The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Draft to remain in June (Proposed)

Rate this topic

aGENT

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

... because it is the only way they don't have to return half of the money they were paid this year.  Escrow is a function of the revenue, a large chunk of the revenue comes from the playoffs. not to mention almost 200 missed regular season games.  The players portion of that missed revenue is around $550 million dollars.

This is an inconsequential issue as the NHLPA as the bargaining agent will look after the most players it can, and that means extending all contracts so they don't expire before a playoffs would happen.  There simply isn't another option aside from foregoing the playoffs at all... and that isn't good for any of their players including the ones who are on expiring contracts.

I get all of the reasons why the league and players want to complete the season/playoffs from an escrow perspective. That still would not change my mind to walk away July 1st as my priority, as a UFA, is to secure a job going forward to provide for my family (just my opinion). Playoff hockey is the most intense, physically draining hockey you can play and injuries are far more prevalent under those conditions. Combine that with a shorter off season before the next season starts and UFA's would be taking a huge risk in securing a new contract. Also, if you can get a head start in your search for a job ahead of those expiring contracts still playing, it would put you on a competitive level with the non-playoff expiring contracts seeking employment.

The players are going to suffer money wise no matter what and it is just a question of by how much. Playoff revenues are not going to be there as fans are not going to be there (unless there is an immediate miraculous vaccine for covid 19). ..

52 minutes ago, Provost said:

I can't see how a draft before playoffs could possibly work... it would introduce too many opportunities for things to go badly, compared with gaining very little on the positive side.

You have to decide if it is pure points percentage (likely) or broken up by conference or division.  it doesn't give you the same standings, there could be teams eligible for the playoffs who also get lottery picks because of how unbalanced the divisions and conferences are.  Conversely a team could be out of the playoffs AND not get a lottery pick out of it.

If they get in some more regular season games, then a team could literally win the lottery and then also win the Cup.  A team could completely miss the playoffs and also get a much lower pick than they would have otherwise.

If they don't get regular season games but have some sort of play in for the bubble teams, quite a few teams could get a lottery pick and also be in the playoffs.  Same as teams could get neither a playoff opportunity NOR a lottery pick.

That is completely ignoring the one off issues like how would our pick work?  We are technically in the playoffs within our conference based on points percentage.  Are we one of the top 16 teams based on a league-wide format though?  I think we end up either 16th or 17th since most of the teams below us are in the West, and there are teams in the East that are out of the playoffs but ahead of us in points percentage.  Do we end up giving our 1st round pick this year or next?

Then there is the whole issue of entirely removing the ability to trade players or picks.  You can't do it if they haven't cancelled even the opportunity for the playoffs.  You can't trade away a roster player and take a pick back, or the reverse.  Teams can't lose players when they are facing a possible playoff run and not be able to replace them.

On the upside, there is little benefit to holding an early draft.  You get a little exposure and good news for a few days hyping it up, and kids will know if and where they got drafted, that is about it really.

There is no reason to do it, and they have plenty of time to figure out if they will be able to hold playoffs.  They would need to know by end of May certainly whether they can go ahead with some format.  They need to arrange to bring players back from all over the world with limited flights running, quarantine them all onsite for two weeks (even from each other), then start some sort of training camp, and then hold the games/playoffs by early July.  If they don't know they can do that by the end of May, they are going to have to cancel the playoffs and will have plenty of time to arrange a draft and offseason schedule.  Until that point, it is just a no-go for too many reasons.

All very valid points.

I agree that there is no reason not to delay the draft and that has happened before, most recently in 2005. The draft was held on July 30th that year after a new CBA was agreed to following the 2004/05 lockout season. If they are unable to get the season and playoffs in this year, I suspect they will use the precedent they made in 2005 for determining the draft order.

Teams were weighted based on playoff appearances in the last three completed seasons (2001-02, 02-03 and 03-04), and first overall picks in the last four drafts (2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004). Three lottery balls each were assigned to teams which had not qualified for any of those playoffs and received no first overall picks in that period. Teams which had one playoff appearance or first overall pick in those years were given two lottery balls. All other teams received one lottery ball.[1]

Three balls

Two balls

One ball

Edited by Rick Blight

As @Tre Mac said it's ridiculous that the NHL is somehow still hopefull that they can resume this season.  

The writing's been on the wall for over a month now that there's no coming back this year.  They would have to test a minimum of 50 people for each game and right now tests aren't readily available for people who need it more.  It would be quite a black mark on the league if they pushed forward with the season.  

As far as our pick, we are giving it up most likely.  I don't see how you can calculate the draft position by anything else other then winning percentage, and ranking teams 1 through 8 in their own conference.  Looks like we'll be giving up the 17th overall pick to Tampa who then sent it to New Jersey Devils.  

17th overall for JT Miller and a few other throwins is a trade I'd do any time!  So happy to have JT here :) 

who the F thought of doing the draft before seasons closes. It makes no sense. If this draft does happen than all drafts after this should be in February it follows the same logic.

have the draft when season is officially done. What’s the difference when they Draft. The draft kids still go to their jr teams after the draft. 

Having the draft with possibility of a  continued season is just stupid. GMs need to trade players at the draft with no attachments to players playing in that season.

Edited by HockeyHarry

It appears as if the league is really pushing this against the wishes of most of the teams.  The word also is that they are going into prep mode for some sort of playoff really soon.

