The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

25 mills shut down

RowdyCanuck

I've never understood why we don't incentivize our own industry more in BC. There should be things in place like faster approvals for building permits and far more use of things like 4 and now 6 storey wood frame buildings in BC. Our industry needs it, our renters need it, our kids need it for affordable homes. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Let me guess in small town BC logging towns?

good idea! 

I marvel at Canada's ability to shut down its own ability to earn sometimes. And yes that includes how AB is treated sometimes. 

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I've never understood why we don't incentivize our own industry more in BC. There should be things in place like faster approvals for building permits and far more use of things like 4 and now 6 storey wood frame buildings in BC. Our industry needs it, our renters need it, our kids need it for affordable homes. 

Part of the problem is the union too....in some ways when your paying someone big bucks to drive a fork lift like come on and radiam mill starting wage was 25 an hour but that was two years ago so I don't know now....

10 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Part of the problem is the union too....in some ways when your paying someone big bucks to drive a fork lift like come on and radiam mill starting wage was 25 an hour but that was two years ago so I don't know now....

Is 25 an hour big bucks...?  I think in Seattle starbucks a barista makes that.....

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't want us cutting down any trees, I want to import our lumber, chopping down trees is so bad for the environment. Leave those trees in the ground and retrain those mill workers into a minimum wage job.:gocan:

@Jimmy McGill @kingofsurrey

I was always led to believe the trees with all the tree planting are considered a renewable resource....   

Is it true that oil barrels have a negative value today.... Maybe i should pick up a few hundred barrels full of Alberta crude if i they will pay me 30 bucks a barrel to take it off their hands... I have some room in the back yard....  I know it is a pretty low quality oil but is it actually useful for anything now with world demand cratered ?  

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I was always led to believe the trees with all the tree planting are considered a renewable resource....   

Is it true that oil barrels have a negative value today.... Maybe i should pick up a few hundred barrels full of Alberta crude if i they will pay me 30 bucks a barrel to take it off their hands... I have some room in the back yard....  I know it is a pretty low quality oil but is it actually useful for anything now with world demand cratered ?  

I wonder if we still have to give Ottawa 20 billion?

42 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I wonder if we still have to give Ottawa 20 billion?

Nope.  2020 Alberta is a have not province and the rest of us are propping up Alberta sorry a........ss..........es......

Albertans are our next Newfies.....