The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

City of Vancouver at Risk of Bankruptcy

nucklehead

23 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I don’t know if it’s bash game or disagreeing that lack of affordability is somehow justified by perceived overall city quality.

Regardless, point taken.

I think its usually one or the other depending on the person (similar to the AB thread, some just hate Alberta and some have valid points on the positives/negatives of the oil and gas sector). And while I love Vancouver personally for a variety of reasons (family and growing up here being the main ones with a bonus being that fortunately my career has made it so I can afford to live here), the lack of affordability is not one of them and I agree does not speak to overall city quality. Unfortunately Vancouver was a real estate speculator/money launderers paradise and we will/are all paying for it...

Edit: Meant to qualify my first statement by what I think will happen in this thread not what has happened so far.

Edited by Ronaldoescobar
  • Cheers 1

My wife grew up in East Vancouver and nothing else will ever be as good as B.C and Van.

Just like my hometown where I grew up and all my family lived will never be replaced.

We had misfortune of war so staying was not really an option.

But I am very attached to my “adopted country” that took us in when times were tough.

When you have an emotional attachment to a place you look at things subjectively and that ok.

For me personally I enjoy Vancouver island more than Vancouver, also huge fan of Whistler and Okanagen.

Also being European, I like Montreal more than any other large city in Canada.

Lots of history and culture to immerse yourself in.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Property taxes in Vancouver are comically low. How can people not afford $4K per year in property taxes when their house is worth $1.5M?

Real estate value is not linked to earnings/wages. 

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

Property taxes in Vancouver are comically low. How can people not afford $4K per year in property taxes when their house is worth $1.5M?

If you bought the house 20+ years ago at a reasonable price on a basic wage, 4k is a lot. Land rich, cash poor. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

City is so overpriced and overrated, I feel bad for all the young people trying to buy.

I feel bad for myself, and I'm not even that young.  

Buying a concrete shoebox for 450,000$ just has zero appeal.  Cheap rent is hard to find since most of the landlords are renting to international students, which are the bread and butter of the Lower Mainland.  

Definitely not a city where it's easy to get ahead in life through hard work.  

2 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Yes, I am kind of getting a little tired of all this whining

Most people if push came to shove, could re-mortgage for $30,000 if needed. But why would you even have to? The Feds and the Prov. are giving out free cash to those that loose their jobs. So the Mortgages and the rents should get paid.

Stop spending money on Pot, Booze, Cigs, Lattes, Cell phones, Cable TV, etc...….then come back if you don't have enough. 

Geesh! It is like people are useless or something????? We complain when the Government does not preplan, then we cant last a month before crying for help...……...

Suck it up people!

This could get a lot worse!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Yes, but a lot of people did not pay $1.5 Million for their houses.   We bought our house in 1977 for $70,000 and property taxes were about $400 back then.  Minimum wage was only $3.00/hr. then.    Property taxes may have gone up 10 times but wages certainly have not.

• Vintage 2

19 hours ago, Violator said:

This is what happens when your only industry is real estate and drugs.

And Tech. Fishing. Media. Shipping. Tourism. etc. Not to mention being the main economic hub for all the industries that have a big presence in BC like forestry and mining.

Vancouver actually has a really diverse economic profile, the hardships that are going to come are a result of poor decision making, not because we've based our entire economy on something like, I don't know, oil.

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

And Tech. Fishing. Media. Shipping. Tourism. etc. Not to mention being the main economic hub for all the industries that have a big presence in BC like forestry and mining.

Vancouver actually has a really diverse economic profile, the hardships that are going to come are a result of poor decision making, not because we've based our entire economy on something like, I don't know, oil.

yup it does. Its easy to google it and find out. 

Translink is another entity that’s about to run out of money. Interestingly, they’ll need about $200-$250m to get the system running until mid-late summer to help essential workers get to work now, and the larger community later on, get the economy rebounding quickly once the lower mainland is in a position to do so. 

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

But oil makes more then like all those together and then to add insult alberta's beef and grain probably beats a few of those also. 

And media well Calgary has plenty of movies filmed over there and one of the best t.v shows heartland :) 

so yea it's not like our other industries don't punch above their weight class....but name another industry in oils weight class? Lol

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

But oil makes more then like all those together and then to add insult alberta's beef and grain probably beats a few of those also. 

And media well Calgary has plenty of movies filmed over there and one of the best t.v shows heartland :) 

so yea it's not like our other industries don't punch above their weight class....but name another industry in oils weight class? Lol

can you alberta guys stay out of any thread? is that possible? how insecure can you be.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, inane said:

can you alberta guys stay out of any thread? is that possible? how insecure can you be.

Actually I'm bored and stoned...... Lol

also why do these say Alberta guys have to stay out?.....this is a Canuck forum not a no Alberta guys forum and hey what about the Alberta girls? Guys only?.

4 hours ago, milk and honey said:

What happens to a city bankrupt? 

Was just thinking today to what would happen if Canada went bankrupt or couldn't borrow anymore money 

If Canada went bankrupt, it would just print more money for internal use (inside Canada)

But would have to use the money it collects in exports (US dollars) to buy things outside of Canada

It would probably be a good thing really, if it happened in the spring

We would grow our own veggies, and meat

we would produce our own oil

we would build our own cars

we would cut our own lumber

Make our own wine, make our own beer, our pot, our own 

we would...…...

hey wait a minute, we do all these things already

then why should we worry?

I guess we would not vacation as much outside Canada