The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nova Scotia shooter dead after killing 22 people/CDN Govt "assault style" weapons ban.

nuckin_futz

10 hours ago, BabychStache said:

I haven’t seen what types of weapons were used. Has anybody read that? 

Still can't find an article saying what it is as the RCMP has declined to comment on it.  

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yet yesterday they were talking about the gun ban without knowing what gun was used. 

Doesn't matter.

It's a gun.

Ban them all and everyone will be much safer.

"Never waste a good crisis."

/S

Edited by Lionized27
Sarcasm
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

Doesn't matter.

It's a gun.

Ban them all and everyone will be much safer.

"Never waste a good crisis."

So you want to punish millions of perfectly law abiding citizens because of some wacko who the RCMP can't confirm or deny if he had a PAL at all let alone the weapon used.  If it comes and out he doesn't have his PAL then he got his hands on an illegal gun, which 95% of crimes in Canada are from guns imported illegally from the USA anyways which makes the argument that guns should be banned even worse because these wackjobs are going to get a weapon regardless, whether its a gun, knife, vehicle, etc.

7 minutes ago, Russ said:

So you want to punish millions of perfectly law abiding citizens because of some wacko who the RCMP can't confirm or deny if he had a PAL at all let alone the weapon used.  If it comes and out he doesn't have his PAL then he got his hands on an illegal gun, which 95% of crimes in Canada are from guns imported illegally from the USA anyways which makes the argument that guns should be banned even worse because these wackjobs are going to get a weapon regardless, whether its a gun, knife, vehicle, etc.

I added the /S for those who didn't read my previous comment in this thread.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Still can't find an article saying what it is as the RCMP has declined to comment on it.  

The officer doing the briefing confirmed he didn't have a PAL (he said FAC but Canada hasn't issued F.A.C's in years so I'm assuming he's referring to the PAL) so however he obtained what he used it was 100% illegal.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Russ said:

Russ you're a smart guy I think quarantine is getting to you. Haha

6 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I saw somewhere that the shooter was convicted or charged with some sort of assault.

Wouldn't he be prohibited from owning a gun in Canada?

No.

It would certainly ensure it would be more difficult to obtain his PAL though.

10 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I saw somewhere that the shooter was convicted or charged with some sort of assault.

Wouldn't he be prohibited from owning a gun in Canada?

3 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

No.

It would certainly ensure it would be more difficult to obtain his PAL though.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Lionized answered it.

Actually the more I think about this if you're convicted of a violent crime it's pretty well impossible isn't it?

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Actually the more I think about this if you're convicted of a violent crime it's pretty well impossible isn't it?

Improbable but not impossible.

The RCMP does weigh the circumstances surrounding any criminal offense when doing their background checks.

• Thanks 1

@CBH1926

Authorized Possession

Eligibility to Hold Licences

General Rules

Marginal note:Public safety

• 5 (1) A person is not eligible to hold a licence if it is desirable, in the interests of the safety of that or any other person, that the person not possess a firearm, a cross-bow, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device, ammunition or prohibited ammunition.

• Marginal note:Criteria

(2) In determining whether a person is eligible to hold a licence under subsection (1), a chief firearms officer or, on a reference under section 74, a provincial court judge shall have regard to whether the person, within the previous five years,

• (a) has been convicted or discharged under section 730 of the Criminal Code of

• (i) an offence in the commission of which violence against another person was used, threatened or attempted,

• (ii) an offence under this Act or Part III of the Criminal Code,

• (iii) an offence under section 264 of the Criminal Code (criminal harassment),

• (iv) an offence relating to the contravention of subsection 5(1) or (2), 6(1) or (2) or 7(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, or

• (v) an offence relating to the contravention of subsection 9(1) or (2), 10(1) or (2), 11(1) or (2), 12(1), (4), (5), (6) or (7), 13(1) or 14(1) of the Cannabis Act;

• (b) has been treated for a mental illness, whether in a hospital, mental institute, psychiatric clinic or otherwise and whether or not the person was confined to such a hospital, institute or clinic, that was associated with violence or threatened or attempted violence on the part of the person against any person; or

• (c) has a history of behaviour that includes violence or threatened or attempted violence on the part of the person against any person.

• Marginal note:Exception

(3) Despite subsection (2), in determining whether a non-resident who is 18 years old or older and by or on behalf of whom an application is made for a 60-day licence authorizing the non-resident to possess non-restricted firearms is eligible to hold a licence under subsection (1), a chief firearms officer or, on a reference under section 74, a provincial court judge may but need not have regard to the criteria described in subsection (2).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Thanks, you're correct just read the fine print. 

Trust me, if an applicant has any kind of criminal record or has ever been arrested (not even charged with a crime) they should prepare for extreme scrutiny when applying for a PAL.

7 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

Trust me, if an applicant has any kind of criminal record or has ever been arrested (not even charged with a crime) they should prepare for extreme scrutiny when applying for a PAL.

I did know that. I can't remember all the ins and outs but I thought violent crimes were an immediate no go.