The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nova Scotia shooter dead after killing 22 people/CDN Govt "assault style" weapons ban.

nuckin_futz

10 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think there's a reasonable discussion to be had about people owning these things in some way.... right now I'm more concerned about the lack of the RCMP to act, I don't know if they are really prohibited from investigating someone having a stockpile or if it was just a mistake. 

You can be sure if those firearms were legally owned the RCMP would've been at his door immediately.

Especially considering it was a domestic abuse complaint.

This should turn into a public enquiry.

6 hours ago, Lionized27 said:

You can be sure if those firearms were legally owned the RCMP would've been at his door immediately.

Especially considering it was a domestic abuse complaint.

This should turn into a public enquiry.

But apparently he was a legal gun owner with a PAL, why wasn't that enough? with no tracking we don't know what he had.

Someone really dropped the ball here imo, or there's a gaping hole in our system. 

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

But apparently he was a legal gun owner with a PAL, why wasn't that enough? with no tracking we don't know what he had.

Someone really dropped the ball here imo, or there's a gaping hole in our system. 

I'm reading he was not a PAL holder.

Just now, Lionized27 said:

I'm reading he was not a PAL holder.

huh, i saw a story where he was - we need to nail that one down. 

Theoretically if we're going to have PAL holders and not have a database, then having a PAL should then be sufficient for the RCMP to come and check what you own in cases like this where a complaint is made. That certainly seems fair to me. 

But I can't shake being disturbed by a credible person making a report about a gun cache and no one following up. That gives me chills. 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

huh, i saw a story where he was - we need to nail that one down. 

Theoretically if we're going to have PAL holders and not have a database, then having a PAL should then be sufficient for the RCMP to come and check what you own in cases like this where a complaint is made. That certainly seems fair to me. 

But I can't shake being disturbed by a credible person making a report about a gun cache and no one following up. That gives me chills. 

Holding a PAL gives the RCMP the right to check your criminal record daily. If a complaint such as domestic abuse is filed on a PAL holder, you can bet there's going to be a red flag.

I certainly agree the ball was dropped here considering the history/background of abuse.

19 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So it turn out the NS psycho and his guns were reported to the RCMP, but they claimed they couldn't do anything about it: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/mass-shooting-nova-scotia-firearms-gun-violence-1.5567330

I find this incredibly disturbing. If a credible person (part of the Canadian forces in fact) reports that a disturbed person has a gun stockpile "nothing can be done"? 

We're in more trouble than I thought. 

All the rules and laws in the world means nothing if no one enforces them or if the courts decides it's not worth prosecuting.  

Illegally possessing a weapon could easily mean a minimum of 2 years in prison.  

Hence push back by owners like myself.  The police and courts are more focused on prosecuting owners doing their best to remain in compliant than people outright flouting the laws.  

Kinda like how CRA will go all Armageddon on the small business owner saving a few extra bucks or the server not declaring part of their tips as income, more so than some really ultra rich 0.1% moving assets and outright scheming to commit tax evasion.  It's just easier for the courts/authorities to target those with the most to lose and with the least amount of defense.  

• Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

Holding a PAL gives the RCMP the right to check your criminal record daily. If a complaint such as domestic abuse is filed on a PAL holder, you can bet there's going to be a red flag.

I certainly agree the ball was dropped here considering the history/background of abuse.

thats how it seems. Angry guy beats his common law partner, shows off stash of guns to multiple people, and the RCMP say sorry there's nothing we can do. Holy $&!#. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lancaster said:

All the rules and laws in the world means nothing if no one enforces them or if the courts decides it's not worth prosecuting.  

Illegally possessing a weapon could easily mean a minimum of 2 years in prison.  

Hence push back by owners like myself.  The police and courts are more focused on prosecuting owners doing their best to remain in compliant than people outright flouting the laws.  

yeah I can see how this would frustrate you folks. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

The more I learn about this story it seems that the authorities really dropped the ball on this one.

it reminds me a little of something my wife and I experienced, not on the same scale obviously. When we first moved in together we were living in a townhouse complex and ended up beside an angry psycho guy. He was having a prolonged fight with the neighbour on the other side of him. One night we could hear him ranting and he said he was going to 'blow the guys head off'. I went to the community RCMP office near us and reported it, but tbh I have no idea if they ever did anything. 

2 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

The more I learn about this story it seems that the authorities really dropped the ball on this one.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it reminds me a little of something my wife and I experienced, not on the same scale obviously. When we first moved in together we were living in a townhouse complex and ended up beside an angry psycho guy. He was having a prolonged fight with the neighbour on the other side of him. One night we could hear him ranting and he said he was going to 'blow the guys head off'. I went to the community RCMP office near us and reported it, but tbh I have no idea if they ever did anything. 

Nova Scotia mass killer's semi-automatic guns believed to have come from U.S.

HALIFAX — The RCMP says three of the four semi-automatic weapons used by a gunman during last month’s mass shooting in Nova Scotia are believed to have come from the United States.

The federal force says in a news release today that only one of the guns could be traced back to a source in Canada.

The Mounties are still declining to reveal the brand or the calibre of the weapons – two handguns and two rifles – used during the April 18-19 rampage that killed 22 people in five communities around the province.

Gabriel Wortman, who police have said didn’t have a licence for the weapons

https://calgarysun.com/news/national/nova-scotia-mass-killers-semi-automatic-guns-believed-to-have-come-from-u-s/wcm/20ee14f5-0959-4f6e-92fb-34d063265c3f/amp

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Nova Scotia mass killer's semi-automatic guns believed to have come from U.S.

HALIFAX — The RCMP says three of the four semi-automatic weapons used by a gunman during last month’s mass shooting in Nova Scotia are believed to have come from the United States.

The federal force says in a news release today that only one of the guns could be traced back to a source in Canada.

The Mounties are still declining to reveal the brand or the calibre of the weapons – two handguns and two rifles – used during the April 18-19 rampage that killed 22 people in five communities around the province.

Gabriel Wortman, who police have said didn’t have a licence for the weapons

https://calgarysun.com/news/national/nova-scotia-mass-killers-semi-automatic-guns-believed-to-have-come-from-u-s/wcm/20ee14f5-0959-4f6e-92fb-34d063265c3f/amp

Still weird that they still haven't released the types of firearms used.  

There is a theory that one of the weapon may have been taken from the slain RCMP officer.  

I mean if 3/4 of the weapons were illegally obtained from the US, and the 4th weapon from a cop... it should be plain and simple that JT is just capitalizing on this tragic event to target the wrong group of people.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

Still weird that they still haven't released the types of firearms used.  

There is a theory that one of the weapon may have been taken from the slain RCMP officer.  

I mean if 3/4 of the weapons were illegally obtained from the US, and the 4th weapon from a cop... it should be plain and simple that JT is just capitalizing on this tragic event to target the wrong group of people.  

Right, and if that's the case it's utterly disgusting. 

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

it should be plain and simple that JT is just capitalizing on this tragic event to target the wrong group of people.  

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Right, and if that's the case it's utterly disgusting. 

but if he did this outside of an event like this, then wouldn't the gun lobby just say there's no reason for it? 

honestly what I'd love to see come out of all this (and its a pipe dream probably) is an all-party committee actually looking at a new system of smart regulation and enforcement. Actually get gun owners at the table, I bet that some of them have great ideas about how to reduce the illegal cross border market.

I'm tired of this being politicized, similar to how I'd like to see the military be run by a non-political committee. Assuming of course we can get our $&!# together before the Russian paratroopers arrive.   

Edited by Jimmy McGill