I don't know how you do this unless you open up the trade deadline again to allow teams to make trades including picks and roster players before the season opens up again... and that is also dumb because it is trying to put a bandaid on a dumb plan.

One or the other:

Resume the season, play some sort of games/playoffs, award the cup, draft then free agency.

Cancel the season officially, and then just head straight to draft and free agency while coming up with some sort of plans to recuperate the loss of the buyers at this year's TDL.

24 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I thought we decide whether we keep the pick or not, playoffs or not, 

From what I know, if we make the playoffs, the pick is certainly theirs and certainly ours if we miss it. I don't believe there's any decisions to be made after the fact.

On 4/28/2020 at 11:48 PM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I thought we decide whether we keep the pick or not, playoffs or not, 

Nope. There is no decision involved.  The condition on the trade is Tampa gets Vancouvers pick this year if the Canucks make the playoffs.  If they miss the playoffs this year the pick  is deferred to next season with no protection 

Edited by qwijibo

Will the Canucks retain their 1st round pick if the NHL Entry Draft occurs in June?

https://flip.it/ylvwS4

So, Daly's proposal could see the Canucks in 17th position, so a lottery, but in 15th with only the possibility to move up to 11th at best? If playoffs happen, tho, we'd be in. 

With Miller, we'd have 7 days to work out a mutually agreed upon deal, or take the NHL's "suggestion", if we can't work it out. 

Interesting read and proposals.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Will the Canucks retain their 1st round pick if the NHL Entry Draft occurs in June?

So, Daly's proposal could see the Canucks in 17th position, so a lottery, but in 15th with only the possibility to move up to 11th at best? If playoffs happen, tho, we'd be in. 

With Miller, we'd have 7 days to work out a mutually agreed upon deal, or take the NHL's "suggestion", if we can't work it out. 

Thoughts?

I mean it would probably be agreeable for both the Canucks and Devils for the Canucks to keep this years pick.

The Canucks want to keep adding to their young core and 15 in a deep draft could get them another key piece. I would imagine they think they’re trending to be even better next season too.

On the Devils side 15 is decent but they could gamble and hope that Markstrom either leaves or doesn’t have as good of a season and the Canucks finish much lower the following season. If not the pick would likely be in the 15-20 range anyways.

When all is said and done if the draft does happen in June I think the Canucks will be using their pick. Which will give us all some new Canucks talk at the very least.

This is going to get ugly, basically the canucks will have to renegoitiate  withBase the Devils about the conditional pick with the JT miller trade. . Based on this they could ask for more assets since how his season went, absolute bs canucks luck at its finest

41 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

This is going to get ugly, basically the canucks will have to renegoitiate  withBase the Devils about the conditional pick with the JT miller trade. . Based on this they could ask for more assets since how his season went, absolute bs canucks luck at its finest

Relax. The sky isn’t falling.  The trade wasn’t conditional on performance. So how Miller has played is immaterial. At worst the Canucks May have to give up a late pick to defer to next year.  

8 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Thoughts?

The lottery teams will be be very resistant to this solution.  Buffalo has a 21% chance at picking in the top 3. Montreal, 19%.  They’re not going to voluntarily give up those odds in a year where an actual franchise player is available at #1 

17 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Relax. The sky isn’t falling.  The trade wasn’t conditional on performance. So how Miller has played is immaterial. At worst the Canucks May have to give up a late pick to defer to next year.  

The Canucks won’t have to give up anything.

If the draft happens in June we are out of a playoff spot and will give up next years.

New Jersey will say thank you and take it because they’ll be happy to get any first for Blake freaking Coleman.

Edited by DeNiro

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If the draft happens in June we are out of a playoff spot and will give up next years.

New Jersey will say thank you and take it because they’ll be happy to get any first for Blake freaking Coleman.

If they decide to play out the remaining games then the Canucks playoff position isn’t guaranteed.  That’s where the confusion comes in. So the Canucks may or may not have to relinquish this years 1st.  The question of conditional picks will need to be resolved before a draft can proceed 

10 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

If they decide to play out the remaining games then the Canucks playoff position isn’t guaranteed.  That’s where the confusion comes in. So the Canucks may or may not have to relinquish this years 1st.  The question of conditional picks will need to be resolved before a draft can proceed 

Well if they order it for the draft based on the current standings not much to argue.

New Jersey will gladly take next years. I don’t see them asking for an additional pick.

12 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Do they really go forward with standings where some teams have 71 games and others have only 68? 

There is so much that is up in the air with how this season will end and how next season will begin.  I get that play will depend 100% on how the Corona virus crisis plays out and we just don't know.  It's frustrating as hell though.

6 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Do they really go forward with standings where some teams have 71 games and others have only 68? 

There is so much that is up in the air with how this season will end and how next season will begin.  I get that play will depend 100% on how the Corona virus crisis plays out and we just don't know.  It's frustrating as hell though.

The proposal was based on ordering by points percentage.

Meaning the Canucks would be out of a playoff spot when you include Eastern teams.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The proposal was based on ordering by points percentage.

Meaning the Canucks would be out of a playoff spot when you include Eastern teams.

They apparently want to keep the conferences - the 1st 8 in each conference by point percentage would be out of the lottery.   The Canucks are 7th in the West.  They would pick 17th and wouldn't be part of the 15 lottery teams that could move up 4 spots.