The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your favorite Canucks game of the last decade? (2010-2020)

Rate this topic

Laheys Liquor

Hello everyone! 

Bored as can be (as im sure alot of you can relate) during this quarantine and was watching old games.. 

They bring back a great deal of nostalgia and love for this team.

My question is what your favorite game of the last decade is.. playoffs or regular season.. 

To start, here is my favorite game.. Game 2 in the WCF against SJ.. 

EDIT:

Saw some people posting about games from before 2010, and game's that they saw live, so I figured I'd update the Op and will add it to this discussion.. 

What was the first game, and the best game you've been to?

- The first game was in Tampa Bay in 2012. Was on vacation at the time, tickets were dirt cheap. Quite the game, that ended with us on top in the shoot-out. 

Highlights for anyone curious!

Best game attended - 

I've been blessed to go to 30+ games in the past 9 years.. alot of them were great games.. but it was an easy choice.. I picked because the whole game had a vibe to it - the next Vancouver super-star has arrived. You could feel the excitement, and the standing ovation gave me chills. I'm glad I was apart of it. 

What was the best game before 2010?

This one I am limited on, as I am born in the late 90's haha
 but the Dallas game 1, where Henrik scored is a classic to me

Edited by Laheys Liquor
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Would probably have to be Game 7 vs. Chicago in 2011.  Probably caused permanent damage to my heart and arteries but it was worth the pain and nail biting in the end.

It was the most stressful game and series for the Canucks ever. From the high after Game 3 to the feeling in the city after Game 6.. it was do or die for alot of Canucks coaching and management, players, etc.. 
That Luongo save on Sharp in OT, felt like it was going in 1000fps slow motion.. To lose from 3-0 up, It could of been a huge stain on our franchise... but it turned into one of our most memorable victories. 

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I loved game four of the SJ series in 2011 because we scored three goals in about 2 minutes, all on the PP and Salo in particular scored two bombs in almost identical fashion 16 seconds apart from each other.

That kind of PP punishment felt so satisfying.

I loved that game. Watching that live was nothing short of amazing. Miss Salo and his ability to just rip the puck into the right area. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I started watching and became a fan during the tail end of the west coast express days.

I think my favorite game out of all the games I've been able to watch since then would

have to be game 2 of the 2011 finals. Malhotra managed to return from a serious eye

injury and was greeted with a heart felt standing ovation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Started going grey that night.

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Would probably have to be Game 7 vs. Chicago in 2011.  Probably caused permanent damage to my heart and arteries but it was worth the pain and nail biting in the end.

Have to agree with this. Game 7 in 1994 against the Flames in the quarterfinals was an amazing game too and also could be #1. Both games were hard hitting affairs with overtime goals that none of us will forget.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, BowtieCanuck said:

Have to agree with this. Game 7 in 1994 against the Flames in the quarterfinals was an amazing game too and also could be #1. Both games were hard hitting affairs with overtime goals that none of us will forget.

Yeah there are some great ones if we go outside the scope of the original question (2010-2020).

Game 7 vs Calgary in 1994.  (games 5-7 were good)

Game 1 vs NYR in 1994.

Game 6 vs NYR in 1994.

McLean's 45 save shutout in Montreal in the 90s.

Game 1 vs NYI in the 1982 Final was good.

Game 7 vs Calgary in 1989.

Beating Calgary 11-0 in the regular season in the early 90s.

Patrik Sundstrom's 7 point game.

There was a game where Linden had 6 points.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah there are some great ones if we go outside the scope of the original question (2010-2020).

Game 7 vs Calgary in 1994.  (games 5-7 were good)

Game 1 vs NYR in 1994.

Game 6 vs NYR in 1994.

McLean's 45 save shutout in Montreal in the 90s.

Game 1 vs NYI in the 1982 Final was good.

Game 7 vs Calgary in 1989.

Beating Calgary 11-0 in the regular season in the early 90s.

