The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

City of Vancouver at Risk of Bankruptcy

nucklehead

I often think of Seattle and Vancouver comparisons.  I don't think Vancouver can compare with the industrial clout Seattle has.  It has a seaport, mining, forestry and fishing like we do.  But Seattle has a large US Navy airbase (Whidbey Island), Microsoft, Starbucks, Seattle's Best and Costco.  Plus they have an NFL team and MLB team and they're soon to have an NBA and NHL team.  What are the biggest companies based out of Vancouver:  Telus, Jim Pattison Group and Teck Resources.  These businesses don't compare to Seattle's biggest companies.  Bottom line, Vancouver real estate is over priced for the industrial base it has.

On 4/14/2020 at 4:01 AM, DonLever said:

Yes, but a lot of people did not pay $1.5 Million for their houses.   We bought our house in 1977 for $70,000 and property taxes were about $400 back then.  Minimum wage was only $3.00/hr. then.    Property taxes may have gone up 10 times but wages certainly have not.

Property taxes don’t increase with the price of houses. 

In the attached example Taxes are roughly $400 on a $20,000 property or 2%. If property tax increased with the price of housing, say that property is now $1.5 million property taxes would be $30k per year which is in line with what my US coworkers pay relatively.

A Vancouver homeowner complaining about paying property tax would be like a kid from a rich family only having to pay $10k for a Maserati then complaining about having to also pay for gas so the government says they can fill up and not pay in the meantime. 

I don’t care if someone is making minimum wage and got their house for free if they own in Vancouver they are a millionaire and can AT LEAST afford to pay their tax bill. Sad excuses.

B9861702-5517-4D01-B271-C6DB368D98B8.png

• Cheers 1