The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #34

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #34  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #34 Canuck of All-Time?

• B. Horvat
    • G. Odjick
    • T. Williams
    • C. Tanev
    • G. Butcher
    • D. Rota
    • D. Babych
    • J. Hansen
    • C. Fraser
    • D. Ververgaert

This poll is closed to new votes

33 minutes ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

Okay friends I need to ask the question... Is hockey about entertainment?

Well it is for me and therefore I am voting for the most entertaining Canuck left on the list Gino Odjick. Seriously every time he played you just didn't know what might happen.

Even more than entertainment, my kind of hockey is about heart and passion.

And you can't find a much better ambassador for those two things than Gino Odjick.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

imo, now we should be looking at what they brought to the team. i remember when smyl’s jersey was retired and raise to the rafters, some fans were claiming that he shouldn’t be there because we never won a cup. most never saw him play. stan was mr. hockey for years here, much like linden was. stan held most records for the team. not big in stature but huge in heart and soul. he would not only do what it took to win but if he couldn’t go around a player, he went through him. when you look for the perfect qualities in a team leader, he had most of them. if he was taller and could skate like hughes he would probably be in the hall of fame. i think he is under rated by fans who never saw him play.

I'd go one further and say that Stan, just as he was, might well be in the Hall of Fame if he had been on the Islanders or Oilers instead of the Canucks.  I think he'd have scored 100 points a couple of times and quite possibly have worked his way into the HOF like Clark Gillies or Glenn Anderson.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'm going with Hansen next. Horvat will likely be the popular vote but I'll take Hansen's additonal 119 games plus his 64 playoff games over Horvat's extra 40 points and 6 playoff games. I'd take him over Tiger too as his tenure of 565 games and regular season production of 235 points easily outpace Tiger's 312 games and 165 points. Only place Tiger has the advantage as a Canucks is PIMS. 

If this poll were done a season later I'd likely have picked Horvat though. 

I'll ponder my nomination. 

Hmmm...Hansen was a great Canuck no doubt -  I agree he is a solid vote and has a good case to go in before Horvat- a tad early maybe but solid.  That said have to agree with Biestra on Tiger - he was a compliment to a scoring line while he was here - led the team in goals one year and big part of a run to the final...and iconic moments.  Hansen was a long serving middle six forward games played is what gets him into the top fifty more then anything, 2011 helps too

.. Babych is one of our top scoring playoff defenseman and has one vote ... played from 91-98...Muryzn did everything Tanev has done for this team - and played from 91-99 and both these guys were part of the 94 run..The advantage these and others still on the list over Horvat and Tanev is meaningful playoff moments.  Hansen before Horvat is fine because of that - but his high water mark was one season of 22 goals and 38 points..not exactly comparable to a lot of other players still on the list and some that you cant even vote for such as the original Horvat in Oddleifson,  Rick Lanz and McCarthy on defense.  I have Hansen in the late 40s myself - same with Tanev, Horvat around 39-40.    Tiger played the game with a fierce all-out gusto - and fought some of the all-time leagues toughest men on a regular basis...and then scored on them too.   His time with us was relatively short - but the impact was a lasting one..doubt any future Coach or GM will be looking to retire Hansens number...where Pat Quin tried to do just that with Tigers - he definitely understood his value and what sort of lasting impact he made on the team.

Edit:  Hansen played for us for a long time and recent is hard not to forget...however I would make a case for a guy like Momesso - a hard hitting punch you in the face - protector of Ronning that could chip in his fair share of offense when you start to look at the better middle six players we have had .... sorry Cook despite some nice moments I would have Momesso before you - Hansen wins out because of time served but if all things were equal a lot of other guys would deserve consideration of course...and Momesso is near the top of the list for best middle six players we have every had..tough as nails - cool name - mean mug the works.   Point is - you have to look hard at the all-time list.  One thing Momesso did for me was help build the momentum of the CAL-VAN rivarly that was amping up when he arrived....Courtnall too...he had a mouth on him...what a great trade.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, smithers joe said:

when tiger came to the canucks, he brought with him, the heart and skill to do whatever it took to win. in some regards, he brought much the same qualities as j.t. miller. he was part of the great line with lanny macdonald and darryl sittler. while not as skilled as those two, his feisty still helped them be their best. he could still pop 30 goals a season, while leading the team in penalties. his penalties were not lazy ones but from playing tough on his line. i like comparing him in part to miller and horvat.  he was a hound dog.

