The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #34

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #34  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #34 Canuck of All-Time?

• B. Horvat
    • G. Odjick
    • T. Williams
    • C. Tanev
    • G. Butcher
    • D. Rota
    • D. Babych
    • J. Hansen
    • C. Fraser
    • D. Ververgaert

This poll is closed to new votes

51 minutes ago, apollo said:

Voted for Captain Bo Billionz

Nominating: SOLELY based on his illustrious Canucks career... 19th ALL TIME with 566 games played... 39th all time in points with 204, +14 career, 25th in GWGs, 8th in Shorthanded goals, 17th in PIMs with 625

Our 6th round pick in the 1997 NHL Entry draft... ladies and gentleman... "Mr Cashing In"... "Mr 5.7 Seconds to go"... "Mr Pitts Wouldn't Have Won The Cup Without Me" :P

Matt Cooke on arbitration awkwardness, hoping he'd be a Canuck ...The 101 Greatest Canucks: Matt Cooke polarized his coaches as much ...

Player Matt Cooke of the Vancouver Canucks. News Photo - Getty ImagesVancouver Canucks MATT COOKE Signed Autographed 8x10 Pic C | eBay

I'll be joining you in nominating Cooke pretty quick

His Canuck tenure is often overlooked because of what came later, though that's not to say he was squeaky clean here either

Times were different in the early/mind 2000's though 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'm going with Hansen next. Horvat will likely be the popular vote but I'll take Hansen's additonal 119 games plus his 64 playoff games over Horvat's extra 40 points and 6 playoff games. I'd take him over Tiger too as his tenure of 565 games and regular season production of 235 points easily outpace Tiger's 312 games and 165 points. Only place Tiger has the advantage as a Canucks is PIMS. 

If this poll were done a season later I'd likely have picked Horvat though. 

I'll ponder my nomination. 

Well, I don't know if that's entirely fair to Tiger.  He has the edge in things like All Star Games, seasons leading the Canucks in goals, etc.

Not to take anything away from the Honey Badger, but it's pretty easy to understate Tiger's accomplishments.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'll be joining you in nominating Cooke pretty quick

His Canuck tenure is often overlooked because of what came later, though that's not to say he was squeaky clean here either

Times were different in the early/mind 2000's though 

I was never a huge fan of Cooke, though I do have him very safely in my top 100 Canucks.  I do remember him coming through with a very clutch goal in the playoffs back around 2003/04 though, right when it was needed.  The kind of moment that wouldn't have been out of place on the resume of Linden or Ronning or Adams.

33 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Well, I don't know if that's entirely fair to Tiger.  He has the edge in things like All Star Games, seasons leading the Canucks in goals, etc.

Not to take anything away from the Honey Badger, but it's pretty easy to understate Tiger's accomplishments.

That's a fair rebuttal, but I still have Hansen edging him as a Canuck

If we were to took at their entire careers it'd be Tiger for me though 

30 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I was never a huge fan of Cooke, though I do have him very safely in my top 100 Canucks.  I do remember him coming through with a very clutch goal in the playoffs back around 2003/04 though, right when it was needed.  The kind of moment that wouldn't have been out of place on the resume of Linden or Ronning or Adams.

I have mixed feelings on him, but most of those stem from things that happened after his Canuck tenure 

He was a feisty part of those hard battling early 2000's teams 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I have mixed feelings on him, but most of those stem from things that happened after his Canuck tenure 

He was a feisty part of those hard battling early 2000's teams 

Some people seem to think Canucks Cooke and post-Canucks Cooke were two different things, but he was the same guy, just showing his tendencies at a 7.5/10 level instead of a 9.5/10.

If I remember right, his dirty play and never answering for it (and leaving his teammates to do so) was a real issue when he was in Vancouver, to the point where players were getting asked about it by reporters.  They would just kind of grumble and say next question or I don't want to talk about it.

I personally have Cooke in the 60s on my list, but I have been thinking things over throughout the process of doing this list and I have loved hearing others' perspectives. I think I may re-do my list at some point and change some things, particularly in the ranks below 20th, where things get very close and the differences between players become fairly minor.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Some people seem to think Canucks Cooke and post-Canucks Cooke were two different things, but he was the same guy, just showing his tendencies at a 7.5/10 level instead of a 9.5/10.

If I remember right, his dirty play and never answering for it (and leaving his teammates to do so) was a real issue when he was in Vancouver, to the point where players were getting asked about it by reporters.  They would just kind of grumble and say next question or I don't want to talk about it.

