The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #26

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #26  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #26 Canuck of All-Time?

• D. Lever
    • D. Kearns
    • E. Jovanovski
    • C. Tanev
    • P. Sundstrom
    • G. Adams
    • G. Odjick
    • P. Skriko
    • G. Courtnall
    • B. Horvat

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Matt who?

Voting Sundstrom.

Nominate Hamhuis.  My heart says Hansen, but Hamhuis was the better player,.

Hansen will make the top 50 - and deservedly so - Hamhuis too...and yes he was the better player although greatness can be pretty subjective.  This is going to be quite the ride to the end and think the heart string players will start to pop in a lot more now nominations wise which is ok.    Five years of Curt Fraser - a heart and soul 25 goal scorer who had a great playoff run to the final for us and one of the most feared fighters in the league - an original Canuck draftee who was good enough to end up getting traded for Tanti....he's a guy i'd like to see get his due - same with Suitcase Smith - who had his best season for us, putting the entire team on his back on the way to our first playoff berth in 75.   When we start getting down to guys who burned bright but weren't here that long both Rota and Larionov also deserve some props.   Losing Larionov was the difference between the cup in 94 for sure.  Hope that people look behind that stats and spend some time watching video ..... Oddleifson...our original Captain too...Ververgaert....still some great guys in the weeds - and only 15 more of them can get there!   If your doing your "research" on Ranker....ha ha ha.  Well that's hilarious as LE is 51, Vrbata is in the top 40-50, EP the top ten, Horvat 13 and BB 15....need I say more.  A lot of great options left - look forward in seeing how this all plays out and will try to bite my tongue but no promises ... both these are deserving ones...but still we got some others (Babych 7 years - Butcher 10 - Williams 5 but an Icon) that need their due still - Babych is way up near the top in playoff points and scored a huge goal in the 94 final for us...more points in less games then both Salo and Bieksa... 

Edit:  Speaking of feared fighters - if you like enforcers Brashear had the best Canuck season of any enforcer ever - where he led the entire league in PIMs, set a new team record and fought a league lead 26 times and won every single one.  He became the leagues best fighter while here, beating Probert, Mcsorely and the rest of the old squad - and all the new up and comers too.  Could play the game ok too - taking a regular 3-4 line shift and scored a modest amount of goals - definitely not a goon.  The McSorely incident might of soured things - but thats not on him really....the best fighter in team history.  He toiled through the dark ages - too bad he didn't stay for more of the up years - but he protected our guys well and added a lot of intimidation during his time with us.  Maybe he doesn't deserve to be on this list - and I won't nominate him - but he wouldn't be a guy I'd be upset to see get some love.  Was here long enough...and made our bench feel a few feet taller I'm sure. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, nux4lyfe said:

Bieksa should be higher on the list, He was loyal.

Bieksa and Burrows were my favvorite two Canucks from the Sedin teams....That  said there are some guys behind him that arguably were greater in Kearns, Lever and Jovo, ...and maybe Sundstrom too.  That said he almost exactly where THN had him  (23) .... maybe 2-3 spots out of whack but nothing egregious.   All-star selections and team records (that later get beat) matter in these things.  He was a great Canuck for sure - a huge part of our cup run - a memorable OT goal....and even Conn Smythe consideration after the third round.   Should have beat out Salo for sure...and Mogilny too.  But really hard to put hiim ahead of anyone else on that list except maybe BMO.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Edit:  Speaking of feared fighters - if you like enforcers Brashear had the best Canuck season of any enforcer ever - where he led the entire league in PIMs, set a new team record and fought a league lead 26 times and won every single one.  He became the leagues best fighter while here, beating Probert, Mcsorely and the rest of the old squad - and all the new up and comers too.  Could play the game ok too - taking a regular 3-4 line shift and scored a modest amount of goals - definitely not a goon.

Not too shabby but Tiger Williams scored 35 goals for us the year he also led the league in PIMs, and received post-season All Star and Hart Trophy votes.

I don't know if anyone else has ever led the league in penalty minutes and received any Hart Trophy votes in the same year.  I think you have to go back to Eddie Shore.

That guy was a beast, and it's no accident that he was named after one.  I think nine years with >290 PIM.  Six with way over 300.

If Brashear went 26-0 that year, though, pretty impressive.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Not too shabby but Tiger Williams scored 35 goals for us the year he also led the league in PIMs, and received post-season All Star and Hart Trophy votes.

I don't know if anyone else has ever led the league in penalty minutes and received any Hart Trophy votes in the same year.  I think you have to go back to Eddie Shore.

That guy was a beast, and it's no accident that he was named after one.  I think nine years with >290 PIM.  Six with way over 300.

If Brashear went 26-0 that year, though, pretty impressive.

Used to pick up whatever hockey rags I could find in the mid-late nineties and one I really liked was Tuff Guys - a magazine that ranked the enforcers for four or five years ... Brashear was named fighter of the year after his break-out season.  Even before when he was in MTL I noticed this guy - he was laying some serious beatings on guys before he was really noticed later in Vancouver..  from 95--96 rag he wasn't yet ranked in the top 25 but was given "golden gloves" recognition and was considered a reluctant enforcer early on and criticized for it.  He's quoted back then " I wanted to study guys before opening up because I don't want to get beat"... pretty hilarious considering he went on to lay waste to the entire field - worrying about losing maybe helped him from getting dropped early but he could also skate and was a decent junior scorer and teams valued that back then (both toughness and ability to play the game).   From a technical standpoint he was the best fighter we've ever had, and the only one who had the heavyweight belt for a couple of years before Laraque came up and most would say took it from him (although head to head they split ties and decisions)...he fought Probert more then anyone else - and Probert really was never worse for wear but couldn't keep up to his furious left jabs and crosses..  Odjick was good too - all offense but was never considered a top ten heavyweight (13 was a highest rank he got - back in 95),  very good for sure but lost his fair share....and when Brashear arrived his days were numbered.    His fights with loudmouthed Domi were epic- kept on beating him but Domi kept on mouthing off.   The other enforcers considered him the cream of the crop for most of his career - and its not often those guys play over 1000 games....beat Boogeyman, Boogard, and Orr late in his career...  One tough S.O.B. and he earned his reputation playing for the Canucks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IBatch said:

Hansen will make the top 50 - and deservedly so - Hamhuis too...and yes he was the better player although greatness can be pretty subjective.

I like Hansen a lot and have no opposition to him making the top 50.  But at the same time, I have him competing for those last spots.  When I stack him against Rick Blight or Bobby Lalonde, Tallon, Guevremont, Sedlbauer, other Top 50-70 guys, etc...  It's not at all certain to me that he should come out on top, other than his work being more recent.  It's not entirely clear that he shouldn't come out on top either, but there are arguments to be made for Hansen, and for those other guys.

Hansen has longevity and being a support guy on the 2011 team working in his favor, but those other guys have other things going for them as countervailing factors.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

• -AJ- locked this topic