Sign in to follow this  
nuckin_futz

Nova Scotia shooter dead after killing 22 people/CDN Govt "assault style" weapons ban.

Posted (edited)

The news gets worse :( 

Edited by sonoman

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Gutted.  We may joke about this happening in the US on the regular.  But 13+ people in one shot here in Canada is unheard of.

It's not 'unheard of' (Polytechnique massacre), but I hear what you're saying - it's very, very, very rare and a tragedy regardless of precedent or not.   

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, sonoman said:

The news gets worse :( 

They said on the news they feared there were outlying areas/places he visited they were seeking confirmation of shootings for and that the number could climb :( 

16 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

It's not 'unheard of' (Polytechnique massacre), but I hear what you're saying - it's very, very, very rare and a tragedy regardless of precedent or not.   

Yes, I know you're right.  There's been a number in our past.  But this scale is almost unheard of in modern times really since Polytechnique.  It's just terrible really 

• Burr 1

I'm not religious, but I certainly hope this POS ends up in eternal damnation.  

RIP to the victims.  

• Hydration 2

Posted (edited)

Is this an act of terror?  Legitimate question.  Not trying to cause a debate at all.  Just wondering if this would qualify in peoples minds

Edited by Warhippy

20 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Is this an act of terror?  Legitimate question.  Not trying to cause a debate at all.  Just wondering if this would qualify in peoples minds

How can it be anything but? I can't classify this as "random". In a random act, someone snaps and creates as much havoc as possible. For example, they go into a McDonalds or a Wal-Mart and take out as many people as possible before they are stopped.

This guy acquired an RCMP uniform along with a makeshift police cruiser. Then traveled the province over multiple hours to go to multiple locations. Risking being stopped at anytime. If he wasn't taken out when he was he would have kept on going.

It was as premeditated as this type of violence gets.

• Hydration 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

How can it be anything but? I can't classify this as "random". In a random act, someone snaps and creates as much havoc as possible. For example, they go into a McDonalds or a Wal-Mart and take out as many people as possible before they are stopped.

This guy acquired an RCMP uniform along with a makeshift police cruiser. Then traveled the province over multiple hours to go to multiple locations. Risking being stopped at anytime. If he wasn't taken out when he was he would have kept on going.

I just read an article about this where one of the officers investigating was asked if they would consider this an act of terrorism.  I know there's been some ugly back and forth on that here but wanted to ask.  For the reasons you listed it appears it could be.  But dead men fear no earthly justice so....I don't think it matters

Edited by Warhippy

45 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Dressing up himself and his car as RCMP and killing people, yea I consider it an act of terror.

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Agree with the others. Yes this qualifies as terror.

9 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Doesn't a terrorist act have a underlying political basis? What I have heard is this individual initially killed people he knew and then went on to indiscriminate killing. I guess more info will tell the tale. I am assuming mental issues. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Is this an act of terror?  Legitimate question.  Just wondering if this would qualify in peoples minds

No, not to me.   Acts of terror  (terrorism) presumes violence or intimidating for the purpose of political or religious gain of some sort.  I see crazy, I see revenge perhaps,  I definitely see mental illness here, but I don't necessarily see terror specifically - but I respect that 'terror' is a fluid term in peoples minds these days so if someone wants to define this as such so be it - perhaps the subsequent investigation may reveal a specific motive which I have not read about yet?

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I'm going to say no......at least for now.

In my mind, an act of terror has an agenda behind it. Some kind of statement (usually political or religious) is being made. From what I can see (so far) is that this guy just went off.

That being said, if some kind of manifesto turns up, I'll change my assessment.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 1

It certainly is terror for the people going through it but I think governments and courts define terrorism differently. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

It certainly is terror for the people going through it but I think governments and courts define terrorism differently. 

Motive plays a part in that.  So while we all agree this is 100% terrorizing, I think the murders have to be done for a cause for it to be considered terrorism.  It being labelled a terrorist attack doesn't make it any more or less tragic, but it would be good to know if this was a terrorist attack because then there is the possibility that he was put up to it by something or some group.  And that you'd definitely want to know.

Edited by Wilbur
  • Hydration 1

What I have read (rumors) is that the guy's girlfriend/wife was cheating on him with a new boyfriend.  And they are listed among the dead.  So that can explain the motive.  After killing them, he probably went on a killing spree (going down in a blaze of glory). 

Some comments suggested that the only way to stop this is arming good guys to protect themselves.  I am willing to bet that prior to this supposed cheating that this guy was (from all appearances) a "good guy" who just lost it.  I do not want Canada to go down the American road of having the loosey goosey gun laws.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

What I have read (rumors) is that the guy's girlfriend/wife was cheating on him with a new boyfriend.  And they are listed among the dead.  So that can explain the motive.  After killing them, he probably went on a killing spree (going down in a blaze of glory). 

Some comments suggested that the only way to stop this is arming good guys to protect themselves.  I am willing to bet that prior to this supposed cheating that this guy was (from all appearances) a "good guy" who just lost it.  I do not want Canada to go down the American road of having the loosey goosey gun laws.

I for one never liked the good guy with a gun argument. 

People think they can shoot well but for the most part, an average Joe without extensive training has a horrible shot. Probably going to do more harm than good in situation of mass shooting. Also doesn't help when the police eventually come, they are not able to tell if one is a good guy with a gun, not like they would have a halo on top of their head. Just going to add more confusion to the situation and more than likely have a target on your back from the police. 

• Upvote 1