The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alberta to send PPE to Ontario, Quebec and B.C.

Ryan Strome

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I think they are similar to BC's aren't they?

Didn't the report mention our health care officials studied it and determined they had enough to help others?

AB did a fantastic job getting out in front of the impending equipment issues, the feds should have done what AB did. It just shows how we need such better coordination in our health system, AB had it right and we all should have just jumped on what they did, but we just don't communicate properly between provinces and the feds on health. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

AB did a fantastic job getting out in front of the impending equipment issues, the feds should have done what AB did. It just shows how we need such better coordination in our health system, AB had it right and we all should have just jumped on what they did, but we just don't communicate properly between provinces and the feds on health. 

Imo this pandemic should teach all governments that we need to keep the closet stocked for emergencies. I think in your field you understand this more than I do?

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Imo this pandemic should teach all governments that we need to keep the closet stocked for emergencies. I think in your field you understand this more than I do?

there's more lessons than that, but for sure thats a big one. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I thought their COVID numbers were worse than ours

Overall cases are higher yes but Alberta has reported more recoveries than active cases. The Alberta government provides a ton of Covid19 data (which I can't find similar for BC) like this chart which shows that Active cases have been trumped by Recoveries and has been trending that way for the past week. It's a great sign but by no means is the fight over.

ab.JPG

Edited by RonMexico
  • Cheers 2

On 4/12/2020 at 7:26 PM, Ryan Strome said:

Obviously helping people is the right thing to do but my biggest concern is the ventilators, they're the real game changer in this pandemic. 

Last i payed attention we had like 16 people on vents in all of Alberta due to Covid we can spare them.

10 hours ago, RonMexico said:

Overall cases are higher yes but Alberta has reported more recoveries than active cases. The Alberta government provides a ton of Covid19 data (which I can't find similar for BC) like this chart which shows that Active cases have been trumped by Recoveries and has been trending that way for the past week. It's a great sign but by no means is the fight over.

ab.JPG

Just a random insignificant observation, but I found it slightly humourous that they literally used the word "Died". Not "Passed Away". Not even "Dead".Just "Died". Straight to the point and who cares about proper English at this time am I right?

I think I've been in my house for too long...

Edited by The Lock

On 4/12/2020 at 6:03 PM, Ryan Strome said:

The Alberta government says it has enough hospital beds and medical supplies to meet the projected demands of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Health Minister Tyler Shandro made the announcement during a press conference on Saturday afternoon.

Shandro also said Alberta would send personal protective equipment and ventilators to Quebec, Ontario and British Columbia.

"Our team of Alberta health experts is very confident in our modelling data and our expected need for PPE and ventilators," Shandro said. "I assure all Albertans that we have ample supply. We are in a position both to keep Albertans safe and to help ensure Canadian health care systems from coast to coast are equipped to take on the challenges ahead."

The province says the equipment will breakdown down as follows.

Ontario will receive:

•  250,000 N95 masks
  •  2.5 million procedural masks
  •  15 million gloves
  •  87,000 goggles
  •  50 ventilators

Quebec will receive:

•  250,000 N95 masks
  •  2 million procedural masks
  •  15 million gloves

British Columbia will receive:

•  250,000 N95 masks

Alberta will begin shipping the equipment next week and officials say the province could provide more supplies to other provinces as the need arises.

"Albertans should be very proud that we are able to extend a helping hand to our Canadian brothers and sisters in this time of need. It is because of Albertans’ efforts to isolate and the incredible job being done by frontline health-care workers that we are in a position to support others during this crisis," said Premier Jason Kenney. "We want all of our country to know that in both good times and bad, Alberta is there for Canada."

Kenney said the plan to get equipment to other provinces has been in the works for the last seven to 10 days. 

Kenney also said he hoped the provinces on the receiving end, especially those who have not supported pipeline development, would recognize that the donation is only possible thanks to Alberta’s resources.

