The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

68 Game Rollback?

Rate this topic

Provost

6 hours ago, BCNeil said:

Going to 71 games is still a mess.  Teams like Ottawa and Detroit have already played 71, so no need to do anything.  LA has only 70 games, but their next game is the Ducks.  Do they have to play this game, its meaningless?  Sharks have 70 games and their next game is against the Blues.  Blues are just ahead of the Avs, but they already played 71 games.  

Ah, right. Forgot the teams with 71 games already might have to play teams without. So the number of games would still be uneven. Well, it looks to me that point percentage would make the most sense then.

10 hours ago, BCNeil said:

Going to 71 games is still a mess.  Teams like Ottawa and Detroit have already played 71, so no need to do anything.  LA has only 70 games, but their next game is the Ducks.  Do they have to play this game, its meaningless?  Sharks have 70 games and their next game is against the Blues.  Blues are just ahead of the Avs, but they already played 71 games.  

over in the NHL Plan for the Season thread I made a 73 game schedule

Its a new draft that pits the teams that are in races against each other

All teams play at least 2 games and some play 5

the NHL is never completely fair anyway, but this is pretty close

have a look and tell me what you think

that is in Around the NHL 

Edited by lmm

17 hours ago, Provost said:

Actually... relevant musings.

Canucks discussion board.... Canucks discussion thread = relevant.

If you aren’t sure what words mean, you can always look them up.  It can be really helpful for you.

An irrelevant musing would be posting random unrelated and incorrect posts  that add no discernible content to the discussion in threads.

Shift-4 = irrelevant musings

There won't be playoffs for this season.

Edited by Shift-4

24 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

There won't be playoffs for this season.

that may be true, but this board is keeping cooped up hockey fans from doing useful things with our time

or murdering our families

woot

jk there are no family members within daggar shot of this fan at this time

9 hours ago, lmm said:

over in the NHL Plan for the Season thread I made a 73 game schedule

Its a new draft that pits the teams that are in races against each other

All teams play at least 2 games and some play 5

the NHL is never completely fair anyway, but this is pretty close

have a look and tell me what you think

that is in Around the NHL 

yeah it makes more sense than having the lottery teams coming back to play 1-2 games.  Maybe 74 games, so everyone gets 37 at home.  

7 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

yeah it makes more sense than having the lottery teams coming back to play 1-2 games.  Maybe 74 games, so everyone gets 37 at home.  

I am not sure you could make it even 36-37 , 37-36 but I might try just for the fun of it. 

I think if it came down to 38-35 we'd be lucky.

if you look close enough I did actually make a schedule that could take place over a certain time period. no team playing in 2 cities on the same day. But i did not look at home and away.

That would be the next step.

Like any repair job, you can only start with what you have, If one team has already played 38 games home or away you will never get to 37-37. but I have not checked.

I'll have another look and see if I can get to evry team play either 36or37 at home.

I did notice that Vegas would have to play in Edmonton twice and they would come out Vegas 37 home and Edmonton 36 at home. 

at a glance no team has played more than 37 games home or away.

just looking at an easy one Boston has played 35-35 and Detroit has played 37-34.

I think you do the best you can and use road wins as a tie breaker

Not to be a downer but the way things are going in the US right now I really don't see how this season is going to be played out.   It took China five months to re-open and they took and continue to take the strictest measures - a lot more then the US is doing.  Plus the experts are telling us there will be additional waves and new curves to deal with once this one is over....most countries curves are decreasing in the 35- 45 days after the first 100 cases ...  but still the US is facing millions of cases giving the sheer numbers they already have and that is with social distancing in affect..  Take that out and let fans congregate in the hundreds of thousands over a course of a playoff and those numbers go way up again, not something our PM would allow.   At this point a more realistic topic could be will there be a season next year.  Until a vaccine and testing is available to find out who in the population has already had it and has their own anti-bodies (as much as 10 per every person that is actually is tested has it too) and everyone has taken it - I have serious doubts sports fans will be getting their live fixes.. next summer hopefully we all will be going through the vaccination and or testing process which will also take months to do...2021-2022 is the realistic re-opening of the NHL.... 

Maybe what could happen is the NHL re-opens in about a year and they play out the rest of this season in its entirety and playoffs.  Freeze all UFA's because if their is no NHL next year they won't be paying their athletes - they will have to suck it up like the rest of us.  And keep rosters exactly as they were when they closed down...

