The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #35

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #35  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #35 Canuck of All-Time?

• T. Williams
    • D. Rota
    • J. Hansen
    • C. Tanev
    • D. Ververgaert
    • G. Butcher
    • G. Odjick
    • C. Fraser
    • D. Babych
    • K. McCarthy

This poll is closed to new votes

Bo Horvat becomes the 2nd active Canuck on the list with a very strong victory for 34th place. McCarthy led the way with the nominations at six of them, so Kevin McCarthy was added as a voting option.

Reminder to both vote and nominate another player to be added as a voting option!

For those of you who haven't seen these kinds of polls before, the way they work is you vote for who you think is the greatest/top Canuck at the position. As for what is meant by "Greatest" or "Top", I will leave that to each individual. I have my own interpretations, but others may define it differently. Worth noting, that I do want to keep this to their tenures with Vancouver and as players, thus a player like Neely would only be considered for his Vancouver time and guys like Quinn and Crawford would only be considered for their playing careers, not their coaching careers.

The List:

#1 - H. Sedin

#2 - D. Sedin

#3 - T. Linden

#4 - P. Bure

#5 - M. Naslund

#6 - S. Smyl

#7 - R. Luongo

#8 - K. McLean

#9 - T. Gradin

#10 - A. Edler

-------------------

#11 - T. Bertuzzi

#12 - M. Ohlund

#13 - R. Brodeur

#14 - A. Burrows

#15 - R. Kesler

#16 - H. Snepsts

#17 - T. Tanti

#18 - A. Mogilny

#19 - J. Lumme

#20 - S. Salo

-------------------

#21 - B. Morrison

#22 - A. Boudrias

#23 - D. Lidster

#24 - K. Bieksa

#25 - C. Ronning

#26 - D. Lever

#27 - D. Kearns

#28 - E. Jovanovski

#29 - P. Sundstrom

#30 - G. Adams

-------------------

#31 - O. Kurtenbach

#32 - P. Skriko

#33 - G. Courtnall

#34 - B. Horvat

Voting for Rota once again.

I now join the 70s again in celebration of Gary Smith, who pretty much single-handedly brought the 1974-75 Canucks to a division title and even helped them win a game against the incredible 70s Canadiens in the playoffs at the Forum. For an idea of how incredible Smith was that year, he finished 6th in Hart voting and 3rd in All-Star voting, which effectively means the voters saw him as the third best goaltender in the entire league during that season. Smith also had a season before and after the 1974-75 season with the Canucks for three seasons in total, and while neither were nearly as incredible as 1974-75, he was still a solid goaltender. There could be a valid case made for Smith's 1974-75 season being the most impressive individual season by a Canuck until Bure came along in the early 90s.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I'm still thinking about who to vote for, but I would like to nominate Dan Cloutier.  I know many people hate him for his playoff results, but for a time he was one of the best goalies to have played here.

My evidence:

Set Canuck record for shutouts (later passed by Luongo)
NHL player of the month (4th Canuck in history to do so)
First Canuck goalie to have three consecutive 30 win seasons
Still sits 4th in Canuck career wins, 3rd in shutouts, 3rd in GAA 

I believe he also leads all Canuck goalies in fighting majors.

While I would maintain that it's too early for Cloutier, I really do love to see some Cloutier love. I do personally think he gets way too much hate from Canuck fans who forget the good moments he did have.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

While I would maintain that it's too early for Cloutier, I really do love to see some Cloutier love. I do personally think he gets way too much hate from Canuck fans who forget the good moments he did have.

I think I had him in my top 70.  The guy pulled the rug out from under the team year after year in the playoffs, but he did his part in getting them there at least.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I think I had him in my top 70.  The guy pulled the rug out from under the team year after year in the playoffs, but he did his part in getting them there at least.

He sits in the 50s for me, but doesn't make the top 50. Smith has always been ahead of him and Markstrom passed him with this season IMO.

Voted Babych - nominate Oddliefson.. 

Edit:  WIth around five nominations available for the top 50 - glad to see guys like Smith and Lanz getting their due - hope CDCers do not sleep on Murzyn and Momesso either - if Hansen gets in then other great support players should also get consideration and Momesso was definitely one of those guys...don't mind the Aucion or even Cloutier nominations but not ahead of these guys.... wonder if monkey business will now start (Vrbata? Miller? ha ha )....and on Markstrom - yeah he has shown he can play better then Cloutier - BUT he hasn't had any playoff games yet to show us what he can manage when the pressure is up...at least Cloutier did..I'm high on Babych because he was one more Canuck in that great playoff team we had in the earl-mid 90's that stepped up his game when it matters the most.   And Momesso kept players honest when Ronning was taking a regular shift...and chipped in too.  O  h and on Cook...can get why some really liked this guy - he had some great goals - clutch...and my way younger sister became a fan during the WCE years and loved him as much or more then any of those players....for those that also grew up watching that team first can't take that away from them - it's the same thing for each fan more or less and their first loves are hard to see without rose coloured glasses...but not if it means Lanz, Oddleifson, Smith, Murzyn or for me Momesso doens't get in.   Rather have Momesso on my team any day.   Anyways get the subjectivity of this list - and actually appreciate it more then the experts list to a point.   AJ, Biestra and Baratheon and a few others have really done a great job in helping shed some light on the oldies but goodies in our history  -  and I hope to honour that too despite probably never watching Smith play a game or at least if somehow I did - don't remember it.  Had to be at a family member or friends house way back then - our TV was black and white and had rabbits ears - and HNIC wasn't a regular thing in my house until I was 16 and living at Grandmas with my uncle.   I admit I'm a homer for the Linden teams...and get why those that grew up with Tiger - or later Tanti or before Smith also have their own memories which weigh into their personal experiences of what greatness mean to them.

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1