“We Albertans contribute $20 billion more to the rest of Canada than we get back in benefits every year. That helps to fund their hospital systems, their healthcare systems, their schools and social services. So I hope that one of the lessons to be learned from this crisis is that we are all in this together,” Kenney said. “I hope there will be a renewed sense of national solidarity. And I think part of that should mean that we’re all in this together not only when it comes to a health emergency, but also when it comes to generating wealth through the responsible development of resources, so we can have the money that pays for world class health care.”

According to the province’s modeling projections, the virus will likely peak in the province in mid-May, and an estimated 820 people could be in hospital during that period. A quarter of those people will likely require critical care.

The province said based on those projections, and with current stockpiles of equipment and more on the way, Alberta will have enough PPE to maintain the necessary supply.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/mobile/alberta-to-send-ppe-to-ontario-quebec-and-b-c-1.4892347

This is why we all joined Confederation, because we are stronger as a whole than by our selves. This is why equalization payments happen, and this is why Alberta is trying to make a point.

There are great many good people in Alberta, all who have paid a lot of Federal tax, and who have felt pretty betrayed lately. By the Feds, and by BC, who instead of working together to find a solution to Alberta's problems, have turned their backs, because, well it is not good for us.

My point and Kenney's is we have to work together, and try to help one another. Kudo's to Alberta!

Well done! …........And...…….. THANK YOU!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

It just goes to show one way or another Canadians care for each other,and other countries people as well, if it was Alberta that needed supplies B.C and the other provinces would do the same and share their resources and equipment.

It shows that the Media(paid by big business) is the one that wants people to get all bent out of shape because of OIL

These huge energy corporations spend millions around the world doing the same shady stuff,the divide and conquer routine.

Now that we have a real life or death situation on our hands with this COVID 19,all the economy talk seems frivolous and a waste of time.

The thing that matters is people,our loved ones, and keeping them all safe.

6 hours ago, DADDYROCK said:

It just goes to show one way or another Canadians care for each other,and other countries people as well, if it was Alberta that needed supplies B.C and the other provinces would do the same and share their resources and equipment.

It shows that the Media(paid by big business) is the one that wants people to get all bent out of shape because of OIL

These huge energy corporations spend millions around the world doing the same shady stuff,the divide and conquer routine.

Now that we have a real life or death situation on our hands with this COVID 19,all the economy talk seems frivolous and a waste of time.

The thing that matters is people,our loved ones, and keeping them all safe.

Not to be that guy but the rest of Canada already proved they wouldn't ......and once again ( we tried to two different pipeline ideas and both coasts said no)

Alberta answers the bell.....they always do......

maybe after this , Canadians will understand why albertans are pissed off. 

Seems like Alberta is always there to bail Canada out but if Alberta needs something then it's like pulling teeth......

Your right the people matter but they need jobs to go back too....

Sorry I'm done.....

but it is nice to see people put there differences aside and help each other. 

I hope after this we all understand each other better and will put all of Canada first instead of this dick size contest that only hurts the people.....

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Not to be that guy but the rest of Canada already proved they wouldn't ......and once again ( we tried to two different pipeline ideas and both coasts said no)

Alberta answers the bell.....they always do.....

What?

There's a world of difference between saying no to a resource project and literally helping people who are frigging DYING from a pandemic.

It's the fact that your camp either cannot or will not differentiate between the two and keeps making statements like these that is causing a large part of the issue.

Alberta stepped up because they had more and people were dying.  Leave it at that.  Don't make a decent gesture part of your ongoing whine please.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

What?

OK ya know.  There's a world of difference between saying no to a resource project and literally helping people who are frigging DYING from a pandemic.

It's the fact that your camp either cannot or will not differentiate between the two and keeps making statements like these that is causing a large part of the issue.

Alberta stepped up because they had more and people were dying.  Leave it at that.

But Alberta could have held on to all that stuff just incase.....also wasn't Alberta thinking about leaving but they still put Canada first and if you look at Alberta always has. 

You always like remind me of liberal bail outs but what about all the times Alberta has bail us out? 

Also that resource project would have made it a lot easier for Canada and maybe Canada wouldn't be printing money like crazy.....you want people to stay home....but what happens when their EI runs out? 

Theres a bigger lesson here though we all need each and to keep each other in check but we need to work together on everything not just world crises....