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Not to be a downer but the way things are going in the US right now I really don't see how this season is going to be played out.   It took China five months to re-open and they took and continue to take the strictest measures - a lot more then the US is doing.  Plus the experts are telling us there will be additional waves and new curves to deal with once this one is over....most countries curves are decreasing in the 35- 45 days after the first 100 cases ...  but still the US is facing millions of cases giving the sheer numbers they already have and that is with social distancing in affect..  Take that out and let fans congregate in the hundreds of thousands over a course of a playoff and those numbers go way up again, not something our PM would allow.   At this point a more realistic topic could be will there be a season next year.  Until a vaccine and testing is available to find out who in the population has already had it and has their own anti-bodies (as much as 10 per every person that is actually is tested has it too) and everyone has taken it - I have serious doubts sports fans will be getting their live fixes.. next summer hopefully we all will be going through the vaccination and or testing process which will also take months to do...2021-2022 is the realistic re-opening of the NHL.... 

Maybe what could happen is the NHL re-opens in about a year and they play out the rest of this season in its entirety and playoffs.  Freeze all UFA's because if their is no NHL next year they won't be paying their athletes - they will have to suck it up like the rest of us.  And keep rosters exactly as they were when they closed down...

while I don't see this season finishing

I am just making a schedule for the personal distraction

I doubt that the NHL can arbitrarily add a year to contracts that run out this June30

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, lmm said:

while I don't see this season finishing

I am just making a schedule for the personal distraction

I doubt that the NHL can arbitrarily add a year to contracts that run out this June30

Absolutely - I get it.  The players all got paid the rest of the their contracts but didn't provide the service - just throwing ideas out there.  With everything that's going on they'd have to get on it before July 1 - or make some sort of decisions on what to do with this years crop of UFAs for sure.  Postponing it for a little while a least makes a lot of sense - to have a better understanding of what impact this going to have on them long term and the cap etc.  50/50 split - the players all got their cheques but the owners missed out on games this year already...can't see them getting paid past this if no hockey is happening - and not really sure how they will set the cap next year and when UFA's get signed when this season isn't officially over yet.   Contract's of course have time limits - but they haven't received the services for the past three pay periods - doesn't seem unfair to ask them to honour that all things considered - plus a full playoff season.  

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Take that out and let fans congregate in the hundreds of thousands over a course of a playoff and those numbers go way up again, not something our PM would allow.   At this point a more realistic topic could be will there be a season next year.  Until a vaccine and testing is available to find out who in the population has already had it and has their own anti-bodies (as much as 10 per every person that is actually is tested has it too) and everyone has taken it - I have serious doubts sports fans will be getting their live fixes.. next summer hopefully we all will be going through the vaccination and or testing process which will also take months to do...2021-2022 is the realistic re-opening of the NHL.... 

IF there's an NHL season to bring back this summer, it will likely be teams playing in empty, possibly 'neutral' arenas. No fans at the actual game, televised only.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

IF there's an NHL season to bring back this summer, it will likely be teams playing in empty, possibly 'neutral' arenas. No fans at the actual game, televised only.

That would be pretty strange.  I suppose social distancing could be waived in athletes cases just to give people something to enjoy during these strange times - and not too sure what sort if the revenue from TV would cover the re-hiring or paying staff required to make this work.  Kudos to the owners if they agreed to this - and same to the athletes for obviously putting themselves and their families at risk to make this work...seems like a bit of a pipe dream at this point though don't you think?

47 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That would be pretty strange.  I suppose social distancing could be waived in athletes cases just to give people something to enjoy during these strange times - and not too sure what sort if the revenue from TV would cover the re-hiring or paying staff required to make this work.  Kudos to the owners if they agreed to this - and same to the athletes for obviously putting themselves and their families at risk to make this work...seems like a bit of a pipe dream at this point though don't you think?

Strange or not, that's the new reality we're facing at present.

There's hundreds of millions of people stuck in their homes, desperate for content to watch on TV.

What they lose in ticket/gate sales, they gain in TV viewers, and tv ad revenue etc. Not to mention making their next tv deal worth all that much more.

On 4/10/2020 at 12:00 PM, IBatch said:

remember the mumps a few years back?

could be a repeat