The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your favorite Canucks game of the last decade? (2010-2020)

Rate this topic

Laheys Liquor

10 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

#3: Game 4 of the WCQF 2010 vs. Kings: I felt the series was won in that game as the Canucks were actually down 2-1 in the series heading into game 4 and the Kings had all the momentum heading into the 3rd period leading by a goal. I think the Canucks didn't even get a lead until like really late in the game where Henrik scored with 3 minutes left and we won the game and eventually the series. The tide was turned in the 3rd period of game 4, if we lost game 4, I don't think we would've won the series.

#2: Stanchion Magic in Game 5 WCF in 2011 vs. Sharks. Very self explanatory, the Canucks are going to the Stanley Cup Final!

#1: WCQF Game 7 in 2011 vs. Blackhawks: Can't stand the Blackhawks at the time, and I would not have been able to take it if we lose to those guys 1 more time.

I still remember Henrik's celebration after that goal...he knew it was huge.

Edited by c00kies
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

#3: Game 4 of the WCQF 2010 vs. Kings: I felt the series was won in that game as the Canucks were actually down 2-1 in the series heading into game 4 and the Kings had all the momentum heading into the 3rd period leading by a goal. I think the Canucks didn't even get a lead until like really late in the game where Henrik scored with 3 minutes left and we won the game and eventually the series. The tide was turned in the 3rd period of game 4, if we lost game 4, I don't think we would've won the series.

#2: Stanchion Magic in Game 5 WCF in 2011 vs. Sharks. Very self explanatory, the Canucks are going to the Stanley Cup Final!

#1: WCQF Game 7 in 2011 vs. Blackhawks: Can't stand the Blackhawks at the time, and I would not have been able to take it if we lose to those guys 1 more time.

Come to think of it, game 5 of that series is up there with one of my favourites. Samuelsson scored on a couple of laser shots, Demitra scored using one of his vintage slap shots from off the left wing, and Rypien dislocated Clune's shoulder or something like that in a fight late in the 3rd period. We absolutely stomped the Kings that game.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Come to think of it, game 5 of that series is up there with one of my favourites. Samuelsson scored on a couple of laser shots, Demitra scored using one of his vintage slap shots from off the left wing, and Rypien dislocated Clune's shoulder or something like that in a fight late in the 3rd period. We absolutely stomped the Kings that game.

Yes, Game 5 was one of the most convicing ass kicking game I have watched the Canucks play. Love it that Doughty was absolutely livid in that series and he hated us ever since. I remember in Game 6 when the Canucks scored in the empty net to seal the deal, Doughty slams his stick in frustration. Love watching Doughty pouts like a cry baby.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baratheon said:

It's definitely not my favorite of the decade but what immediately came to mind was our home opener this year against the Kings.  If I'm not mistaken that's when LA lost to "a team like that" LOL

It was fun! 

I was at that game, and remember reading about his comments later and just laughing, and laughing. One of the best games I've ever attended. Normally I don't relish running the score up on teams, but to see it done against a team like LA, who I have always hated, was so joyful. The pregame ceremony naming Bo captain and seeing Hughes' first goal were both treats. Lots of great moments from that one.

Toffoli scored against us too. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Game 5 2nd OT Winner Series Clincher everyone was lost as to what happened to the puck except Bieksa who shot one home to clinch the series and move onto the finals!

Edited by Shekky
  • Like 1

Bieksa fighting Marleau in game 2 was the turning point in the series.  Both teams were neck in neck at that point in the game (and the series was also a lot closer then the outcome, in fact SJ was coming back in the series until Bieksa put them away for good in game 5)  and the play was very even.  Not only did he pummel Marleau (and if your interested the local SJ rag gives Marleau props for hanging in there with the bigger player....ha ha guess they do not look into that sort of thing)....but he also scored the game winner and made Eager go absolutely bonkers and laughed it off right there on the ice.  Was not the nail biter and cardiac arrest warning like game 7 against CHI - but it was fun to watch us beat the crap out of them on the ice and the scoreboard.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

I only saw the OT against Chicago in game 7, so I’m not sure I can call it my favourite game as I couldn’t watch it all (however I never cheered harder at a goal before!).

With that, I gotta go with San Jose/Vancouver game 5 in 2011. Sharks led through the third but I had a feeling that the Canucks would come back. When Kesler scored with 14 seconds left I lost my mind. I woke up my whole neighbor hood when the stanchion goal was scored. 

HM: Game 2 of that series when we scored like 5 PP goals and absolutely spanked the Sharks. 

