The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Talks of Return in July

Rate this topic

24 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

:picard:Don't watch it then, i will be gladly watching it rather than waiting half a year for hockey. Hilarious that people think a cup is void if the first series is only 5 games. :picard:

This is how all the playoffs were formatted in the early 80's.:picard: I guess we don't have to count the Oilers/Islanders cup wins because the integrity of the playoffs were compromised.:picard: The NHL had two lockouts and fans were outraged, now they are outraged that we don't lock them out.:picard: So by this high level of integrity that hockey fans have come to demand, they should never play any World Hockey Tournaments at all, after all the players just had an offseason. They couldn't possibly play a tourney or any hockey at all with just a week long training camp.:picard: The NHL said they'd give them a three week training camp when they only have a week long one in September.:picard: If they do play, do us a favour and don't watch it or if you do, don't complain. :picard::picard::picard::picard:

Dan Levy Comedy GIF by CBC

• Haha 3

Anyone know what happens to players who would normally be free agents as of July if the season restarts mid summer?  Is there some clause that says free agency starts on July 1 unless you are still playing hockey, in which case the free agency starts 24 hours after the Stanley Cup is awarded?  Is that something that would need to be negotiated with the NHLPA as an exception?  I suppose the same could happen if the season restarts in Sept and plays out before the 2020/21 season starts?  It would seem odd to have free agents move to different teams before the end of a season?  

On 4/26/2020 at 7:14 AM, DrJockitch said:

Seems to me that Las Vegas has 31 empty hotels.

Could get each team and staff their own hotel and bus.

Have the staff working the hotels as live in staff for extended periods.

Screening then testing for everyone.

Could do the same in Nashville I imagine but in Vegas a lot of those Hotel's are mini cities unto themselves.

I know that crazy LV mayor would be all over it.

July and August in Vegas though ouch.

Having most of the teams in a single area might not be a idea, but probably not LV.

Maybe have all the Western Conference teams to be based in LA and then all the Eastern teams in NYC.  Then just have all the games played in empty arenas.  

Minimal travel for teams, thus less wear/tear.  

If the season goes ahead, I think this break will allow us to benefit from it.  QH, BB, and EP could be the key to winning because opposition Ds positioning and goalie's reactions may be slightly off.  Could be time for us to really stack the stats.

8 hours ago, skategal said:

Anyone know what happens to players who would normally be free agents as of July if the season restarts mid summer?  Is there some clause that says free agency starts on July 1 unless you are still playing hockey, in which case the free agency starts 24 hours after the Stanley Cup is awarded?  Is that something that would need to be negotiated with the NHLPA as an exception?  I suppose the same could happen if the season restarts in Sept and plays out before the 2020/21 season starts?  It would seem odd to have free agents move to different teams before the end of a season?  

This is a great question. I am glad you asked it. Cooperation between the league and PA is the only way this season happens. They will have to get creative and start having discussions as soon as practical.  It is May, so we are probably six weeks out.

• Huggy Bear 1

honestly i don't see this happening.. hub city? not every player will agree to it especially those with new borns... lock down in a city for however long neccessary not allowed to go and see their family in person? i doubt there's a claus in the contract that states if required you may be requested to stay with the teams for months without a chance to go home to see your family.. getting the players to said cities will also be an issue.. as some players returned home to their countries overseas and US have banned all foreign nationals residing in europe from entering US... and looking at the graph for new cases in US there doesn't appear to be any slowing down.. so i don't see them lifting any of the travel restriction anytime soon.

36 minutes ago, nucklehead said:

with an asterisk  

I don't really get this.

Why would this years cup be diminished? Everyone's had the same number of days off, no one has any kind of advantage. You could argue this one might even be harder than normal to win given all the constraints there will be on players. 

I highly doubt there will be playoffs this year with people still dying

Towards the end of the Spanish flu a NHL player died in the 1919 Stanley Cup Finals

even shotgun himself said it is more important than hockey, and with free agents and all the complications, different country policies and unresolved issues that 2020 will be a season in the history books as one with no Stanley Cup awarded

Anyone listen to Matt Sekeres yesterday?

He says the reason the League still wants to finish this regular season is 10 teams in the states have regional tv deals with Fox stations.

Those deals stipulate that if this season isn't completed, they get to broadcast next season for free.

Follow the money.

19 minutes ago, gurn said:

Anyone listen to Matt Sekeres yesterday?

He says the reason the League still wants to finish this regular season is 10 teams in the states have regional tv deals with Fox stations.

Those deals stipulate that if this season isn't completed, they get to broadcast next season for free.

Follow the money.

i really doubt he's seen the actual contracts. There would be a force majeure clause for something like this. 

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

i really doubt he's seen the actual contracts. There would be a force majeure clause for something like this. 