I actually live with Tigers best friends son. Unfortunately his Dad passed at 52

41 minutes ago, rychicken said:

Hi, have been away from the board, hope I can join in for the remaining selections!! 
Hope everyone is well

Vote: Rota
Nominate: Ron Sedlbauer

Welcome back! As long as you're agreeing with me, you're welcome to stay :P

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Hmmm...Hansen was a great Canuck no doubt -  I agree he is a solid vote and has a good case to go in before Horvat- a tad early maybe but solid.  That said have to agree with Biestra on Tiger - he was a compliment to a scoring line while he was here - led the team in goals one year and big part of a run to the final...and iconic moments.  Hansen was a long serving middle six forward games played is what gets him into the top fifty more then anything, 2011 helps too

.. Babych is one of our top scoring playoff defenseman and has one vote ... played from 91-98...Muryzn did everything Tanev has done for this team - and played from 91-99 and both these guys were part of the 94 run..The advantage these and others still on the list over Horvat and Tanev is meaningful playoff moments.  Hansen before Horvat is fine because of that - but his high water mark was one season of 22 goals and 38 points..not exactly comparable to a lot of other players still on the list and some that you cant even vote for such as the original Horvat in Oddleifson,  Rick Lanz and McCarthy on defense.  I have Hansen in the late 40s myself - same with Tanev, Horvat around 39-40.    Tiger played the game with a fierce all-out gusto - and fought some of the all-time leagues toughest men on a regular basis...and then scored on them too.   His time with us was relatively short - but the impact was a lasting one..doubt any future Coach or GM will be looking to retire Hansens number...where Pat Quin tried to do just that with Tigers - he definitely understood his value and what sort of lasting impact he made on the team.

I voted Hansen over Rota (my next choice) because he was here 10 years (8 full seasons), had a big heart and gave it his all for this team. And he was a 9th round pick - 287th overall! And he was only the 3rd Dane to make the NHL when he started, behind Frans Neilsen and Lars Eller. He is also the 5th highest scoring Dane in NHL history. 

Someone nominated Kevin McCarthy, he was only here 4.5 seasons, but high scoring solid d-man who was also our Captain for three seasons preceding Stan Smyl. I'll go along with that nomination.

• Cheers 3

39 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

I voted Hansen over Rota (my next choice) because he was here 10 years (8 full seasons), had a big heart and gave it his all for this team. And he was a 9th round pick - 287th overall! And he was only the 3rd Dane to make the NHL when he started, behind Frans Neilsen and Lars Eller. He is also the 5th highest scoring Dane in NHL history. 

Someone nominated Kevin McCarthy, he was only here 4.5 seasons, but high scoring solid d-man who was also our Captain for three seasons preceding Stan Smyl. I'll go along with that nomination.

That's cool - to each his own.  I went with Babcyh, played for 7 seasons (including the half season otherwise more games played)  and manned a great second pairing with Diduck for us during the peak Linden years...also one of our top four scorers when "Hudson Bay rules" came out in the playoffs during that era of hockey....averaging around .5PPG when it really mattered...to me that matters more then where you came from or what round you were drafted in (he was a second overall I believe - and didn't dissapoint).  First in mustache rankings too ha ha...a top 2-3 defenseman is a better postion then a middle six forward...when he came here he was used primarily as a defensive defenseman too - posting pretty good numbers for that sort of job - especially come playoff time.  First in bench press and squats all-time.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

Okay friends I need to ask the question... Is hockey about entertainment?

Well it is for me and therefore I am voting for the most entertaining Canuck left on the list Gino Odjick. Seriously every time he played you just didn't know what might happen. 

When something big did happen it was colossal. Like this!!!!

Gino is a very special part of the Canucks story and its certainly time to add him to this list.

I nominate Dan Hamhuis

Absolutely loved the Gino clip... Just sent it to a bunch of friends too!

Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna peg Gino at 37th (36th being Hansen)... just based on games played / points... but wow what a legendary character.

That all being said, this style of play he was encouraged to play, certainly didn't help his mental health long term. Truly a legend though. Forever a Canuck.

• -AJ- locked this topic