The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey's Back on the Menu: Game 1 of the 1982 Cup Final (Vancouver vs NYI)

Rate this topic

Kevin Biestra

Silver linings of the virus are things like this. 
Great job, OP. 

I remember a very tough team that hacked, slashed a willed their way to the finals only to be defeated by perhaps the best hockey team in history. As little as I knew about the sport back then, I knew I was witnessing greatness and had a feeling of reverence that was only eclipsed by Bure and the 1994 Final. 

The Sweep meant nothing to the Province, as it was the proverbial journey and the Final that became this franchises’ Cup, with the team and their hideous sweaters as being the epitome of “underdog”. 

I would be playing street hockey and come in to watch the early games, parts of, pieces of, as I was 8 years-old, but I remember the glory of it all. Those are the moments where the games transcends into something more, like Crosby’s Golden Goal did, for instance. 

What I mean to say is that I don’t forget where I come from as a fan of this team.

My notoriety and abrasive comments about indifferent play or softness are rooted in the legacy of this team being almost always awful, but very hard to play against and to take two points from. Of late, it hasn’t been losing that I’ve been griping over, it’s about how they lose/lost and these finals should serve to remind us what desire and heart can do for a team in the playoffs, even more than skill... cough Naslund/Sedin. It is what it is. 

The 2019 Canucks were as close to those early 2000 rosters, which were as close to the 92-97 rosters as I could ask for, those which I enjoyed because of their rugged style and desire, which is what I was exposed to prior to the ‘82 Finals, even back listening to Radio NL and Fraser punching someone out.

The brand of hockey on display in this series is what has defined my preferences and thus manifested in my posting history on here. My playing history, etc, it was all shaped by the excitement and impact of this playoff run, which I hope younger fans will learn more about. 

Its hard to describe what that final meant to BC, but if you recall the first days of Bure and then the ‘94 run, you get a sense of how incredible it was to see those amateur-looking hockey sweaters finally representing a province which had suffered Toronto and Montreal hockey, forever. It was as liberating as it was an improbable feat to just be there and in the end, that was enough. 

Stan &^@#ing Smyl... watch and learn why he is still here. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Thanks.

But I would like to see that whole '82 run replayed. Especially if there are no playoffs this season. I was a little too young and disinterested back in '82.  Only got into the team when Bure joined ten years later.   I suspect I'm not the only one.

So I've watched the '94 run. A couple of those games live. And of course the '11 run. But I'd love to watch not only the Final series between the Isles, but maybe more the three series we dogged out a win that post-season. Flames, Kings, and the Hawks.  I'd love to see just how much grit we must have had to beat the odds and win three series.  Love to watch it from the first game right through to the bitter end.  I'd watch that if they put on a game every couple of days. We actually have the home time to sit down and watch it.  I wish I knew how to make this happen.

King Richard

Smyl

Rota

Hlinka

Tiger Williams!

Snepsts

Marc Crawford!

edit: Gradin of course!

Edited by kilgore
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

What an amazing effort by a group of underdogs against one of the greatest teams in the history of the NHL. 

King Richard took a beating in the first two periods but hung in there and was superb! And to think, he was only 5'7 and 165 lbs. What a champ! 

Gradin showed why he is one of the all-time greats of the Canucks, as did Boldirev, on that beauty goal he scored. 

This team had guts and I hope our current team starts paying attention. They did progress this year in sticking up for one another. One step at a time. 

And Smyl, that fight against Nystrom shows the heart this guy has. He rocked Nystrom with a rock-solid left hook and that's what cut him up. 

Anyway, the fact they were even in this game, or that they made it to the Stanley Cup was more than anyone expected in 1982! 

Great memories! 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1