The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stanley Cup 2020??

Rate this topic

I personally believe that we've already seen the last hockey games of the 2019/20 season, but if they (NHL & NHLPA) do decide to have some sort of playoffs and award the Stanley Cup for this season what do you think/propose it would/could look like?

My Proposal

The term 'unprecedented' has been used a lot recently to describe what the world's going through so I propose an unprecedented structure if play resumes for the playoffs. 

All games will be played in empty buildings because we shouldn't be having 19000 other folks gathering together right now.  Western Conference play their games in Denver, Eastern Conference play their games in Nashville, and the finals could be moved to a different location.  I was thinking either Chicago or Minnesota.  Each team 'qualifies' for the playoffs based on the current standings.  There wouldn't be any back to back games, and no team would have more than one day off between games until you get to the best of playoff series where one series might end up in a sweep and the other go the full allotment of games (keep reading).  The two conferences alternate days.  Maybe have revenue generated by pay per view buys from each teams fanbase?  This could be tracked by having a link to buy the game on each teams website, and even if your team gets eliminated a some point in the process you could still buy a view through your teams' site and they could get some money for it.  I think there would be a huge appetite from hockey fans everywhere to do this, and if the cost to view was low enough you could generate plenty of buys and there would be lots of money to go around....well at least more than there is now!

How It Would Work

In the Eastern Conference where there are 16 teams, have the bottom 3 teams battle it out to join the other 13 teams for the next round.  Have the bottom 2 teams (Ottawa and Detroit) play one game, that winner then plays New Jersey with the winner of that game moving on as the 14th seed in the next round.

In the Western Conference where we only have 15 teams have Los Angeles play San Jose with the winner of that game moving on as the 14th seed in the next round.

For the next round have a seeded (1vs14, 2vs13, 3vs12, etc) 2 game home and away playoff. 

After those games are over there will be 14 teams still playing (7 from each conference), and 17 teams eliminated.  Those 17 eliminated teams are then seeded according to their accumulated points as of the date the season was suspended, and become eligible for the draft lottery. 

The remaining 7 teams in each conference play a round robin tournament with the top 4 teams in each conference advancing.  Seed the teams based on the round robin play, and from here it will become a bit more of what we're used to seeing.  The remaining 4 teams from each conference play a best of 3 (1vs4 & 2vs3), then a best of 5 for the conference finals, and finally a best of 7 for the finals.  

I may have over-thought this a bit, but I'm bored and wanted to talk hockey instead of coronavirus!

As I said at the beginning I don't think we'll see any more hockey from this season. 

What do you think?  Any suggestions?

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

Maybe have revenue generated by pay per view buys from each teams fanbase? 

They already have existing TV deals.  Even with the current situation, I am pretty sure they cannot ignore those.  I'm confident it's those TV deals are the main reason the NHL hasn't just cancelled the playoffs altogether.

As for the playoff idea, I am not in favour of including every single team.  The regular season, although shortened, should count for more than just seeding.  At most, I would be in favour of a 20 team playoff.  Have a 4 team wildcard round in each conference to get back to 16 teams, then proceed with the standard bracket.  Maybe the early rounds could be shorter like best of 5.

Just my two cents.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

They already have existing TV deals.  Even with the current situation, I am pretty sure they cannot ignore those.  I'm confident it's those TV deals are the main reason the NHL hasn't just cancelled the playoffs altogether.

As for the playoff idea, I am not in favour of including every single team.  The regular season, although shortened, should count for more than just seeding.  At most, I would be in favour of a 20 team playoff.  Have a 4 team wildcard round in each conference to get back to 16 teams, then proceed with the standard bracket.  Maybe the early rounds could be shorter like best of 5.

Just my two cents.

Yeah I confess I don't know much about how the TV deal would work, but I would think that as this is unpredictable they might be happy to salvage some revenue? Again I'm sure it's more complicated than that. 

I included all the teams mostly to give the players a chance to get into game shape, and to give hockey fans more hockey to watch. It also gives bubble teams a chance to play their way in. As it is now the current seeding of teams isn't really fair to all teams because some teams just out of the playoffs haven't played as many games as those just above them. We all lost out on watching our teams play so this just gives everyone a chance.

