Sign in to follow this  
aGENT

NHL Draft to remain in June (Proposed)

Rate this topic

Just now, Rick Blight said:

As a player, why would I do this? I would be looking to get a new contract with term right on July 1st with a new team.....wouldn't you?

i dunno, its such a weird year. I think I'd want a shot at the cup tbh. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

i dunno, its such a weird year. I think I'd want a shot at the cup tbh. 

Yeah, I get that and if you are playing on a cup contender that might be a difficult decision. But if you were Jacob Markstrom and have fulfilled your contract obligations up until July 1st, would you risk the rest of your career and lucrative contracts for that opportunity? Meanwhile, non-playoff goalies are available and teams may sign them over you as they simply don't know what is going to happen with you.

• Hydration 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

14 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Yeah, I get that and if you are playing on a cup contender that might be a difficult decision. But if you were Jacob Markstrom and have fulfilled your contract obligations up until July 1st, would you risk the rest of your career and lucrative contracts for that opportunity? Meanwhile, non-playoff goalies are available and teams may sign them over you as they simply don't know what is going to happen with you.

yeah its a tough one, I'd guess most players want to play. A good playoff run is a lotto ticket too, just look at Beagle.  

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

I'm looking at it a bit differently. A player could get injured in the playoffs even if ended in normal circumstances that could hurt their UFA value. They play beyond July 1st, it's the same risk just later in the year. They are having an extended break right now, so bodies are healing before a potential playoffs unlike normal circumstances where players might be going in all banged up. Playoffs are generally considered "non-paid" anyway because teams that fail to make the playoffs still make their dough. Most players want to win a Cup and every opportunity year counts. If the playoffs started in June and you're in the 2nd/3rd round by July, would you simply drop from your team? It would really show you the character of a player and their commitment to winning and loyalty to your team. For me, that would hurt your UFA value also.

The stated benefit of doing this is that it keeps NHL relevant... That's just a pathetic reason to force the draft in June.

This is going to force teams to make decisions without doing due diligence. Interviewing prospects face-to-face or to evaluate them without draft combine (for what it's worth). 

And there's no rush to draft these guys until the season resumes anyways.

And the very problem of trading current roster players only for them to come back and join the former team for playoff run (if the season resumes)?

I just don't see the benefit of doing this and it only creates a mess for the teams and the league moving forward. 

I seriously wonder whose idea this was. It's just damn stupid.

• Hydration 1

3 minutes ago, khay said:

And the very problem of trading current roster players only for them to come back and join the former team for playoff run (if the season resumes)?

If a player is traded, I imagine they simply are not eligible to play for their "former" team in the playoffs. Players are technically allowed to be traded after the TDL in any regular season, but just can't suit up for their new team, so this is no different. The biggest problem it creates is that teams may hang onto players if playoffs do resume, so they don't make the deal the would normally make knowing the outcome of the playoffs and whether they want to extend a player or not.

I imagine by June, they'll have a good idea if the playoffs will be toast or not though. Teams should be doing their due diligence as best as they can now anyway for the draft. These are the circumstances and every team is handicapped by it., so hopefully teams have been doing their due diligence all year and have a good idea on some of the players. No one will know of the late bloomers, but most teams will know who are the top end guys and who are the longshots by now. They can't do the combine, but they can still do the interviews (phone or video chat) and the Canucks draft a lot based on character, so this will be distinguishable through this.

36 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'm looking at it a bit differently. A player could get injured in the playoffs even if ended in normal circumstances that could hurt their UFA value. They play beyond July 1st, it's the same risk just later in the year. They are having an extended break right now, so bodies are healing before a potential playoffs unlike normal circumstances where players might be going in all banged up. Playoffs are generally considered "non-paid" anyway because teams that fail to make the playoffs still make their dough. Most players want to win a Cup and every opportunity year counts. If the playoffs started in June and you're in the 2nd/3rd round by July, would you simply drop from your team? It would really show you the character of a player and their commitment to winning and loyalty to your team. For me, that would hurt your UFA value also.

