They can do things now that they couldn't 25 or 49 years ago.

This is the Colby Cave thread, about a person who lost their battle even with big city quality care, so you are correct it is not the place to be debating small town Drs

Things changed for me with the death of my younger brother. Perspectives changed on anger and death. And a choice was made about how to deal with those around me, about those still living.

I sincerely hope that this poster can choose to make changes without the significant losses that spurred my changes. 

Maybe the symtoms of the Colby Cave case were a trigger. Those who have had loss at a young age can be triggered and taken back to a difficult time.

It happens when we least expect it.  I can certainly have compassion for that.

No hard fellings Canuktravella

actually goof you need the help im good a hole.  my dad died when i was 18 that was 25 yrs ago  and yes im not a fan of crappy small town hospitals or you so beat it 

Edited by canuktravella

2 hours ago, canuktravella said:

actually goof you need the help im good a hole.  my dad died when i was 18 that was 25 yrs ago  and yes im not a fan of crappy small town hospitals or you so beat it 

ya  your name calling shows you in a great light

• Cheers 1