My two cents.

Edited by Fan since 82

Honestly. We need to start thinking about if the season could even start in September. I'm thinking they will suspend the 20/21 season out of precaution to avoid a "second wave".

Don't hold your breath for hockey until 2021

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fan since 82 said:

I included all the teams mostly to give the players a chance to get into game shape, and to give hockey fans more hockey to watch. It also gives bubble teams a chance to play their way in. As it is now the current seeding of teams isn't really fair to all teams because some teams just out of the playoffs haven't played as many games as those just above them. We all lost out on watching our teams play so this just gives everyone a chance.

Except you went well beyond bubble teams.  The Red Wings had been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.  And Montreal, Buffalo, New Jersey, Ottawa and all of California were virtually a lock for missing the playoffs.  At most I would only include an extra two teams in each conference.  The only team that could cry 'unfair' would be Florida who are 1 pt back of the Rangers with a game in hand. 

16 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Honestly. We need to start thinking about if the season could even start in September. I'm thinking they will suspend the 20/21 season out of precaution to avoid a "second wave".

Totally agree, but there's not much else going on.  Talking about possible playoff scenarios, even if it's redundant, is better than many of the alternative threads.  I need some way to waste time when I should be working.  ::D

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Baer. said:

I think you're probably right, but IF there's something this year what do you think it should or could look like? Let's talk about hockey.

IF this season resumes this is what I think would be the cleanest way to do it.

WILD CARD: 2 wild card series in each conference which are best of 5. teams involved would be the 7-10 seeds in each conference after 68 games, the seeding would determine home ice advantage and match up (7vs10, 8vs9). The winners of the two 5 round series from each conference would then qualify for the 2 wild card spots and playoffs would start as per the normal structure.

PLAYOFFS: The winners of the two 5 round series from each conference would then qualify for the 2 wild card spots and playoffs would start as per the normal structure.

Trade implications - this would also determine the fate of "conditional picks". For example, let's say the Canucks lose the wild card series and consequently don't qualify for the playoffs. The Canucks would retain their 2020 1st rounder, have a lottery chance (as per normal odds), and forfeit the 2021 first rounder to TBay as part of the JT Miller trade.

IF playoffs aren't held and the season is cancelled then I think the NHL should do weighted lottery odds for the top 20 teams. Conditional picks are deferred.

Edited by I.Am.Ironman

I know every Canuck fan want us to win the *Asterisk Cup* so that Loui can retire a winner,

but I would go the other way.

In an unlikely best case senario, hockey restarts in a month, that is 2 -14 day cycles

training camp starts May 20 for 3 days

first game is Saturday, May 23 with StL in Colorado, one game to decide division champion

playoffs start in the East on Sunday May 24 and in the West Monday May 25

Division finals, top 2 teams in each division, best of 5

teams play every other night. games 5 on Sunday May 31 or Monday June 1

Round 2 - Conference finals start on June 2 and 3 (5 games) finish on June 10-11

Finals (7 games ) start June 13 end Saturday June 27 (if 7)

At this point in the standings no 3rd place team is within striking distance of the top 2 because of games in hand, so playoffs is top 2 in each division  

Colorado is the only team that could jump by winning a game in hand

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

IF this season resumes this is what I think would be the cleanest way to do it.

WILD CARD: 2 wild card series in each conference which are best of 5. teams involved would be the 7-10 seeds in each conference after 68 games, the seeding would determine home ice advantage and match up (7vs10, 8vs9). The winners of the two 5 round series from each conference would then qualify for the 2 wild card spots and playoffs would start as per the normal structure.

PLAYOFFS: The winners of the two 5 round series from each conference would then qualify for the 2 wild card spots and playoffs would start as per the normal structure.

Trade implications - this would also determine the fate of "conditional picks". For example, let's say the Canucks lose the wild card series and consequently don't qualify for the playoffs. The Canucks would retain their 2020 1st rounder, have a lottery chance (as per normal odds), and forfeit the 2021 first rounder to TBay as part of the JT Miller trade.

