The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nova Scotia shooter dead after killing 22 people/CDN Govt "assault style" weapons ban.

nuckin_futz

10 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

It may have.  Though if the RCMP used the tools that the firearms act provided he should have had his firearms confiscated long before what happened.

No different than the Nova Scotia shooter.  There were multiple red flags that could have prevented this shooting.  The ban would not have stopped him.

Besides the point.  Stricter border control and harsher sentences for illegal use of a firearm should be the focus.  Not people like myself going to the range to fire off a few rounds.

Like always though, Government goes after low hanging fruit.  Time will tell.  Lets see if criminals choose to turn in their "prohibited" weapons to combat another failed Government project, the "drug" trade.

Perhaps they could legalize drugs like marijuana.  We all know how that made illegal marijuana disappear...

why not both? 

we live in a democracy, and the fact is gun owners and the gun lobby have done a pretty bad job convincing the average person that guns are necessary and/or safe. The arguments that are put out over and over like the false comparisons to other legal products or eye rolling meme's, etc. aren't helping you guys.

until the gun lobby takes the approach that it has to work with the rest of our society I think you'll see more and more gun restrictions in Canada. 

1 hour ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Seriously mate don’t bother going back and forth with Surrey. Let him lose his lid over ‘assault style’ weapons and lets go shoot a big ol buck. Who’s bringing the camera?

Yup, take your semi auto out from your basement once in a while.  Showing it off to family  and friends only, must get kind of boring.

Maybe there is a militia forming near your place you can join ?   

Edited by kingofsurrey

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why not both? 

we live in a democracy, and the fact is gun owners and the gun lobby have done a pretty bad job convincing the average person that guns are necessary and/or safe. The arguments that are put out over and over like the false comparisons to other legal products or eye rolling meme's, etc. aren't helping you guys.

until the gun lobby takes the approach that it has to work with the rest of our society I think you'll see more and more gun restrictions in Canada. 

One is more cost effective than the other, plus it's a fact that LAGO are not the one causing the majority of the issues.  

The pro-firearms organization can scream until it's blue in the face the actual facts, but when news outlets and anti-gunners twist and push narratives to manipulate your emotions, it'll always be a losing battle. 

Using scary terms like "Assault Weapons/Rifles", try to tie any firearms incident with what's happening in the USA, then throw in some political angle to this, etc.  Anyone with any knowledge of firearms and just a cognitive ability to see through the bull will know that firearms in Canada is not as big as a deal as some activitists are portraying it to be. 

Then they accuse anyone of supporting gun rights as "redneck hicks", "uneducated", "violent", "racists", "soldier wannabees", "right-wing extremists", etc.... and it's up to them to prove you otherwise.  

I, and other pro-guns, have thrown out tons and tons of numbers, facts, etc.... all more or less proving that anti-firearm activities are barking up the wrong trees... yet only rebuffed with "Oh yeah?  Why do you even need a gun?"  "Why don't you do something else instead?" and other similar questions.  Like somehow my business is somehow your business.  

It's a common enough tactic to always move the goalposts.  Anti goes off about how it's "only designed to kill", yet disregarding the many other products that only "designed to kill" like swords, bow&arrows, etc.  Then the goalposts moves again to "ability to cause more carnage".... yet vehicular homicide is easier and common enough.  Sometimes the goalposts get changed to "saving lives", but when it's a fact that most firearms death are actually suicides and any homicide are mostly from criminal activities with illegal guns.... then it's just "doing something for the sake of just wanting to do anything" or "please think about the children".

When the average number of firearm homicide is like 200 (mostly gang related), but mass shooting deaths is about 2.5 annually.... but anti-firearms activists wants to target the 2+ million licensed and vetted gun owners.  It's obvious this isn't about safety.... it's about control.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

21 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

One is more cost effective than the other, plus it's a fact that LAGO are not the one causing the majority of the issues.  

The pro-firearms organization can scream until it's blue in the face the actual facts, but when news outlets and anti-gunners twist and push narratives to manipulate your emotions, it'll always be a losing battle. 

Using scary terms like "Assault Weapons/Rifles", try to tie any firearms incident with what's happening in the USA, then throw in some political angle to this, etc.  Anyone with any knowledge of firearms and just a cognitive ability to see through the bull will know that firearms in Canada is not as big as a deal as some activitists are portraying it to be. 

Then they accuse anyone of supporting gun rights as "redneck hicks", "uneducated", "violent", "racists", "soldier wannabees", "right-wing extremists", etc.... and it's up to them to prove you otherwise.  

I, and other pro-guns, have thrown out tons and tons of numbers, facts, etc.... all more or less proving that anti-firearm activities are barking up the wrong trees... yet only rebuffed with "Oh yeah?  Why do you even need a gun?"  "Why don't you do something else instead?" and other similar questions.  Like somehow my business is somehow your business.  

