The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks can only sign two of Toffoli, Tanev or Markstrom

Rate this topic

Me_

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

What video is this?

I predict that we will re-sign all of them (as long as we get a compliance buyout and the cap at the very least stays the same and does not drop).

I don't know this guy. Kind of stumbled onto this video.

Just made me think of non-Covid stuff :)

• Cheers 1

I have it in that order too.  Mostly it is because of Tanev’s age.  He deserves more term and money than we can afford to give him at our stage of team building.

We just have to admit (unless one time buyouts etc change everything), that we can’t fix our team in one offseason and just have to keep building.

If we sign Toffoli, our top forward group is basically locked in for several years.  There is a possibility of signing Toffoli relatively cheap on a 1 year deal if he wants to gamble on getting a bigger ticket after a full year on a top line and when there may be some more cap room for teams (who would all have just lost a forward to expansion).  We feed Hoglander and Podkolzin in as they are ready and veteran contracts expire to open roster spots.

Miller-Petterson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Hoglander-Gaudette-McEwan/Virtan

Roussel-Beagle-Sutter

The defence isn’t good now, and is likely to get worse next year.  We just have to hope that some combination of Tryamkin, Juoloevi, Rafferty can work out and surprise us.

Edler-Stecher 

Hughes-Myers

Juolevi-Tryamkin/Benn

The wildcard is whether we can figure out a trade or not.  Virtanen becomes more expendable if we sign Toffoli so is a nice trade chip.  Package him up with Demko and a cap dump like Baertschi and you could probably get a 2nd pairing Defensive D back to play with Hughes or Edler.

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Unless he prices himself out, you don't let arguably the MVP in Markstrom walk with a developing Demko.

Toffoli's kind of a luxury at this point seeing how Jake's probably top-6 ready, but as mentioned he really helps the top line round out really nicely.

Outside of this season, Tanev has been pretty injury prone, and is already on the wrong side of 30.  I don't see him aging well given his style of play.
By the slightest of margins I would let Tanev walk (unless Jake truly breaks out if play resumes then I might swing to Toffoli).

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

I don't know this guy. Kind of stumbled onto this video.

Just made me think of non-Covid stuff :)

Just some noob on youtube, I wouldn't even consider taking any of his opinions seriously. I think that the people that do this for a living, Benning and co. will figure it out.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

In a perfect world I would keep all three and move Brandon Sutter and Loui Eriksson to free up the cap space needed to keep them. As unlikely as that is to keep all three I would have to agree with the op on this one. Toffoli has fit in really well with the team and Markstrom is a solid goalie. Which Makes Tanev expendable unfortunately and if he could stay healthy would be my option to keep him.

Keep Toffoli, Markstrom

say goodbye to Tanev

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, CR7 said:

If the NHL and NHLPA agree to a compliance buyout at seasons end and we can trade Sutter, Beagle or Rousel this may not be an issue at all 

I’d think out of those three Sutter’s the most expendable. Gaudette’s taken over the 3C, plus Sutter only has one year left on his deal, so he’s easier to move.

• Cheers 3

Without a doubt you keep the goalie. There are enough good teams in he league that have bad goal tending so we need to keep this position secure.

Scoring is almost as hard to find as goal tending so that give a nod to to Toffoli

As for Tanev, he is a RHD so that bodes in is favor but he is oft injured and a defensive defense-man of which may be the most replacable.

• Cheers 1

Great discussion,  lots of variables. 

Gotta be careful with goalies I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of a Marky contract and his age doesn't help him.

I think there's a lot of clutter that I would want to deal with before the big 3.

Baer

Sutter

Loui

Troy

Leivo

• Upvote 2

It's all up in the air at the moment. I think it's a little premature to say what can and can't be done considering we don't know how many compliance buyouts will be given to teams, which players will be moved, what the cap will be and which players will be traded.

Too many moving parts to have a clear picture of what the offseason / signing season will look like.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think we’ll see Sutter (some cap retained) and Roussel traded to free up an extra $5M or so. The best case scenario for us imo is just re-signing our free agents and standing pat over what ever kind of offseason we have. Maybe add a depth piece or two if we can afford it. A cbo would be a game changer for us though. 

• Upvote 1