The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #30

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #30  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #30 Canuck of All-Time?

• G. Adams
    • B. Horvat
    • G. Odjick
    • O. Kurtenbach
    • G. Courtnall
    • P. Skriko
    • C. Tanev
    • D. Babych
    • G. Butcher
    • T. Williams

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

All of the nicknames from the 90's on really just involve putting a 'y' at the end of the player's first or last name (e.g., Millsy, Petey, Eddy, Danny, Marky, etc.).  They've lost a lot of colour over time, that's for sure.  I'm pretty sure these nicknames disappeared around the time the league started to clamp down on bench-clearing brawls.:mad:

BTW, voting Kurtenbach and nominating Gary Smith once again.

Yup, the NHL went downhill in proportion to the lack of quality of nicknames, we should have a poll 

for all time greatest nicknames, I nominate Steamer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Yup, the NHL went downhill in proportion to the lack of quality of nicknames, we should have a poll 

for all time greatest nicknames, I nominate Steamer.

Say what you will about modern nicknames, but it's hard to knock "Juice" as an amazing one.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Another great one, as much as I love the Sedins, the sisters has to be one of the worst.

Well that wasn't so much a nickname as just a childish insult. A nickname to me has to be friendly in nature.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Well that wasn't so much a nickname as just a childish insult. A nickname to me has to be friendly in nature.

Unfortunately it stuck and they did not have another, once again, I loved them.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

23 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

All of the nicknames from the 90's on really just involve putting a 'y' at the end of the player's first or last name (e.g., Millsy, Petey, Eddy, Danny, Marky, etc.).  They've lost a lot of colour over time, that's for sure.  I'm pretty sure these nicknames disappeared around the time the league started to clamp down on bench-clearing brawls.:mad:

BTW, voting Kurtenbach and nominating Gary Smith once again.

Either a "y" or an "s."  Not even worth the trouble of making a nickname and not even deserving of that term.  Or just adding "er" like Trevor "Kidder" Kidd.  He even had "Kidder" on his mask.  It was embarrassing.

King Richard, The Roadrunner, Boom Boom, Little Ball of Hate, Big Bird, Cyclone Taylor.  That's how it's done.  I wish they wouldn't even bother if they're just going to Kidder and Millsy it.

If Jacques Plante had shown up one day with "Planter" painted on his mask, he'd have been beaten up after practice by his own teammates.

The only good nickname to come out of the 90s might have been Red Light Racicot.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Yan86 said:

why isn't anyone nominating hamhuis?

Didn't play as long as some other guys and although he was good, he was never really a star player for our team. I personally don't have Hammer in my top 50 at all, but he has been nominated a few times by some others. He is being mentioned here and there.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Tom Larscheid also called them Pinky and the Brain

You don't have to like the other things, but they weren't just known as "the sisters" 

I forgot which player it was, but it was a guy on the other team that called them the Pinky and the Brain twins because they had big foreheads.  Most people didn't get that he was making fun of their appearance and the name just kind of stuck as a non-insult because it went by a lot of heads.

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I forgot which player it was, but it was a guy on the other team that called them the Pinky and the Brain twins because they had big foreheads.  Most people didn't get that he was making fun of their appearance and the name just kind of stuck as a non-insult because it went by a lot of heads.

I can't recall, but Larscheid grabbed it and considering his history with the Canucks, his rolling with it flipped the intention on it's head for me 

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Didn't play as long as some other guys and although he was good, he was never really a star player for our team. I personally don't have Hammer in my top 50 at all, but he has been nominated a few times by some others. He is being mentioned here and there.

I think I have him right at 50th.  It was a dogfight with Tallon, Blight, Lalonde, Tanev, etc.  I let him have it based on the 2011 run, a couple Babe Pratt trophies and a little bonus for the Olympic gold while in our lineup.  It was splitting hairs though and I could perhaps have him anywhere from 45-60 depending on how I'm feeling that day.

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I think I have him right at 50th.  It was a dogfight with Tallon, Blight, Lalonde, Tanev, etc.  I let him have it based on the 2011 run, a couple Babe Pratt trophies and a little bonus for the Olympic gold while in our lineup.  It was splitting hairs though and I could perhaps have him anywhere from 45-60 depending on how I'm feeling that day.

Yeah, it's a bit odd that I seem to have him lower than most people, because there were definitely times during his tenure when he was my favourite Canuck. He sits at 62nd on my list though, and I felt that he was never really our best defenseman at any one time. IMO, Ehrhoff, Edler, and even Tanev were often more critical to our team at various times during his time with the Canucks. That said, Hamhuis was pretty consistent and was always a good defenseman, so he was pretty much reliability defined.