IF playoffs aren't held and the season is cancelled then I think the NHL should do weighted lottery odds for the top 20 teams. Conditional picks are deferred.

Nice. Re the conditional picks, don't the teams themselves decide if they want to defer their conditional?

1 minute ago, Fan since 82 said:

Nice. Re the conditional picks, don't the teams themselves decide if they want to defer their conditional?

Not in the case of the Canucks. The pick's condition is that if the Canucks qualify for the 2020 playoffs then TBAY gets our 2020 1st rounder, if we miss the 2020 playoffs TBAY gets our 2021 first rounder

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lmm said:

I know every Canuck fan want us to win the *Asterisk Cup* so that Loui can retire a winner,

In an unlikely best case senario, hockey restarts in a month, that is 2 -14 day cycles

first game is Saturday, May 23 with StL in Colorado, one game to decide division champion

Round 2 - Conference finals start on June 2 and 3 (5 games) finish on June 10-11

At this point in the standings no 3rd place team is within striking distance of the top 2 because of games in hand, so playoffs is top 2 in each division  

Short and sweet with no nonsense. Seems like a good way to do it.

I am unclear as to why so many people want to include more teams in the playoffs?

What players really want to get back in shape just to be eliminated a week later?

that just makes the Covid break that much harder for the majority who have no chance at winning anyway

40 minutes ago, lmm said:

I am unclear as to why so many people want to include more teams in the playoffs?

What players really want to get back in shape just to be eliminated a week later?

that just makes the Covid break that much harder for the majority who have no chance at winning anyway

For me just a chance to let the fans see more hockey. I wouldn't want it to happen at all at the expense of more Covid-19 transmission and more sickness and desth, but my op was really thinking everything was all good. Pie in the sky I know...

39 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

For me just a chance to let the fans see more hockey. I wouldn't want it to happen at all at the expense of more Covid-19 transmission and more sickness and desth, but my op was really thinking everything was all good. Pie in the sky I know...

I know we are talking pie in the sky, and I like pie.

BUt I just think its a lot to ask for players to get back in shape for a 2-3-4 game season then be out again

that is why I favour top 8ish teams straight to playoffs

Goldobin is one example of a player who has already mentally left the organization but Iam sure there are many guys who'se contrtacts are up, that are not looking to get hurt with nothing left to play for.

Leivo, Stetcher, Toffoli, Markstrom etc are guys looking for a new contract that could get injured and get really screwed financially 

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, lmm said:

I know we are talking pie in the sky, and I like pie.

BUt I just think its a lot to ask for players to get back in shape for a 2-3-4 game season then be out again

that is why I favour top 8ish teams straight to playoffs

Goldobin is one example of a player who has already mentally left the organization but Iam sure there are many guys who'se contrtacts are up, that are not looking to get hurt with nothing left to play for.

Leivo, Stetcher, Toffoli, Markstrom etc are guys looking for a new contract that could get injured and get really screwed financially 

Yeah good points. 

I'm very much against teams being added to the playoffs, teams jockey all year to get one of those sixteen spots. Playing more hockey than necessary at this point could endanger guys who are out of playing shape too, which could impact pending ufa's trying to find new teams. It's a lot to ask for guys who've been shut down for a month, even pros, to jump back in and immediately ramp things up to playoff intensity. 

The NHL playoffs are already a grind, and I'd rather not set a precedent of making it even more so. 

The reality is there's not going to be one solution to pleases everyone, if the season resumes the NHL's got tough choices to make. A rollback to a certain number of games played or going by point percentage seems likely if things resume. 

Edited by Coconuts

I'd think Vancouver / lower mainland would be an ideal place for the western conference teams. Canadian cities are in much better shape than a lot of American cities with respect to COVID, plus our weather is less humid / hot than a lot of US destinations, making it a bit easier to manage the ice conditions. 

9 hours ago, lmm said:

Imagine If we lost trying to win the Asterisk Cup.... like in the finals or something oh the uproar lol.

I'd rather just have this season scratched and focus on next year. 

• Huggy Bear 1