In theory their both similar ......a job can save a life just as easy as a needle......

it's true though......like I said at the end of the post I hope this betters the understanding of the provinces and will help them work together 

but Alberta took the high road again.......

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

But Alberta could have held on to all that stuff just incase.....also wasn't Alberta thinking about leaving but they still put Canada first and if you look at Alberta always has. 

You always like remind me of liberal bail outs but what about all the times Alberta has bail us out? 

Also that resource project would have made it a lot easier for Canada and maybe Canada wouldn't be printing money like crazy.....you want people to stay home....but what happens when their EI runs out? 

Theres a bigger lesson here though we all need each and to keep each other in check but we need to work together on everything not just world crises....

In theory their both similar ......a job can save a life just as easy as a needle......

it's true though......like I said at the end of the post I hope this betters the understanding of the provinces and will help them work together 

Alberta is Canada! Stop with the naked tribalism.

Your province rode high on the hog for decades and now when things aren't great you are unbelievably whiny and petulant. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, inane said:

Alberta is Canada! Stop with the naked tribalism.

Your province rode high on the hog for decades and now when things aren't great you are unbelievably whiny and petulant. 

Ha but thx to Alberta everyone rode high on the hog......got to share the wealth you know......

Alberta is Canada when Canada wants something but Alberta wants something then that's a different story can you tell me any different ?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Ha but thx to Alberta everyone rode high on the hog......got to share the wealth you know......

Alberta is Canada when Canada wants something but Alberta wants something then that's a different story can you tell me any different ?

Yes, I can. But whatever. You act like Alberta gets zero benefit from Canada/other provinces because you don't get exactly what you feel you're entitled too. Boohoo.

Diversify or fade away.

7 minutes ago, inane said:

Yes, I can. But whatever. You act like Alberta gets zero benefit from Canada/other provinces because you don't get exactly what you feel you're entitled too. Boohoo.

Diversify or fade away.

But it has to be a give take relationship not just a take.....you have to agree that it's been slanted for far to long......

also why can't another province step up? Why can't Alberta just be an oil province and one province going threw hard times shouldnt bring  all of Canada to it's knees.....

i feel Alberta is entitled To put what ever industry first just like in b.c and tourism.......

also Alberta is so much more then just oil but you show me a way to make billions off cattle or grain and I'm all ears.....

Edited by RowdyCanuck

@inane

@Warhippy

I have always lived in BC, have always made my living from the sea

40 years as a boat captain, my dad a fisherman for 50

Grampa a fisherman, etc...…..

With Alberta hurting economically, this reduces police, hospital, fire, mental health and many other health and safety services.

"IF" Canada and BC had looked at "ALL" avenues of solution in regards to the pipelines, I would be in support and against those projects

But they did not, and because of that, I personally side on Alberta's side......

Why does this belong in a COVID-19 discussion, is that Alberta is being selfless, and sharing

as they did from profits of their oil, by means of equalization payments

Now, they are hurting economically, and we turn our backs

So are we not glad they didn't

I just find it convenient that many see it that way.

Alberta has been helping none Albertian's for many years

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

@inane

@Warhippy

I have always lived in BC, have always made my living from the sea

40 years as a boat captain, my dad a fisherman for 50

Grampa a fisherman, etc...…..

With Alberta hurting economically, this reduces police, hospital, fire, mental health and many other health and safety services.

"IF" Canada and BC had looked at "ALL" avenues of solution in regards to the pipelines, I would be in support and against those projects

But they did not, and because of that, I personally side on Alberta's side......

Why does this belong in a COVID-19 discussion, is that Alberta is being selfless, and sharing

as they did from profits of their oil, by means of equalization payments

Now, they are hurting economically, and we turn our backs

So are we not glad they didn't

I just find it convenient that many see it that way.

Alberta has been helping none Albertian's for many years

You mean Canadians have been helping Canadians. Stop with the tribalism!

39 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

No.

You're trying to conflate saving lives with an energy project.

That's stupid.

You're perpetuating this my side your side alberta vs the nation crap with every response you make.

Just stop.

• Upvote 2