The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nova Scotia shooter dead after killing 22 people/CDN Govt "assault style" weapons ban.

nuckin_futz

12 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't see the two situations as anywhere close to analogous.

We're kind of drifting off into the ridiculous, so a good time to call it, I think....

You drifted into the ridiculous a while ago you just don’t know enough about firearms to realize it.

the two are analogous Like this:  the government is picking and choosing incredibly similar firearms and calling some fine and other prohibited based primarily on appearance (largely over function).  This is the same as telling someone what beer they can or can’t drink based on appearance because they believe one is better than the other.

that is literally what is happening to firearm owners.... it is - as you say - drifting into the ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

well, thats what a democracy is for. 

But we should be able to. Its disappointing that we can't de-politicize gun safety. 

I'm not even sure it's all that political....

...I think it's actually more a case of not wanting "Big Brohter" looking over your shoulder, which I totally get. It's just that when it comes to guns at least, I don't agree.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm not even sure it's all that political....

...I think it's actually more a case of not wanting "Big Brohter" looking over your shoulder, which I totally get. It's just that when it comes to guns at least, I don't agree.

I get it, but we sold ourselves to Big Brother and he sold it to his cousin years ago. There's no such thing as privacy if you've done it online or used a credit card for it. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I get it, but we sold ourselves to Big Brother and he sold it to his cousin years ago. There's no such thing as privacy if you've done it online or used a credit card for it. 

I agree. Still, that won't change the opinions of many....

image.png.76ca0330389d6ddc8a746ae2b00a8a30.png

We can already see the 21 % here in this thread. My ''liberty'' is at risk if I cant have the gun I want. As many guns as I want? Comparison that suggests the PM's knowledge of guns and what should be banned is akin to forcing people to drink from the wrong kind of beer can? LMAO. And absolutely tragically so!

A gun registry is intrusive... 

Gun owners like such rules just like dogs like going to the vet.

image.png.5ad9285a7243aad8e61fcee8910d2729.png

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

image.png.76ca0330389d6ddc8a746ae2b00a8a30.png

We can already see the 21 % here in this thread. My ''liberty'' is at risk if I cant have the gun I want. As many guns as I want? Comparison that suggests the PM's knowledge of guns and what should be banned is akin to forcing people to drink from the wrong kind of beer can? LMAO. And absolutely tragically so!

A gun registry is intrusive... 

Gun owners like such rules just like dogs like going to the vet.

image.png.5ad9285a7243aad8e61fcee8910d2729.png

Hmm, I don't see anybody in here saying that assault rifles should be legal in Canada.

I own guns, but I don't think assault rifles should be legal.

• Upvote 1

I have had firearms long enough to go through the long gun registry and not. In fact my first firearm was a shotgun that had to be registered.

Wasn't a big deal, just more bookkeeping for the store. I had to wait 2 weeks to get approved for my first pistol. Ever since then it's been about a week or so. 

I'm down to two handguns a .22 LR, and a .357 Magnum revolver and a lever action .357. I have nothing to hide. Everything is locked and stored in accordance to the laws. 

Part of the reason I hate murderers, is not only the pain and suffering on the families and friends, the loss of a human life, and the damage to the community at large. But it also is a blow to the millions of us who obey the laws and follow the rules. The funny part is I never hear the first response is: We need more funding to law enforcement and first responders. We need to give them the tools to stop maniacs like this. And make sure if people are selling firearms to criminals they get severely punished. 

End of speech. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

6 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

God dam the lame ass arguments you gun nuts try and come up with is truly pitiful, it is along the lines as the people that protest social distancing.  You don't need to own a gun, period.    

Hunting is a perfectly legitimate reason to want to own a gun.

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure - right now there's no way of the RCMP knowing if a person goes out to 10 different Cabellas today and buys 20 shotguns. 

Now, it might be totally innocent, he might be buying for a gun club, or getting in on some sort of deal, who knows. But don't you think that the RCMP might want to be alerted to that kind of behaviour, e.g., if you were looking at domestic terror or if a person had other red flags?

I understand the PAL argument, its a bigger commitment than many places have. But its by no means a prevention method. Many men hit depression in their 50s, like the NS shooter. If you got your PAL in your 20s or 30s its useless for prevention in this case. 

IF the NS shooter had e.g., bought 4 or 5 guns or a lot of ammo leading up to this, it could have led to a deeper investigation of him. Maybe someone notices his fake RCMP decal and uniform purchases and puts 2 and 2 together.

What I'm talking about is a zero-burden use of purchasing information. I fail to see how that hurts you as a responsible gun owner.  

Tell me any other way we can track rare cases of multiple gun purchases thats less of a burden on you. 