Patrik Sundstrom's 7 point game.

There was a game where Linden had 6 points.

My bad. I forgot we were talking about the past decade. Too much partaking in todays festivities. ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Game 4 Vancouver Canucks vs los Angeles Kings quarter finals 2012 at the Staples center I was at that game while on vacation in Los Angeles.

For regular season.

Vancouver Canucks vs New York Rangers in Madison Square Garden January 2011 I attended that game while on holidays in NYC.

Edited by DontFearTheReaper
Post too long
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm an oldster and seen lotsa 'Nuck games on TV. I live on the island, so I've not seen many live games. That being said...........

.......Playoff games, most of 'em, get my attention. It's easy to get excited and charged up to route for our 'Nucks when they're in the playoffs. It's a given. 

2011's "Slay the Dragon," game 7 is right up there. But I'm gonna have to go for the Sedins last game in Vancouver. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Slay the dragon game for sure. 

Bieksa’s stanchion goal game also comes to mind but that win was the introduction and lead up to a very very painful memory. 

although the Blackhawks game was in the same year but it was a bit further removed from the pain so I would vote for dragon slayer game over sharks game 5 any day. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Probs the twins last game. I'll never forget the 2010/2011 run and I have several memories, but the twins retiring was the end of an era for me as a hockey fan. I would have been 10-14 when the WCE was at it's peak so I didn't get to enjoy that time the way some older fans probably did. Kesler, Burr, Juice, Luongo, Hansen, the team that rose after the WCE is the one I was watching when I really sunk my teeth into hockey and they'll always be special for me. 

We're fortunate to have had two pillars in the Sedins, I still think a lot of hockey fans (not necessarily here) don't appreciate just how talented they were on top of being wonderful people. Most teams have only had a few of those players ever, I'm glad I got to watch ours. 

Wild to think it's been two years now. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

The Slaying of the Dragon.  I believe it will be in history books somewhere.

And my own tale of how desperate I was to see it made it an event, not just a hockey game.  

Burrfect.

EDIT:  Oh damn, and then I see the one above ^^. 

That one (too).  I attended with my son and it was more than a game...it was an emotional night full of love and the atmosphere was electric and gives me goosebumps.  A celebration and the whole city was invited.  It was a beautiful thing.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Maybe Canucks vs Sharks, March 17, 2018.

As games go, it was nothing special.  Just another regular season game.  But it was a game my wife and I actually got to see in person.  Since moving home to Vancouver Island it has been really hard / expensive to go to games.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hmmm ... I can think of three off the top off my head ...

I was at this game, Nov. 2018, regular season, Avs vs. Canucks - Pettersson had 5-point night, Boeser had 4-points ... we beat Colorado 7-6 at home in OT. Will never forget that game. It felt like we had just won a playoff round it was so exciting. 

The Sedins final game was awesome and special. Loved that one as well.

The double OT win over the Sharks to advance to the SCF. That was such a great night for fans. 

I miss hockey! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

My mom actually almost checked herself in to the hospital for her heart that night.  Hours after the game was over, her heart was still pounding and she couldn't sleep.  She was legitimately getting concerned.   HAHA my poor mama!

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

#3: Game 4 of the WCQF 2010 vs. Kings: I felt the series was won in that game as the Canucks were actually down 2-1 in the series heading into game 4 and the Kings had all the momentum heading into the 3rd period leading by a goal. I think the Canucks didn't even get a lead until like really late in the game where Henrik scored with 3 minutes left and we won the game and eventually the series. The tide was turned in the 3rd period of game 4, if we lost game 4, I don't think we would've won the series.

#2: Stanchion Magic in Game 5 WCF in 2011 vs. Sharks. Very self explanatory, the Canucks are going to the Stanley Cup Final!

#1: WCQF Game 7 in 2011 vs. Blackhawks: Can't stand the Blackhawks at the time, and I would not have been able to take it if we lose to those guys 1 more time.

• Like 1