He wasn't squeaky clean here either, that's something I won't argue 

Voted Butcher

Nominating Rimothy Jimothy Chumburger

Also, Bo is getting in waaaaay too early. There's a tad too much modern homerism on this list.

Also, I actually nominate Jeff Brown. People here don't seem to remember who kept dishing Bure all those sweet passes in 94

Edited by 5Fivehole0
  • Cheers 1

Just now, 5Fivehole0 said:

Voted Butcher

Nominating Rimothy Jimothy Umburger

Also, Bo is getting in waaaaay too early. There's a tad too much modern homerism on this list.

Also, I actually nominate Jeff Brown. People here don't seem to remember who kept dishing Bure all those sweet passes in 94

Jeff Brown the scurvy dog?

Yeah, he was a very gifted offensive defenseman, but I have him behind Paul Reinhart, here for just a tad longer and who played just a bit better.

I think Bo is getting in a little early myself - he definitely shouldn't be IN before Chris Oddleifson is even available for voting.  But I do have him in the 40s so he's not jumping the line by all that much I guess.  As much as I respect Sami Salo, top 20 was scooting ahead of quite a few people.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Jeff Brown the scurvy dog?

Yeah, he was a very gifted offensive defenseman, but I have him behind Paul Reinhart, here for just a tad longer and who played just a bit better.

I think Bo is getting in a little early myself - he definitely shouldn't be IN before Chris Oddleifson is even available for voting.  But I do have him in the 40s so he's not jumping the line by all that much I guess.  As much as I respect Sami Salo, top 20 was scooting ahead of quite a few people.

Ooo, I forgot about Reinhart. And yea Salo, and Burrows are too high

Just now, 5Fivehole0 said:

Ooo, I forgot about Reinhart. And yea Salo, and Burrows are too high

I get why some would rank him lower, depending on the criteria, but Burrows I'm good with.  7th all time in games (left the team as 6th), 9th in goals, 7th in PIMs, a Cup Final run and an iconic moment.

I think people are undervaluing iconic big-time moments a little bit.

There aren't a lot of moments I would consider making a statue of around the arena.  But Burrows is on the short list...

Offhand the things that would qualify in my mind as potential statue-worthy moments...

- Roger Nielsen waving the towel, to which Tiger Williams and Stan Smyl could have been added

- Bure scoring on Vernon in Game 7 of 94

- Linden putting Norton through the glass

- McLean's save on Reichel in 1994

- Linden and McLean hugging after Game 6 of the 1994 Final

- Ronning riding his stick

- Tiger riding his stick

- Gino down to his t-shirt and shoulder pads ready to take on all of the St. Louis Blues

- Burrows catching the puck at the blueline against Chicago in Game 7 OT...  Or using his stick as a bow and arrow

That's about it off the top of my head in a minute or two anyway.

And that's the kind of thing that best captures "greatness" if you look beyond the numbers, in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

when tiger came to the canucks, he brought with him, the heart and skill to do whatever it took to win. in some regards, he brought much the same qualities as j.t. miller. he was part of the great line with lanny macdonald and darryl sittler. while not as skilled as those two, his feisty still helped them be their best. he could still pop 30 goals a season, while leading the team in penalties. his penalties were not lazy ones but from playing tough on his line. i like comparing him in part to miller and horvat.  he was a hound dog.

14 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

when tiger came to the canucks, he brought with him, the heart and skill to do whatever it took to win. in some regards, he brought much the same qualities as j.t. miller. he was part of the great line with lanny macdonald and darryl sittler. while not as skilled as those two, his feisty still helped them be their best. he could still pop 30 goals a season, while leading the team in penalties. his penalties were not lazy ones but from playing tough on his line. i like comparing him in part to miller and horvat.  he was a hound dog.

Heh, to me he was like Stan Smyl, just insane.

Voted Babych....although can see how this list is now getting split up...Horvat - a little early...Nominate Oddliefson...although like any Smith, Lanz or McCarthy ones.. Murzyn is another name that should be up soon too - just as important to the Linden teams as Tanev is and was to this team - with the 94 run in his prime....as for the recent Cooke nominations - i said when we started this that he would come up before other more deserving names - kudos on the CDC waiting as long as they did.   Dont mind that he will probably get in but only if its Aucion that sits out ha ha....

Edited by IBatch

Okay friends I need to ask the question... Is hockey about entertainment?

Well it is for me and therefore I am voting for the most entertaining Canuck left on the list Gino Odjick. Seriously every time he played you just didn't know what might happen. 

When something big did happen it was colossal. Like this!!!!

Gino is a very special part of the Canucks story and its certainly time to add him to this list.

I nominate Dan Hamhuis

• Like 2