The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #20

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #20  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #20 Canuck of All-Time?

• A. Boudrias
    • B. Morrison
    • K. Bieksa
    • S. Salo
    • D. Lever
    • E. Jovanovski
    • D. Lidster
    • P. Sundstrom
    • D. Kearns
    • C. Ronning

This poll is closed to new votes

I've been okay with this list up till this point.... But Salo?  Come on... There are at least 2 other defencemen with better regular season and playoff stats, games played for the team and overall impact during his time with franchise... He ain't chopped liver... but not top 20.  Please no.:sadno:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I've been okay with this list up till this point.... But Salo?  Come on... There are at least 2 other defencemen with better regular season and playoff stats, games played for the team and overall impact during his time with franchise... He ain't chopped liver... but not top 20.  Please no.:sadno:

Salo would have much better stats if he was able to stay healthy.  He wasn't able to though so that's why I personally have not voted for him yet.  He was only able to play 70 or more games in a season for us twice unfortunately.  B-Mo played six 82 game seasons in a row.  He had to play extra games in the playoffs 5 of those 6 years.  Big part of why he got my vote.  When we needed him he was always there!

However I will say that if I was voting for Sami, I would not be basing it on stats alone.  He was a very solid in our own zone as well.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Baratheon said:

Salo would have much better stats if he was able to stay healthy.  He wasn't able to though so that's why I personally have not voted for him yet.  He was only able to play 70 or more games in a season for us twice unfortunately.  B-Mo played six 82 game seasons in a row.  He had to play extra games in the playoffs 5 of those 6 years.  Big part of why he got my vote.  When we needed him he was always there!

However I will say that if I was voting for Sami, I would not be basing it on stats alone.  He was a very solid in our own zone as well.

Not many skaters could beat Salo one-on-one. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Salo was a big injection when he played - pretty sure our winning percentage went up when he was healthy....he just couldnt stay in healthy which is the only strike against him and it was a big one....many times I hoped we traded him just to give another team a problem in their line-up.  It's also why I have had some hardship with both Tanev and Edler at times but with them it was at least more understandable given for a lot of the time there really wasn't much else and they were taking the hard minutes...this was not the case with Salo we had Jovo, Ohlund,Bieksa,  and later Mitchell  and even Hamhuis  to split the time with...the guy was made of glass.   Not a huge fan of BMO either but would definitely put him ahead of Salo.   Back then fans wondered what we could do with a real first line center - its not like he was the offensive engine on that line - much like Burrows was a bit of a hanger on - but he did play and he was more defensively inclined then both Naslund and Bertuzzi.   Still both these guys are a bit early considering who else is on the list..,,not that they weren't great Canucks because they were - one needed more health  the other more skill.   

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Stopped reading when you said what you were going to do here...we'll see what 20 I come up with off the top of my head...

Gino, Tiger, Probert, Crowder, Paul Baxter, Dave Schultz...  That's six.

Randy Holt (that guy was an animal), Alan May, Rob Ray, Dave Manson, Chris Nilan maybe, Paul Holmgren maybe, Berube, McSorley, Semenko, Twist, Kocur, Domi, Basil McRae.

Maybe Lou Fontinato for a little old school representation.  Hey what do you know, that's 20.

Craig Coxe had a short career but he was pretty good.

Plenty of people would probably have Brashear and Chris Simon, but I was never blown away by either.

Those were the top twenty of the time .... not all-time just back around 1994-95 (mid-90's)... all-time would be quite a different list for sure. Coxe/Probert are involved with the best hockeyfights.com ratings ever..10/10.  If you watch those (Crowder ones were great too) then the best of the past few years its a little deflating.  Reaves wouldn't make the top 20 back in 1994/95 would be a tier below with guys like Kruse, Brashear (although he did become a top fighter for sure), Bonvie, Peluso etc....forgot about Severyn he'd bump someone out of my top 20 - maybe Laus....add all the Nealy,Shanny/Tocchet/Clark/Stevens types it was one rodeo for sure...McRae was one tough SOB too long in the tooth by then..

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

• -AJ- locked this topic