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

OK so you've got some libertarian paranoia thing going on. Sorry, but thats not a reason to not try new prevention methods.

Tell me how you'd actually be materially effected by a purchasing database. 

If we had one back in 2001, the police would have known what the NS gunman had purchased and they would know what to collect from him when he was convicted. 

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I can't find anything to support that. All I was able to find is that fully automatic weapons are prohibited. I didn't think all AR type weapons were fully auto.:unsure:

The next category that I saw was "Restricted Weapons". http://www.firearmstraining.ca/classes.htm It seems to me that some of these would be targets of the porposed legislation, rather than the squirrel rifle.

If I'm mistaken about that, I'd welcome information that shows otherwise.

1 hour ago, greenbean said:

Hmm, I don't see anybody in here saying that assault rifles should be legal in Canada.

I own guns, but I don't think assault rifles should be legal.

Guns aren't exactly cheap. I'd doubt a nut job - plotting a mass killing spree - is going to Cabellas and dropping $10,000 on Shotguns. Or mostly anyone for that matter. 

If the government has a considerable vetting process & background checks with the issuing of gun licences, then that is kind of a prevention method by definition, is it not? (RPAL maybe more than PAL).

I'm not against the idea of a database in theory, but I do think it would be costly (more than perhaps some here assume) & I just doubt it would have any real effect in all honesty.

So, here's another thing; Say you get your database, then another incident happens, then what? That won't be the end of it, so what's the next measure after that? Basically: If a costly database comes in, it'll be satisfactory only until the next incident occurs, then people will be after gun owners again.

And as long as the government pushing the narratives & policies has no clue on the subject (which is evident) then it won't cease to be a politicized debate/issue. (as we'd all like).

I'm not a 'gun nut' either, I have both my PAL & RPAL (because it was a prerequisite to applying for CBSA, which I considered). I own 1 rifle for hunting, which I don't do anymore - (probably won't for awhile) - and I'm not much into just going shooting as a hobby.

If you want to further ban restrictied guns as @RUPERTKBD suggested, I wouldn't care much personally, as you already have to go through alot of trouble to own (and use) them as it is. I already don't view owning restricted guns as worthwhile. 

Last thing I'll add. @Jimmy McGill In that article it said he got a 9 month prohibition, after assaulting a boy outside his shop in a drunken rage. That's not good enough punishment, plain and simple. If something like that doesn't suspend your licence for much longer (perhaps entirely), then I agree we seriously need to review how pals are governed in relationship to previous criminal offences.

And stepping back from the gun issues, my god this just keeps getting worse. :( 

Brings me back to the same heartbreak as the Iran plane 'crash'. Its been a devastating year so far. Thinking of the people in Nova Scotia. God bless those affected & the broken families left behind. 

Its good this guy died ASAP before more damage was done, but its a shame he got the cowardly way out rather than facing some form of justice.... Though I suppose there's never justice for the families. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

God dam the lame ass arguments you gun nuts try and come up with is truly pitiful, it is along the lines as the people that protest social distancing.  You don't need to own a gun, period.    

Removing the firearms from society does nothing to curb the psycho/sociopaths.

Firearms are not the issue.

Period.

On the 

35 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

And stepping back from the gun issues, my god this just keeps getting worse. :( 

Brings me back to the same heartbreak as the Iran plane 'crash'. Its been a devastating year so far. Thinking of the people in Nova Scotia. God bless those affected & the broken families left behind. 

Its good this guy died ASAP before more damage was done, but its a shame he got the cowardly way out rather than facing some form of justice.... Though I suppose there's never justice for the families. 

On the same train of thought...I think now that forensics are in his house,they'll be able to establish a lot of what his mindset was days,if not weeks before this all unfolded,mostly through his onlnie activity.I just hope it's not collateral damage from this pandemic.

What a sad event to those folks...Stay strong Nova Scotia.

Edited by blaise
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, blaise said:

On the 

On the same train of thought...I think now that forensics are in his house,they'll be able to establish a lot of what his mindset was days,if not weeks before this all unfolded,mostly through his onlnie activity.I just hope it's not collateral damage from this pandemic.

What a sad event to those folks...Stay strong Nova Scotia.

I wonder if the reason he burned multiple properties is to destroy evidence? 

I wonder did any of his friends and family members find out about his police car? Wouldn't that have been a clue something wasn't wired right in the guys head? 

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

I wonder if the reason he burned multiple properties is to destroy evidence? 

I wonder did any of his friends and family members find out about his police car? Wouldn't that have been a clue something wasn't wired right in the guys head? 

The foresics is gonna be insane.We wont get answers for months.

• Like 1