The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #25

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #25  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #25 Canuck of All-Time?

• C. Ronning
    • D. Lever
    • P. Sundstrom
    • E. Jovanovski
    • C. Tanev
    • G. Odjick
    • G. Adams
    • D. Kearns
    • P. Skriko
    • G. Courtnall

This poll is closed to new votes

With the end of that tie-breaker, we move on to #25 and towards the end of the first half! Yes, that does mean that we voted in favour of simply moving the loser of the tie-breaker to the next position. This will also set the precedent for future tie-breakers.

Doug Lidster won the tie-breaker over Bieksa with 41 (61.2%) votes to Bieksa's 26 (38.8%). Lidster gets the spot of 23rd and Bieksa is given the 24th position.

Because this means that two players are off the list of voting options, the top two nominees with the most nominations will be added as options. Note that I've made this decision before counting the nominations as to avoid partiality as much as possible on my part.

Petri Skriko led the way in nominations with five so he was added as a voting option. Behind him was Geoff Courtnall with four nominations, so he was also added to the list.

Reminder to both vote and nominate another player to be added as a voting option!

For those of you who haven't seen these kinds of polls before, the way they work is you vote for who you think is the greatest/top Canuck at the position. As for what is meant by "Greatest" or "Top", I will leave that to each individual. I have my own interpretations, but others may define it differently. Worth noting, that I do want to keep this to their tenures with Vancouver and as players, thus a player like Neely would only be considered for his Vancouver time and guys like Quinn and Crawford would only be considered for their playing careers, not their coaching careers.

The List:

#1 - H. Sedin

#2 - D. Sedin

#3 - T. Linden

#4 - P. Bure

#5 - M. Naslund

#6 - S. Smyl

#7 - R. Luongo

#8 - K. McLean

#9 - T. Gradin

#10 - A. Edler

-------------------

#11 - T. Bertuzzi

#12 - M. Ohlund

#13 - R. Brodeur

#14 - A. Burrows

#15 - R. Kesler

#16 - H. Snepsts

#17 - T. Tanti

#18 - A. Mogilny

#19 - J. Lumme

#20 - S. Salo

-------------------

#21 - B. Morrison

#22 - A. Boudrias

#23 - D. Lidster

#24 - K. Bieksa

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

With Lidster off the list, it's time to move to my next choice. I had Juice a fair bit further down the list, but I can see the case for him getting in about here. I'm now shifting my vote to another defenseman, Dennis Kearns. The first long-time Canuck blue liner patrolled the back end for 10 years, playing 677 games and totalling 321 points. Most notably, he had 290 assists, a total that wasn't beaten until Edler beat it just this year. Kearns also has the record of 55 assists in a season, which he had in 1976-77 during his best offensive year when he scored 60 points. Kearns even received a couple of All-Star team votes at the end of that season.

Fortunately for me, Skriko got onto the list of options and Courtnall was my next choice anyways, so I can jump two up my list to the next nomination, which is Darcy Rota. I'm actually surprised I haven't heard his name more, as the Vancouver native spent four and a half seasons in Vancouver, scoring over 20 goals in all four complete seasons. Despite missing 8 games in 1982-83, Rota scored 42 goals, which was a Canuck record at the time, beating out Ron Sedlbauer's previous record of 40 goals.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Kearns

HANSEN 

Gonna have to start arguing harder for my boy

Hansen is 20th in games played amongst Canucks, ahead of at least few players who've made this list already

He's also 32nd in total points amongst Canucks, impressive given he played mostly a bottom 6/top 9 role 

He was one of the few players we've had over the last decade that you could count on to give his all game in and game out, he didn't take games off

Seriously, Burrows gets a lot of love but Hansen was right there with him as a heart and soul player 

And then we've got this, helluva dude 

Don't sleep on the honey badger

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

Voted Lever. 

Nominate Kurtenbach. 

And yeah, there are some great players to choose from. It doesn't make it easy. I've nominated Williams before and he deserves it! But our first Captain is a champ too! 

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Fortunately for me, Skriko got onto the list of options and Courtnall was my next choice anyways, so I can jump two up my list to the next nomination, which is Darcy Rota. I'm actually surprised I haven't heard his name more, as the Vancouver native spent four and a half seasons in Vancouver, scoring over 20 goals in all four complete seasons. Despite missing 8 games in 1982-83, Rota scored 42 goals, which was a Canuck record at the time, beating out Ron Sedlbauer's previous record of 40 goals.

Good nomination.  The main thing keeping him further down the list is only 200-something games.  But he sure made them count, in the regular season and the playoffs.

Too bad he got injured during his final year.  He was on pace for 40 goals again and was one of the relatively few Canucks from those days who was still going strong at 30.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Too bad he got injured during his final year.  He was on pace for 40 goals again and was one of the relatively few Canucks from those days who was still going strong at 30.

Re injured his back during one of Bill Laforge's  strange drills. Was never the same.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Kearns

HANSEN 

Gonna have to start arguing harder for my boy

Hansen is 20th in games played amongst Canucks, ahead of at least few players who've made this list already

He's also 32nd in total points amongst Canucks, impressive given he played mostly a bottom 6/top 9 role 

He was one of the few players we've had over the last decade that you could count on to give his all game in and game out, he didn't take games off

Seriously, Burrows gets a lot of love but Hansen was right there with him as a heart and soul player 

And then we've got this, helluva dude 

Don't sleep on the honey badger

That hit still pisses me off to this day. Text book blindside hit to the head, principle point of contact was the head. Left his feet and extended his elbow. NO SUPPLEMENTARY DISCIPLINE WHATSOEVER.

Which is why I hope Toronto remains forever in hell.

Anyhoo...

I voted Jovocop

I nominate Larry Goodenough all because of his name 

• Cheers 1