The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Draft to remain in June (Proposed)

Rate this topic

aGENT

On 4/23/2020 at 10:45 PM, HockeyHarry said:

who the F thought of doing the draft before seasons closes. It makes no sense. If this draft does happen than all drafts after this should be in February it follows the same logic.

have the draft when season is officially done. What’s the difference when they Draft. The draft kids still go to their jr teams after the draft. 

Having the draft with possibility of a  continued season is just stupid. GMs need to trade players at the draft with no attachments to players playing in that season.

Ridiculous argument.  Surely you can understand that there are huge mitigating factors at play here that do not apply to a normal season. 

Edited by qwijibo

Friedman today:  On Monday, there is a conference call with the board of governors to discuss the possibility of an early June draft (likely June 5 and 6). While the hockey people hate the idea, the governors may be more inclined to accept commissioner Gary Bettman’s stance that this is a necessary move for business reasons. We’ll see where it goes.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, mll said:

Friedman today:  On Monday, there is a conference call with the board of governors to discuss the possibility of an early June draft (likely June 5 and 6). While the hockey people hate the idea, the governors may be more inclined to accept commissioner Gary Bettman’s stance that this is a necessary move for business reasons. We’ll see where it goes.

there isn't an ideal solution anymore. Sometimes the pure business reasons have to win out to keep the organization going, I suspect this is one of those times. You don't get the governors together on a call if its not for a decision. 

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I don’t necessarily agree.

I think they’d love to add another high end prospect now that will be more likely to contribute while their current core is still in their prime.

I would imagine they think next years pick will be lower too with the team trending upwards.

I say keep the pick this year. If they take a D man it will likely take 3-4 years before they’re ready to make an impact. Gotta start that timeline ASAP.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t necessarily agree.

I think they’d love to add another high end prospect now that will be more likely to contribute while their current core is still in their prime.

I would imagine they think next years pick will be lower too with the team trending upwards.

I say keep the pick this year. If they take a D man it will likely take 3-4 years before they’re ready to make an impact. Gotta start that timeline ASAP.

Agreed.

Keeping the pick and adding a guy like Braden Schneider or Helge Grans seems like a no brainer to me.

Is it better to kick the can down the road? Should Corona continue, this could interfere with all leagues for the 2019-20 season, affecting the development of all the 2019 class.

OTOH, for the 2020 draft class, teams would have little recent numbers/data to know which ones to pick. Higher probability of some larcenous draft steals(potentially) with next draft, should this societal nightmare continue.

24 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Agreed.

Keeping the pick and adding a guy like Braden Schneider or Helge Grans seems like a no brainer to me.

Vancouver will likely have very little say in the matter (beyond whether or not the draft goes through in June). 

It comes down to whether the Canucks make, or would have made the the playoffs   Ultimately that’s what will determine if the Canucks surrender this years 1st or next years unprotected 1st. 

It sounds like the final order will be by winning % but it will be taken twice.  Once to determine the draft order and once to determine playoff seeding.  Draft order will be 1-31 league wide without regard to conference.  So the Canucks would be 17th.  Playoff order would put the Canucks in the 7th position in the West.  Since the terms of the Miller deal are to do with playoffs, and the Canucks make the playoffs, then I think they should give the 17th pick to New Jersey.

Apparently, both teams will have the option to work out a deal to their mutual benefit so it might be different from this.  I would imagine that the Canucks would rather have the pick this year as it is a good draft year and they have no 1st or 2nd round pick.  New Jersey would have 3 1st round picks this year with no opportunity to deal picks for players before the draft and 1 1st next year.  Otherwise 2 this year and 2 next year.  Who knows what they would prefer.  This option seems screwy to me but may be a carrot to induce some teams to agree to league plans.

Edited by Crabcakes

45 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Vancouver will likely have very little say in the matter (beyond whether or not the draft goes through in June). 

It comes down to whether the Canucks make, or would have made the the playoffs   Ultimately that’s what will determine if the Canucks surrender this years 1st or next years unprotected 1st. 

Well that’s the whole debate.

If the NHL plans to resume the regular season the order in which the Canucks pick hasn’t been determined. Everyone is just assuming winning percentage will be used to determine if teams made the playoffs, but that was only if they didn’t finish any part of the regular season.

If you’re basing it simply on winning percentage as of right now they are out of the playoff picture (for purposes of a draft) and therefore would keep the pick. 