Maybe, I know there isn't such a clause in my contract, but that didn't stop the employer from doing what it wanted. :(

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I highly doubt there will be playoffs this year with people still dying

Towards the end of the Spanish flu a NHL player died in the 1919 Stanley Cup Finals

even shotgun himself said it is more important than hockey, and with free agents and all the complications, different country policies and unresolved issues that 2020 will be a season in the history books as one with no Stanley Cup awarded

People will still be dying for the next year until a vaccine is found.

Businesses will have to resume before that in order to survive however. We can’t keep draining money from our economy forever. Then it’s not older people you have to worry about it’s future generations who are going to be hit hard.

We’re already seeing pressure mounting from governments to start reopening the economy. The four major leagues are pushing ahead with their plans to resume their seasons. They just need the green light from provincial, state, and municipal governments. 

Still optimistic we’ll see a return in July.

The longer this goes on, the more I think they should just s##tcan the season.

Accept what it is. A pandemic threat ain't no walk in the park. 

I say do the virtual entry draft, the virtual free agent frenzy, and cut yer losses!

3 hours ago, NexusRift said:

The longer this goes on, the more I think they should just s##tcan the season.

Accept what it is. A pandemic threat ain't no walk in the park. 

I say do the virtual entry draft, the virtual free agent frenzy, and cut yer losses!

But the players play to win the game... pandemic or not, the season must be decided. These guys have a responsibility to play out the games in a safe environment and give us a winner. This isn't a participation league

We got two options...

"Hey guys thanks for competing this year. No winners or losers this year, everyone enjoy your summer!"

Or

"Now... more than ever, the power of sport is needed to raise morale of our people as they isolate... hockey must go on!"

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, apollo said:

These guys have a responsibility

To their families.

A lot of these guys will have more cash at the bank than all of us CDC ers combined.

Why risk an illness that can kill you or ruin your lungs for the rest of your life?

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

To their families.

A lot of these guys will have more cash at the bank than all of us CDC ers combined.

Why risk an illness that can kill you or ruin your lungs for the rest of your life?

No evidence that it can ruin your lungs.

It will all depend on what the NHL presents to them as a safe way to resume play and whether they think it’s worth the risk.

No one else’s opinions really matter.

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

To their families.

You totally took my quote out of context there - I continued to say safe environment.

These guys have a responsibility to play out the games in a safe environment

These are NHL players, they will have instant testing available to them. They wont be put at any risk if everyone is tested and in a controlled environment.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No evidence that it can ruin your lungs.

https://knowridge.com/2020/05/this-arthritis-drug-may-show-promise-in-treating-covid-19-lung-damage/

This arthritis drug may show promise in treating COVID-19 lung damage

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/heres-the-damage-coronavirus-covid-19-can-do-to-your-lungs/

Here’s the Damage Coronavirus (COVID-19) Can Do to Your Lungs

How the coronavirus causes acute respiratory distress syndrome
In critical COVID-19 -- about 5% of total cases -- the infection can damage the walls and linings of the air sacs in your lungs. As your body tries to fight it, your lungs become more inflamed and fill with fluid. This can make it harder for them to swap oxygen and carbon dioxide.

Is COVID-19 lung damage reversible?

After a serious case of COVID-19, a patient’s lungs can recover, but not overnight. “Recovery from lung damage takes time,” Galiatsatos says. “There’s the initial injury to the lungs, followed by scarring. Over time, the tissue heals, but it can take three months to a year or more for a person’s lung function to return to pre-COVID-19 levels.”

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/covid19-lung-damage-in-coronavirus-patient-who-had-no-symptoms/news-story/9395dc5b02e59cd390565d9d766cbe50

Dr Mortman said it’s not known whether the man will fully recover, since for some patients, the damage has so far been irreversible.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-symptoms-covid19-causes-irreversible-lung-damage/news-story/5ec307aeac0203d752135ef3ec152fe6

Coronavirus symptoms: COVID-19 causes ‘irreversible’ lung damage

While 80 per cent of the population will only endure mild illness if infected with COVID-19, for one in six people the lung damage the virus causes can be “irreversible”.

“For a small number of people who are severely affected by the disease, breathing normally may never be the same again, and getting short of breath on minimal exertion or requiring medication to help you breathe may become the norm,” Dr Khan explained.

Chief of thoracic surgery at the George Washington Hospital, Dr Keith Mortman, told CNN when the lungs encounter a viral infection, the organ will start to seal the virus off – with the damage to the lungs “rapid and widespread”.

“Unfortunately, once damaged to this degree, the lungs can take a long time to heal,” he said, adding “irreversible” damage can be caused.

Hong Kong Hospital Authority Infectious Disease Centre medical director Owen Tsang Tak-yin told media in March some patients who experienced severe cases of COVID-19 “might have around a drop of 20 to 30 per cent in lung function” after full recovery.