Edited by HC20.0
  • Like 1

Saw some people posting about games from before 2010, and game's that they saw live, so I figured I'd update the Op and will add it to this discussion.. 

What was the first game, and the best game you've been to?

- The first game was in Tampa Bay in 2012. Was on vacation at the time, tickets were dirt cheap. Quite the game, that ended with us on top in the shoot-out. 

Highlights for anyone curious!

Best game attended - 

I've been blessed to go to 30+ games in the past 9 years.. alot of them were great games.. but it was an easy choice.. I picked because the whole game had a vibe to it - the next Vancouver super-star has arrived. You could feel the excitement, and the standing ovation gave me chills. I'm glad I was apart of it. 

What was the best game before 2010?

This one I am limited on, as I am born in the late 90's haha
 but the Dallas game 7, where Henrik scored is a classic to me

Best game I went to was Game 5 against Dallas in 1994.  It was the latest game you could buy tickets for on the day playoff tickets went on sale.  Nobody thought the Canucks were going anywhere and there was no lineup for tickets at all, so I got front row seats for the last available game.  Nobody cared about the second round because the Canucks had delivered a worse regular season than in 92 and 93, where they went out in the second round anyway.

By the time it was actually Game 5 in round two (after the comeback against Calgary), tickets were being scalped for huge markups but I wasn't letting mine go.

There was a guy in the stands wearing a Dallas stars jersey who basically looked like Russ Courtnall with a playoff beard.  He just sat there solemn and sad and a handful of Canucks fans went over to genuinely console him and congratulate the Stars on a good game.

• Like 4

Best game I went to actually came this past season. I went back to Alberta to visit my parents for Christmas, and took my Dad to the Canucks/Flames tilt on December 29th. We won 5-2 and the Canucks played a great game start to finish. 

HM: I went to Thatcher Demko’s first ever game in April(or March?) of 2018. It was my first live game in over a decade. Canucks won 5-4 in OT over Columbus. We gave up 3 goals in the last 3 minutes though aha.

i’ve only been to a total of 9 games so far, 8 of which came from 2018 onward after I moved to BC, so my selections are a little limited.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

First ever game attended:

November 13th, 2016 at Home vs. Dallas Stars:

Fantastic game for my first ever live game. I was planning on going, but wasn't 100% sure about it until literally the night before, bought the ticket on ticket master, and went on the Ferry next morning. It was a matinee game, so perfect for Islanders like me who can just make a day trip there and back without having to stay overnight. At the time, the Canucks have not beaten the Stars in their last 10 head to head match ups and they just got home from a pretty bad road trip. So I was just hoping that please don't get shut-out, I want to atleast stand up and cheer for a goal in my 1st game. Canucks was down 3-1 (Bo with the only Canucks goal thus far) heading into the third period and there was no indication at the time that they were going to win it. And then the Canucks made it 3-3 very early in the 3rd period with goals from Loui Eriksson (ya I know, and that's not the only time LE has scored a goal in a game I have attended) and Brandon Sutter. Then current Canuck but former Star, Antoine Roussel scored to make it 4-3 Stars and I was devastated. Burrows appeared to score a goal and it was waived off (I remember I was really mad about it). Then Tony Stretch with less than 2 min left, goalie pulled, scored the game tying goal! Granlund then won it for us in OT. On top of all the crazy back and forth event, there was also this Tryamkin hit on Benn. I remember it very well because I was in the opposite end of the rink, and still felt the impact of that hit. I also happened to sat next to Adam Cracknell's uncle (Cracknell was on the Stars by then) who also came to watch the game from Vancouver Island and had a nice chat with him throughout the game. Very good experience for my 1st NHL game live.

Favorite Game I attended live:

January 2nd, 2020 at Home vs. Chicago Blackhawks:

First ever game I attended between the Canucks and Blackhawks (also the only one thus far) and couldn't have been more fun and thrilling to watch. My hatred for the Blackhawks had died down a lot from the early 2010s, and both the Canucks and Blackhawks are very different teams than they were during those days. However, I still really wanted to watch a Canucks and Blackhawks game live because those rivalries were some of my earliest moments of fandom for the Canucks back in the early 2010s. So the prospect of finally seeing our boys take on guys like Toews, Kane and Keith (boooo) live got me really excited days before the event. The game it self was an absolute thriller. Back and forth action, with the Canucks being the winner by the score of 7-5. Super clutch time out by Travis Green when the Blackhawks had the 4-2 lead in the 2nd period, he was able to fire up the troops to tie the game before entering the 3rd period. I remember Kane scored to tie the game with about 6 minutes left because Hughes was interfered with and there was no penalty. But with 4 minutes left, it is our own #88 Adam Gaudette who gets the go ahead goal to put us back on top. Refs gave the Blackhawks a powerplay late in the third on a soft call and the crowd was not impressed with the call at all. Bo would score into the empty net to seal the deal with 9 seconds left in the game. I sat in a section where there was a Blackhawks fan who was super vocal and I counter back with my own chants to let them know which buidling they are in. It was so much fun to watch the new wave of high offense, entertaining to watch Canucks led by Horvat, Pettersson, Hughes, Miller and Boeser take it to our old foes in Toews, Kane and Keith. And yes, booing Duncan Keith all game was a very nice experience as well! 

Edited by ruilin96
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2020 at 8:50 PM, King Heffy said:

Started going grey that night.

Lol me too Heff... me too... The anxiety was greater for that game than game 7 of the Final. I re-watched this game a month ago or so and even knowing the result, I got flashbacks of the moment in 2011 and just started feeling anxious. Then I realized it's not live and I controlled it but for real... 

So blessed to have lived through that moment as a Canuck though. That team and Alex were the greatest ever. 

Had we blown that 3-0 lead we would have been the laughing stock of the century. That's why I think it was more important than the game 7 Fixed SCF 

• Like 1

Can we get some more +'s for the OP please?

I had completely forgot what an epic game game 2 vs the Sharks was. Thank you so much for sharing it... watched it today and really just made my day fantastic.

Ben Eager... lol! Cracked me up really hard when he's standing on top of Loui and taunting even after playing like trash all game

• Like 1

I can’t believe no one’s said Game Eight against the Bruins. It was a great game in its own right, but the implications felt huge. 

CoHo’s bar down slap shot behind Tim Thomas was so satisfying, and I truly believed that we’d be able to get back to the finals and win that time. 

• Like 1

Best game on TV - 2011 Burrows slaying the dragon. When Toews tied it up and sent it to OT, I smoked my first cigarette. Walked outside of the bar with a bunch of really stressed out fans like myself and some guy was like “you need one?” Im like yea i think I f***ing do

Best game live - 2018 Hank n Danks final home game. I was there at the game, 5 rows up from ice level at the hashmarks in Arizona’s end for overtime. Which was the craziest most unreal experience ever. Words cannot describe it. As my brother and I entered the building we saw the auction stand and just by chance, the craziest odds ever... we saw an autographed poster of Brock Boeser scoring a goal against the Blues and my brother and I were in the photo. Needless to say I bought it.

B3A0D0E1-BED4-4A24-9E0D-D8D7E5558464.jpeg.3a9ae263e039fba5c3cb3c13418d3d1e.jpegWe are wearing the white jerseys

Edited by knucklehead91
Spelling correction
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, The Game said:

I can’t believe no one’s said Game Eight against the Bruins. It was a great game in its own right, but the implications felt huge. 

CoHo’s bar down slap shot behind Tim Thomas was so satisfying, and I truly believed that we’d be able to get back to the finals and win that time. 

Thanks for sharing that, was a great game. Too bad Marchand had that scum-bag cheap shot on Salo. Forgot about that... :angry:

Also, we were on long PP's for a-lot of that video. Maybe if the refs in the finals had been tough on Boston like that night it would of been a different story... but i digress.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

Best game on TV - 2011 Burrows slaying the dragon. When Toews tied it up and sent it to OT, I smoked my first cigarette. Walked outside of the bar with a bunch of really stressed out fans like myself and some guy was like “you need one?” Im like yea i think I f***ing do

Best game live - 2018 Hank n Danks final home game. I was there at the game, 5 rows up from ice level at the hashmarks in Arizona’s end for overtime. Which was the craziest most unreal experience ever. Words cannot describe it. As my brother and I entered the building we saw the auction stand and just by chance, the craziest odds ever... we saw an autographed poster of Brock Boeser scoring a goal against the Blues and my brother and I were in the photo. Needless to say I bought it.

B3A0D0E1-BED4-4A24-9E0D-D8D7E5558464.jpeg.3a9ae263e039fba5c3cb3c13418d3d1e.jpegWe are wearing the white jerseys

I was there for  2nd  final game against Vegas I think, amazing atmosphere, I can only imagine what it was like during that game, and with such a perfect storyline as-well.

And the picture.. wow. That is legit amazing! 

Thanks for sharing :) 

• Like 1