The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Draft to remain in June (Proposed)

Rate this topic

aGENT

2 hours ago, mikkim said:

That's pretty funny that they list them as the Coyotes, the Devils, and the Hurricanes

and Quebec because Nordiques and the logo was too weird

9 hours ago, lmm said:

Extending contracts would be very difficult, if not impossible.

Everybody is either a lawyer or represented by one or more.

Contracts are binding. They end on June 30 at midnight

The NHL/NHLPA could negotiate an extension, but there is a greater possibility that there is a strike/lockout before that happens. 

there is very litttle in it for the players, and the NHLPA is there to ensure the players do not get taken advantage of.

At this point, players are being asked to extend contracts that they likely want a raise on, forgo their summer, go back to work in camps that do not allow them to see their family of up to 8+ weeks. Players are already balking at that one.  For what gain? ECLs get a raise, RFAs get a raise if they stay on the same team, UFAs mostly get a raise

I am thinking if I am negotiating a new contract i'd rather negotiate based on the season that has been rather than on whatever might happen playing neutral site games in the summer.  And what if your contract is up next summer and you have a bad season because you get injured in July 2020? There is a whole lot of reasons for players to not play along with any of this, and contracts and agents and NHLPA  on their side  to defend their rights.

The NHLPA is working with the NHL to find ways to finish the season and award a Cup.  The players share the loss in revenue through the split of HRR (hockey related revenue) as defined in the CBA.   The hit on players salary would be even more significant if they can't complete the season.  

The return to play committee which is composed of high ranking members of the NHLPA and NHL as well as players McDavid, Tavares, Scheifele, JvR and Hainsey are meeting again this Wednesday to map out potential scenarios.  

The NHL understands that they can't isolate players from their families.  Daly:  "We don't expect them to be isolated and away from their families for a four-month period of time or a three-month period of time or even a two-month period of time," he said. "We understand the importance of kind of family interaction, and we'll find a way to accommodate that."

Edited by mll

14 hours ago, lmm said:

Extending contracts would be very difficult, if not impossible.

Everybody is either a lawyer or represented by one or more.

Contracts are binding. They end on June 30 at midnight

The NHL/NHLPA could negotiate an extension, but there is a greater possibility that there is a strike/lockout before that happens. 

there is very litttle in it for the players, and the NHLPA is there to ensure the players do not get taken advantage of.

At this point, players are being asked to extend contracts that they likely want a raise on, forgo their summer, go back to work in camps that do not allow them to see their family of up to 8+ weeks. Players are already balking at that one.  For what gain? ECLs get a raise, RFAs get a raise if they stay on the same team, UFAs mostly get a raise

I am thinking if I am negotiating a new contract i'd rather negotiate based on the season that has been rather than on whatever might happen playing neutral site games in the summer.  And what if your contract is up next summer and you have a bad season because you get injured in July 2020? There is a whole lot of reasons for players to not play along with any of this, and contracts and agents and NHLPA  on their side  to defend their rights.

Mostly really good points but regarding injuries...they happen all the time. My understanding from another poster (I'm taking their word on this but they usually speak sense...) is that the players also stand to lose a fair bit of money due to lost NHL revenue if the playoffs don't happen. Regarding the contracts, yes I know that they are binding, but in my uneducated mind in this extremely unusual situation might there not be a way to negotiate a blanket extension to another firm date in the very near future? I think both sides will probably lose more than they want.

On 5/2/2020 at 11:54 AM, Jester13 said:

Will the Canucks retain their 1st round pick if the NHL Entry Draft occurs in June?

https://flip.it/ylvwS4

So, Daly's proposal could see the Canucks in 17th position, so a lottery, but in 15th with only the possibility to move up to 11th at best? If playoffs happen, tho, we'd be in. 

With Miller, we'd have 7 days to work out a mutually agreed upon deal, or take the NHL's "suggestion", if we can't work it out. 

Interesting read and proposals.

Thoughts?

One idea to solving the conditional pick problem is to have a means for both the Nucks and Devils to agree to a player to draft with the team getting that player being determined by whether the Nucks make the playoffs once the season resume and ended.  So if the Vancouver makes the playoffs, New Jersey gets the player drafted while if the former missed the playoffs, they will get that player.  Some ways this could be accomplished, the Nucks and the Devils could work on a joint draft list or if they don't want to share information, they could offer separate rankings list to a neutral party (like the league) who will make the pick for both clubs.  It is not a perfect solution, but it is a way around the problem. 

32 minutes ago, WestCoastDave said:

One idea to solving the conditional pick problem is to have a means for both the Nucks and Devils to agree to a player to draft with the team getting that player being determined by whether the Nucks make the playoffs once the season resume and ended.  So if the Vancouver makes the playoffs, New Jersey gets the player drafted while if the former missed the playoffs, they will get that player.  Some ways this could be accomplished, the Nucks and the Devils could work on a joint draft list or if they don't want to share information, they could offer separate rankings list to a neutral party (like the league) who will make the pick for both clubs.  It is not a perfect solution, but it is a way around the problem. 

Creative thinking. But I seriously doubt either team would be willing to do that. Way to convoluted and it’s doubtful either team would want to settle for a mutually agreed upon player if the player they really want is still on the board.  The decision on whether or not Vancouver relinquishes their pick this year will be decided we’ll in advance of the draft, one way or another