So I think the Canucks do have room to work out something with the Devils because from the sounds of it they would be able to keep their pick. However maybe Benning, and Fitzgerald, prefers they surrender this years. 

Definitely an interesting scenario.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well that’s the whole debate.

If the NHL plans to resume the regular season the order in which the Canucks pick hasn’t been determined. Everyone is just assuming winning percentage will be used to determine if teams made the playoffs, but that was only if they didn’t finish any part of the regular season.

If you’re basing it simply on winning percentage as of right now they are out of the playoff picture (for purposes of a draft) and therefore would keep the pick. 

So I think the Canucks do have room to work out something with the Devils because from the sounds of it they would be able to keep their pick. However maybe Benning, and Fitzgerald, prefers they surrender this years. 

Definitely an interesting scenario.

They would use point percentage to the current standings - Canucks would be in the playoffs.  They are 3rd in the Pacific and 7th in the West by point percentage.  

Also I think the governors will push hard on the subject of moving up.

No reason why every non playoff team shouldn’t have a shot at winning the lottery. If points percentage is how they want to determine the order.

Forget about this “can’t move up higher than 4” BS. Why should that be a rule? Especially since we don’t even know if the season will resume. Why should a team with the 8th spot all of a sudden get punished and not be able to move into the top 3?

Just now, mll said:

They would use point percentage to the current standings - Canucks would be in the playoffs.  They are 3rd in the Pacific and 7th in the West by point percentage.  

The memo said they would reorder teams 1-31 based on points percentage. Nothing to do with divisions.

That would put them in a three way tie for the 15th spot (Florida, Nashville, Vancouver .565) with the Canucks having the lowest regulation wins. So that should put the Canucks out of the playoffs and in the 15th spot.

Which would be hilarious because we could potentially keep our pick and make the playoffs. A scenario that seemed impossible only a week ago.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The memo said they would reorder teams 1-31 based on points percentage. Nothing to do with divisions.

That would put them in a three way tie for the 15th spot (Florida, Nashville, Vancouver .565) with the Canucks having the lowest regulation wins. So that should put the Canucks out of the playoffs and in the 15th spot.

Which would be hilarious because we could potentially keep our pick and make the playoffs. A scenario that seemed impossible only a week ago.

Scott Burnside:  So, based on points percentage, Western Conference bubble teams Nashville (.565), Vancouver (.565) and Calgary (.564) and Eastern Conference bubble teams Carolina (.596), the New York Islanders (.588) and Toronto (.579) – three regulation wins more than Columbus, which has also played 70 games and has a .579 points percentage – would not be draft-lottery eligible under next month’s potential system.

1 minute ago, mll said:

Scott Burnside:  So, based on points percentage, Western Conference bubble teams Nashville (.565), Vancouver (.565) and Calgary (.564) and Eastern Conference bubble teams Carolina (.596), the New York Islanders (.588) and Toronto (.579) – three regulation wins more than Columbus, which has also played 70 games and has a .579 points percentage – would not be draft-lottery eligible under next month’s potential system.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.nucksmisconduct.com/platform/amp/2020/5/2/21245197/will-the-canucks-retain-their-1st-round-pick-if-the-nhl-entry-draft-occurs-in-june

If they reorder based on league wide standings the Canucks would be in the bottom 15.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/teams?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20192020&seasonTo=20192020&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=pointPct&page=0&pageSize=50

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The Athletic obtained the memo with the details distributed to the teams.  According to that memo The league wants to use each team’s points percentage at the time of the pause and rank No. 1-8 in each conference. 

Just now, mll said:

The Athletic obtained the memo with the details distributed to the teams.  According to that memo The league wants to use each team’s points percentage at the time of the pause and rank No. 1-8 in each conference. 

Well I guess we’ll see. I’ve seen conflicting reports.

Either way it is still just a proposal and could change drastically.

In all likelihood I think the GMs vote it down anyways.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There has already been significant GM pushback but the league still put the memo together.  There's a Board of Governors call this Monday.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

it could actually work out well for us a couple of different ways. Say we end up at 15, and move up a spot or two to 14 or 13. New Jersey might be very interested in that pick and maybe we can shed some salary cap if we offer it to them for this years draft. Might be a lifeline for keeping Toffoili or even bringing in some new defence talent. If we could shed Loui that would be a home run imo. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Thanks 1