The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Werewolf! The Awakening (Game Over - Town Wins)

Rate this topic

Ceres

11 hours ago, naslund.is.king said:

1.Jazz (Aka, Ticktock)

2.Falcon(aka,the better dirty bird)

3. Nik(aka,god)

4.Qwags(aka, fart lord of the sith)

5.Kurisu(aka, champ)

6.Sharpshooter (aka, whiny B****)

7.Pig(aka,hoggers)

8.Lucky Lager(aka,$&!# beer)

@Blue Jay 22, @Master Radishes, @Aladeen...You beautys in????????

Questionable @mau5trap @GoCanucks16 @Time Lord

Thats all we got confirmed so far

giphy-23.gif.27114e3a4c09a76e395b74a1088bfe29.gif

@Alain VigneaultGet the thread up so we can spam the $&!# outa ppl

Put me down for questionable

• Cheers 1

don't sleep on SK, he's a strong opponent. believe i know jack, too, so tonystark will be decent based on what i remember. dame with VD though he was average, so not sure about his forums nom. obviously mu noms are good. zone q11 hopefully has improved since last we played

that's all i got for you

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1
Just now, hoggers said:

don't sleep on SK, he's a strong opponent. believe i know jack, too, so tonystark will be decent based on what i remember. dame with VD though he was average, so not sure about his forums nom. obviously mu noms are good. zone q11 hopefully has improved since last we played

that's all i got for you

Where did you play with SilverKeith?

Please stick around so we can send you next year.

13 minutes ago, hoggers said:

that's all i got for you

Yeah, SK was a finalist one year. Tony is quiet and it's easy to overlook him but he reads the game well. I don't know that he'll stand out much in this format, though.

I'm curious about Roundbox in that line-up. I don't know them at all, but his forum (FFR) has an excellent track record.

Then again, so do we. B)

3 minutes ago, Master Radishes said:

Yeah, SK was a finalist one year. Tony is quiet and it's easy to overlook him but he reads the game well. I don't know that he'll stand out much in this format, though.

I'm curious about Roundbox in that line-up. I don't know them at all, but his forum (FFR) has an excellent track record.

Then again, so do we. B)

oh he's from flash flash? me and you have varying opinions because they're very superficial and meta based over there. i've met a single good player from flash flash, and the rest could be considered okay. they're good at looking transparent town, though, i'll give them that.

20 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Where did you play with SilverKeith?

Please stick around so we can send you next year.

if i told you you'd be one step closer to me not being hoggers anymore :blush:

and i'll do my best. no promises lol

2 minutes ago, hoggers said:

if i told you you'd be one step closer to me not being hoggers anymore :blush:

and i'll do my best. no promises lol

Will we ever get to find out who you really are? lol

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Kurisu said:

Anyone know orangeandblack? Not in my game but he messaged me on discord for some reason lol

yea. started on tos, bounced around from mafiascum and mafiauniverse, plays for throne of lies now. he's an okay theorist and an improving player who's pretty into mafia but rarely has time to play.

also, small tip for your game. mafia champs have nothing to do with skill and everything to do with how you articulate yourself, how likeable you are, and your comfort level.

Edited by hoggers
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Charisma is a key factor for success over there. As well as conforming to the style that will necessarily be adopted in those games, for better or worse. 

Just now, Ceres said:

Charisma is a key factor for success over there. As well as conforming to the style that will necessarily be adopted in those games, for better or worse. 

if people like you you're likely to be voted through no matter how good you are. kind of ridiculous but that's how i remember it

5 minutes ago, hoggers said:

if people like you you're likely to be voted through no matter how good you are. kind of ridiculous but that's how i remember it

Yeah. I think people need to move past the notion that this tournament is the ultimate measure of skill. Because it's not even close. In my mind, it needs to be treated as a fun social tournament where all the communities come together to play Mafia with other dedicated players. Getting advancement votes shouldn't be taken so seriously. Anyway, there's no possible way to determine the "best players" in a couple games, where external factors outside their actual caliber of play are so abundant. 

1 hour ago, hoggers said:

oh he's from flash flash? me and you have varying opinions because they're very superficial and meta based over there. i've met a single good player from flash flash, and the rest could be considered okay. they're good at looking transparent town, though, i'll give them that.

What I meant was that their reps often go through to the finale. I don't know what the quality of play is like there, but it's clearly good enough for people who come from there to perform during Champs.

1 hour ago, hoggers said:

also, small tip for your game. mafia champs have nothing to do with skill and everything to do with how you articulate yourself, how likeable you are, and your comfort level.

55 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Yeah. I think people need to move past the notion that this tournament is the ultimate measure of skill. Because it's not even close. In my mind, it needs to be treated as a fun social tournament where all the communities come together to play Mafia with other dedicated players. Getting advancement votes shouldn't be taken so seriously. Anyway, there's no possible way to determine the "best players" in a couple games, where external factors outside their actual caliber of play are so abundant. 

Both agree and disagree with this line of convo. It's very much more of a social tournament than a true measure of skill. In any given year there are probably 60ish worthy of the 45 semifinal spots, and 30ish worth of the final 15 in the Finale, and 10ish who are clearly a head above the rest and maybe deserve to 'win' (I'm just making up numbers there to make a general point though). Luck comes into it too, of course - how roles are used, who you face and how they play, what faction you rand, etc.

That said, I'd disagree that it's only about how likeable you are, making yourself stand out, etc. It's certainly true that people hold an unconcious bias towards friends or those familiar to them, but there's been plenty of analysis of the last couple Champs tournies done that show jury selections and in-game voting and everything all tend to match up pretty evenly, i.e. people from a range of forums more or less agree on who deserves to advance.

I think how I'd see it is that if you have more 'skill' (however you want to measure that) than your competitors, you'll be recognised either by your peers or by the jury. If you're roughly on par with a couple others, and one or two of them are a bit louder or did a particular Notable Thing or whatever, then yeah, you may end up being the one to get overlooked. But I felt last year's jury did a really good job (based on the couple of games I paid attention to) and this year's jury is made up of a number of people whose judgement I respect. So I personally don't intend to worry about the fairness of it.