I understand and appreciate that position  but just a couple of comments on the bolded.

A player is under contractual obligation to play the playoffs in normal circumstances and therefore has no choice but to play. If the playoffs were to be played after July 1st it is no longer mandatory for said player to play. As a matter of fact, they could not play even if they want to unless they have a current valid Standard Players Contract.

Absolutely agree that every player wants to win a Cup and every opportunity counts under normal conditions. Obviously we do not have normal circumstances right now and players would have some really difficult decisions to make. If I am a marginal player on a team that does not want to re-sign me beyond this season I think it would be a pretty easy decision for me not to play. Just my opinion.

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

I understand and appreciate that position  but just a couple of comments on the bolded.

A player is under contractual obligation to play the playoffs in normal circumstances and therefore has no choice but to play. If the playoffs were to be played after July 1st it is no longer mandatory for said player to play. As a matter of fact, they could not play even if they want to unless they have a current valid Standard Players Contract.

Absolutely agree that every player wants to win a Cup and every opportunity counts under normal conditions. Obviously we do not have normal circumstances right now and players would have some really difficult decisions to make. If I am a marginal player on a team that does not want to re-sign me beyond this season I think it would be a pretty easy decision for me not to play. Just my opinion.

Fair enough, but a good playoffs also boosts value. You're well rested with this break, and have an opportunity to make yourself stand out. There's certainly risk involved, but I'm not sold that it's much different than a regular year. They have a right to say no, but at the same time, how does that reflect on them to other teams?

If they're a marginal player, who knows how many more years in the league they have left before they're pushed out of the league altogether. This could be that one opportunity for you to get your name on the Cup. Players that have played their entire careers and have not won the Cup ultimately feel the pain of not winning the ultimate prize. Also with the current market, you want to make sure you're on the top of the list for signings as there is likely less room for teams to add marginal players for decent raises, so there isn't a large market for you. Younger ELCs might push you out anyway.

NHL should offer a deal to all players on expiring contracts. If injured, guaranteed 75% of current income, for 2 or 3 more seasons(say, depending over/under 30 yrs old)

For teams it wouldn't count against the cap, if said player can't play. At least all players would have some degree of insurance/protection.

BOG & NHLPA should find agreement on such possibilities rather easily.

• Hydration 1

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

obvious repercussions of this for the Canucks, is that it would nix our ability to potentially move players like Stecher at the draft.

Why is trading Stecher obvious?

6 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

They are under contract until July 1st each year so they are covered for the playoffs. If they play playoffs beyond July 1st this year then those players would be playing without a contract and, in my opinion, would not risk injury by playing.

The CBA gives the players 50% of revenue. Individual contracts are just their own % of that pool of money against next years cap. Driven from this years revenue.   

Even just TV revenue for play off's will increase how much all players get paid next year. 

Players & owners alike are already taking a huge hit with their share of the loss of gate revenue. 

• Hydration 1

11 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Why is trading Stecher obvious?

I think your self editing a lot of words out there. Ability, potentially and like.

Nowhere in there do I state trading Stecher is obvious.

Just now, aGENT said:

I think your self editing a lot of words out there. Ability, potentially and like.

Nowhere in there do I state trading Stecher is obvious.

Well?

I don't perceive why we would want to trade Stecher. So it being an obvious key issue seemed odd.   

We currently have 3 NHL RHD. Tanev is UFA? Our Utica depth is untested.

Losing Tanev & trading Stecher could leave us with one legit NHL RHD; Meyer. 

Regardless of whatever the players status is, they are still under contract  hence the nhl players paychecks being withheld  and players don' get paid for the playoffs . They technically only get paid for the season, , so players  still have  bonuses to play for ,cash for winning the cup and  a good playoffs for  ufa and rfa can mean some big bucks come the following season ,   

I cant see the nhl having a draft  if playoffs are going on , if there is no playoffs  , just go by winning % for draft order 

Would be something if we were to keep our 1st because we were out of the playoffs based on points, but then still make the playoffs...

