The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #39

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #39  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #39 Canuck of All-Time?

• D. Rota
    • C. Tanev
    • G. Butcher
    • D. Ververgaert
    • G. Smith
    • I. Larionov
    • C. Fraser
    • K. McCarthy
    • R. Lanz
    • C. Oddleifson

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Voted Rota

nominate Ron Sedelbauer

Of those currently on the list my next vote will be for Oddleifson, didnt have a vote at the time of my viewing but he was a class player like Gradin, Sedins, super smooth player

Good vote - breaking the deadlock.   Good nomination too...

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

18 hours ago, the grinder said:

voted vevergaert  nominate  jim sandlak   , the only guy  I can remember that actually hit gretzky  and shut him down   ,   and murzyn for the top 50  ? come on he was pylon , the only reason we went on a run in 94 is because he  got hurt , if murzyn gets in ill nominate messier  from now on  lol

Wow.  Took me awhile to consider a proper reply.  Murzyn was an offensive defensenman in juniors and was considered the second best prospect in the world at the time by central scouting.  He went fifth overall and was named to the all-rookie team.  Posted great stats on some so-so teams before going to Calgary where he was a contributor in winning a cup.   When he came here his game was pure defense - and formed the longest standing duo with Lumme until his retirement (in the league at the time).  I’d argue if we had Murzyn throughout the playoffs instead of Glynn it could easily  have meant the difference in NYR scoring a few less goals and maybe we’d never gone down 3-1... when he won the Pratt award on a crazy good plus 34 at the time he was second all-time in that stat.   Some of the best players all-time weren’t fast or semi-fast.   To me Murzyn was a little like Langway lite. 

He was a leader on the team and kept the front of the net cleared and it very hard on anyone in the corners who came near him ... solid hitter - blocked shots before it was vogue etc.   Part of our top pairing when we had other very good options -  Tanev doesn’t fight or put up as many points. Murzyn was  a minus only once in his career right at the end - minus one in the deepest part of the Messier era on a terrible team.   Didn’t suffer the same injury bug despite playing a much more physical game he did anything and everything for his teammates- never see him skate away from a scrum not deal with stars or ANY player get abused.  Tanev is a lady Byng sort of defender and master shot blocker (which takes a toll).

Not saying he should be in the top 40 - but am saying that his body of work definitely stands up with other great defensive defenseman we’ve had.  Tanev and Edler couldn’t win a Pratt award when they had Hamhuis, Erhroff, Mitchell and Bieksa on the team...heck even Hutton and Stecher out did them recently.   So go ahead with your Messier nominations - Murzyn played for almost a decade and was the defensive consience of the team - much like Butcher and Snepsts and currently Tanev.   A little surprised  given how many trade Tanev threads we’ve had over the years that he’s getting this much support.  Has been getting votes for a long time now - before Murzyn haa even available to get his due.    THN has Murzyn at 49...and Tanev didn’t make the cut. 

Edit:  as far as defenseman that we’ve had that garnered Norris votes Jovo has the field beat by a long shot.  6th two years in a row and got votes 3 years consecutive years...then again a few times in PHX.  Erhroff, Bieksa and Hamhuis 2 times each...Edler once, Ohlund once...Vlasic gets some recognition like Langway did way back when - but its not often you see defensive defenseman get much love. So nice to see Hamhuis get some - same with Ohlund although they both were more of two-way guys - and that fans one this site acknowledge that these guys matter and can be great too (Both Tanev and Murzyn). 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

• -AJ- locked and unlocked this topic
14 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Matt Cooke Jannik Hansen Odjick and many of these other guys weren't even the greatest Canucks of their generation -_-

I would agree in regards to Cooke. Hansen and Odjick were fan favourites in their time, not necessarily great skill wise. I have watched (and listened to) Canucks hockey since the early 1970s and I will always remember Gino and the Honey Badger.

• Like 1

Just now, CaptKirk888 said:

I would agree in regards to Cooke. Hansen and Odjick were fan favourites in their time, not necessarily great skill wise. I have watched (and listened to) Canucks hockey since the early 1970s and I will always remember Gino and the Honey Badger.

Hansen was a top...eight or so fan favorite in the best Canuck teams he played on.  That's pretty good considering those were Presidents Trophy and Cup Final level teams.

I think Gino is probably a top eight all time fan favorite, and possibly on a shorter list than that.

The only way to question whether Gino belongs on this list is to have never seen him bleed for the team.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

The only way to question whether Gino belongs on this list is to have never seen him bleed for the team.

That he did, and protected his best friend and the canucks best player at the time.

• Like 1

• -AJ- locked this topic