It's a common enough tactic to always move the goalposts.  Anti goes off about how it's "only designed to kill", yet disregarding the many other products that only "designed to kill" like swords, bow&arrows, etc.  Then the goalposts moves again to "ability to cause more carnage".... yet vehicular homicide is easier and common enough.  Sometimes the goalposts get changed to "saving lives", but when it's a fact that most firearms death are actually suicides and any homicide are mostly from criminal activities with illegal guns.... then it's just "doing something for the sake of just wanting to do anything" or "please think about the children".

When the average number of firearm homicide is like 200 (mostly gang related), but mass shooting deaths is about 2.5 annually.... but anti-firearms activists wants to target the 2+ million licensed and vetted gun owners.  It's obvious this isn't about safety.... it's about control.  

bringing up "LAGO" all the time is part of the problem, its a silly argument. Almost everyone is law abiding, you're not special that way. 

I don't know what the perfect approach is but I do know the ones used to date are ineffective, and doubling down on them isn't going to help gun owners. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

bringing up "LAGO" all the time is part of the problem, its a silly argument. Almost everyone is law abiding, you're not special that way. 

I don't know what the perfect approach is but I do know the ones used to date are ineffective, and doubling down on them isn't going to help gun owners. 

Firearm owners has to get something back too.  So far it's just giving and giving.  Starting to feel like an abusive relationship.... 

8 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Firearm owners has to get something back too.  So far it's just giving and giving.  Starting to feel like an abusive relationship.... 

whether or not its fair, its how it is. The onus is on you guys to convince me that you should be able to own guns. 

What I'm saying is the approach and messaging so far have led to this debacle. Wouldn't you think a new approach is something to try?

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

This is why it's pointless. That is complete nonsense. Media and left wing governments are using data from the United States and people like you take it hook, line and sinker.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

whether or not its fair, its how it is. The onus is on you guys to convince me that you should be able to own guns. 

What I'm saying is the approach and messaging so far have led to this debacle. Wouldn't you think a new approach is something to try?

Considering there's licensing courses required, background checks, reference checks, storage laws, daily criminal records check, and strong laws (on the books at least)... seems pretty stringent already.  2+ million firearm license holders... but the majority of firearm crime are committed by those not licensed and mass shootings being the smallest fraction of overall (homicide) deaths in Canada.... the proof is already there, the numbers don't lie.  

Facts vs emotions... facts loses almost every single time.  When posts, tweets, articles, whatever can be thrown out with inaccurate information with no repercussion, there isn't anything else you can really do except to appeal to people's rational thinking. 

When newspapers keeps trotting out that people are being shot with "assault rifles"... are they just intentionally being misleading or just simply stupid?  If it's the former, what is their true purpose?  Police uses "carbines" but criminals has "military-style assault rifles"... even though it's just a regular hunting rifles that has a black colour scheme.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

This is why it's pointless. That is complete nonsense. Media and left wing governments are using data from the United States and people like you take it hook, line and sinker.

2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Considering there's licensing courses required, background checks, reference checks, storage laws, daily criminal records check, and strong laws (on the books at least)... seems pretty stringent already.  2+ million firearm license holders... but the majority of firearm crime are committed by those not licensed and mass shootings being the smallest fraction of overall (homicide) deaths in Canada.... the proof is already there, the numbers don't lie.  

Facts vs emotions... facts loses almost every single time.  When posts, tweets, articles, whatever can be thrown out with inaccurate information with no repercussion, there isn't anything else you can really do except to appeal to people's rational thinking. 

When newspapers keeps trotting out that people are being shot with "assault rifles"... are they just intentionally being misleading or just simply stupid?  If it's the former, what is their true purpose?  Police uses "carbines" but criminals has "military-style assault rifles"... even though it's just a regular hunting rifles that has a black colour scheme.  

people don't like to learn that they've been manipulated. That could be a place to start.

38 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

In my opinion if we had no access to American News this wouldn't even be a thing

part of this could be driven by the fact that most people don't want us to have US gun freedoms, and the accompanying problems. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

part of this could be driven by the fact that most people don't want us to have US gun freedoms, and the accompanying problems. 

Guns aren't the issue in the United States, people are. 

2 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

So it's my job to look up the source for your claim.   And what did he say and when did he say it.  Me thinks it has to do with the fact that politics is at play.  

I find it funny you're accidentally at odds with JT.

Edited by Ryan Strome

23 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't have to I just asked if you seen it.

How could he? The source is probably a place where the sun don't shine. You know, the place where Obama accused Hillary of election tampering. B)

Edited by Toews