The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #39

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #39  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #39 Canuck of All-Time?

• D. Rota
    • C. Tanev
    • G. Butcher
    • D. Ververgaert
    • G. Smith
    • I. Larionov
    • C. Fraser
    • K. McCarthy
    • R. Lanz
    • C. Oddleifson

This poll is closed to new votes

Congrats to Jannik Hansen who was named the #38 Canuck of All-Time in a very close race with Rota and also Tanev, who was only a bit further behind.

In a tight race, Chris Oddleifson won the nomination game with seven nominations, one ahead of Hamhuis.

Reminder to both vote and nominate another player to be added as a voting option!

For those of you who haven't seen these kinds of polls before, the way they work is you vote for who you think is the greatest/top Canuck at the position. As for what is meant by "Greatest" or "Top", I will leave that to each individual. I have my own interpretations, but others may define it differently. Worth noting, that I do want to keep this to their tenures with Vancouver and as players, thus a player like Neely would only be considered for his Vancouver time and guys like Quinn and Crawford would only be considered for their playing careers, not their coaching careers.

The List:

#1 - H. Sedin

#2 - D. Sedin

#3 - T. Linden

#4 - P. Bure

#5 - M. Naslund

#6 - S. Smyl

#7 - R. Luongo

#8 - K. McLean

#9 - T. Gradin

#10 - A. Edler

-------------------

#11 - T. Bertuzzi

#12 - M. Ohlund

#13 - R. Brodeur

#14 - A. Burrows

#15 - R. Kesler

#16 - H. Snepsts

#17 - T. Tanti

#18 - A. Mogilny

#19 - J. Lumme

#20 - S. Salo

-------------------

#21 - B. Morrison

#22 - A. Boudrias

#23 - D. Lidster

#24 - K. Bieksa

#25 - C. Ronning

#26 - D. Lever

#27 - D. Kearns

#28 - E. Jovanovski

#29 - P. Sundstrom

#30 - G. Adams

-------------------

#31 - O. Kurtenbach

#32 - P. Skriko

#33 - G. Courtnall

#34 - B. Horvat

#35 - T. Williams

#36 - D. Babych

#37 - G. Odjick

#38 - J. Hansen

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

Rota continues to flirt with getting in, but is just falling short. I'm hoping he gets in here. Absolutely fantastic offensive forward for us.

I'm content with my nominating of Boeser and do recognize that I may be alone it in for a while, but I'm not the only one who's been in that position during this series.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Congratulations Hansen - voting Butcher again and in the tradition of who carried the torch after he left nominate Murzyn.   

In a continuation from last thread - Murzyn and Butcher were viewed as solid defensive defenseman like Tanev is today....that said they didn’t struggle with injuries the same way which is why Butcher was the key part that got us Ronning, Momesso and Courtnall.   Imagine Tanev getting us that sort of haul (probably our best second line ever) all in one fell swoop.   And as far as value goes historians often look at what coaches did and minutes played is a litmus test to their value.    Both these guys were not middle six forward value ... especially the strangler.. one poster pointed out Hansen played five more games then Butcher including playoffs...wonder what the difference in minutes was and what Hansen would have got us in a trade in his late 20’s?  Maybe a 6-7 defenseman or another middle six forward or a pick or something right?  Anyways it’s obvious that it’s easier to vote for guys you’ve seen play - which I absolutely get.   Murray Baron isn’t a bad comparable minus the pugilism if you remember him. 

• Vintage 1

I am, yet again, campaigning for Cloutier, one of my favourite all-time Canucks.

My evidence:

Set Canuck record for shutouts (later passed by Luongo)
NHL player of the month (4th Canuck in history to do so)
First Canuck goalie to have three consecutive 30 win seasons
Still sits 4th in Canuck career wins, 3rd in shutouts, 3rd in GAA 

Although I can't confirm it, I believe he also leads all Canuck goalies in fighting majors.

If not for this thread, please consider nominating Cloutier in a future thread.

• Vintage 2

28 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Congratulations Hansen - voting Butcher again and in the tradition of who carried the torch after he left nominate Murzyn.   

In a continuation from last thread - Murzyn and Butcher were viewed as solid defensive defenseman like Tanev is today....that said they didn’t struggle with injuries the same way which is why Butcher was the key part that got us Ronning, Momesso and Courtnall.   Imagine Tanev getting us that sort of haul (probably our best second line ever) all in one fell swoop.   And as far as value goes historians often look at what coaches did and minutes played is a litmus test to their value.    Both these guys were not middle six forward value ... especially the strangler.. one poster pointed out Hansen played five more games then Butcher including playoffs...wonder what the difference in minutes was and what Hansen would have got us in a trade in his late 20’s?  Maybe a 6-7 defenseman or another middle six forward or a pick or something right?  Anyways it’s obvious that it’s easier to vote for guys you’ve seen play - which I absolutely get.   Murray Baron isn’t a bad comparable minus the pugilism if you remember him. 

You convinced me.  Changing my vote to Butcher.

• Like 1

Tanev.  He just has the smarts. More than other D left.  Well maybe not so smart getting in the way of 90+ mph slapshots :P.  As a pure defensive defenseman, there really were(are) none better for the Canucks.  I'm not calculating injury prone as a demerit, just looking at what he does on the ice when he's here.

...Rota. Yeah, its about time he gets his due.

Edited by kilgore

Tanev, for the reasons I'm too lazy to rearticulate and have simply copied from my #36 thread response: 

He's a lifer, over 500 games, played on the 2011 team, has only had one negative plus minus season this past decade (I know, advanced stats blah blah blah, but do you remember the makeup of those teams that were iced in the last decade?), has taken more pucks to his body, more sticks to his chops, more body slams into the end glass, probably endured more visits to the dentist's chair and the physio room than any other Canuck in history and will likely never be given his proper due because of his proclivity to be injured. And all he has done, each and every time, is come back for more and, to the best of my knowledge, has never complained publicly about anything.

How Chris Tanev can only be 5th or 6th in the current vote is beyond me (obviously). Nothing against any of those players receiving the vast majority of the votes at present, but what am I missing? Seriously? I have witnessed some strange injustices viewing this poll from day to day (heartfelt thank you for the diversion!) and have let those slide because I understand the emotional mechanics at work when CDCers cast their ballots and realize that determining popularity is a totally subjective thing. I just don't get it.

But that's probably just me.

EDIT : I see a modicum of support this round making me think he is due for some recognition soon.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1