I am hoping that Mr.Benning and his staff can do the same as the last couple of years and make some great choices at the draft.because this has been a weakness for this club for many many many years.

What I would like to see is top notch defensive talent taken again,Hughes as a "ROOKIE" has pretty much carried this blue line all season.

The defense is another weakness for this club (fifty years and no NORRIS TROPHY WINNERS FOR US). this is were Championship teams shine.we have some guys that try with all their might and unfortunately are short on skills and on defense that is abundantly clear for all to see.

When a defense man makes a mistake it is really noticed and if you can't carry the puck and pass it to the right person on the fly and slide all over the blue line for a clear shot on goal or hit or clear in front of your own net,sorry but the NHL is not for you,and we have a few that fall in that category.

Posted (edited)

I like Stech more than what we have in the pipe at the moment his heart is huge he will go down fighting giving his all and sometimes that’s what you need.

Edited by CanuckleHorse
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/22/2020 at 12:16 PM, Rick Blight said:

As a player, why would I do this? I would be looking to get a new contract with term right on July 1st with a new team.....wouldn't you?

... because it is the only way they don't have to return half of the money they were paid this year.  Escrow is a function of the revenue, a large chunk of the revenue comes from the playoffs. not to mention almost 200 missed regular season games.  The players portion of that missed revenue is around $550 million dollars.

This is an inconsequential issue as the NHLPA as the bargaining agent will look after the most players it can, and that means extending all contracts so they don't expire before a playoffs would happen.  There simply isn't another option aside from foregoing the playoffs at all... and that isn't good for any of their players including the ones who are on expiring contracts.

Edited by Provost
  • Huggy Bear 1

Posted (edited)

I can't see how a draft before playoffs could possibly work... it would introduce too many opportunities for things to go badly, compared with gaining very little on the positive side.

You have to decide if it is pure points percentage (likely) or broken up by conference or division.  it doesn't give you the same standings, there could be teams eligible for the playoffs who also get lottery picks because of how unbalanced the divisions and conferences are.  Conversely a team could be out of the playoffs AND not get a lottery pick out of it.

If they get in some more regular season games, then a team could literally win the lottery and then also win the Cup.  A team could completely miss the playoffs and also get a much lower pick than they would have otherwise.

If they don't get regular season games but have some sort of play in for the bubble teams, quite a few teams could get a lottery pick and also be in the playoffs.  Same as teams could get neither a playoff opportunity NOR a lottery pick.

That is completely ignoring the one off issues like how would our pick work?  We are technically in the playoffs within our conference based on points percentage.  Are we one of the top 16 teams based on a league-wide format though?  I think we end up either 16th or 17th since most of the teams below us are in the West, and there are teams in the East that are out of the playoffs but ahead of us in points percentage.  Do we end up giving our 1st round pick this year or next?

Then there is the whole issue of entirely removing the ability to trade players or picks.  You can't do it if they haven't cancelled even the opportunity for the playoffs.  You can't trade away a roster player and take a pick back, or the reverse.  Teams can't lose players when they are facing a possible playoff run and not be able to replace them.

On the upside, there is little benefit to holding an early draft.  You get a little exposure and good news for a few days hyping it up, and kids will know if and where they got drafted, that is about it really.

There is no reason to do it, and they have plenty of time to figure out if they will be able to hold playoffs.  They would need to know by end of May certainly whether they can go ahead with some format.  They need to arrange to bring players back from all over the world with limited flights running, quarantine them all onsite for two weeks (even from each other), then start some sort of training camp, and then hold the games/playoffs by early July.  If they don't know they can do that by the end of May, they are going to have to cancel the playoffs and will have plenty of time to arrange a draft and offseason schedule.  Until that point, it is just a no-go for too many reasons.

Edited by Provost
  • Hydration 2
  • Huggy Bear 1