The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks can only sign two of Toffoli, Tanev or Markstrom

Rate this topic

Me_

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Your bang on with Tanev,.   He might take a top pairing with any top 2 d men.  But his tendency to be injured messes up the pairings around him..  even if he signed for 3.5 - 4 m , I personally think it’s time to move on.

Tryamkin has a lot to offer,.  He IS a solid shut down D man, I beleive within the next season plays with us he will prove to be the Top 2 pairing D man we have sorely missed.  Brings a totally different tool box than Tanev, but more effective.

After the draft, where some trades will take place,  I’m hoping to see Petrangelo, and / or Ristolianen  become available as possible additions to the Canucks.

IMHO this is a time for bold moves.  JB has to gamble … then fingers crossed. It seems to be the moment when Canucks future will be determined. Vcr, according to JB has 7 NHL ready prospects this ultimately means there's room for a number of vets to be traded. It's the situation Sam Pollock drooled over. Trade vets for pick and introduce youngsters.

As I see it on left defence we have Rathbone and Brisebois   …. trade Juolevi. I hear good things re Teves

On right defence Rafferty and Tryamkin  trade Stecher ( he's at his best ) and release Tanev.

Forwards MacEwen Hoglander and Lind Maybe add Toffoli and wait for Podkolzin and trade Boeser.

DiPietro the goalie of the future

I understand this is a  lot to digest but realistically we're likely 3 years from a run at the Cup that means 3 years to prepare for success. The question is, is this the time for bold moves and secure the future or do we go with what we have and then find some vets are too old to be effective at the crucial time. Vcr still has many vets to offer stability.

I don't want this to be a slanging match but time for serious reflection on just where we are at this time  stay cool :)

The Canucks have got to decide who they want to be in the top 6 or 9 and find ways to get rid of the rest.

Toffoli  Miller  Petterson

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Ferland Gaudette Virtanen

Macewan Beagle Motte

if we cant move Sutter he can finish his days out in the press box.

Loui is the compliance buyout.

Defence

Quinn Tryamkin-if he can be signed

Edler Myers

Juolevi Brisebois, at some point we have to find out if these guys can play at the NHL level.

Benn or another pickup?

Marky

Demko

If i can only sign two of the three Tanev walks. Oft hurt player who has been good when healthy just never healthy

• Cheers 2

I know as much as the next guy, but Tanev really strikes me as the guy that would take a nice discount to stay with his 'home-town' team. 

Obviously it's a guess and it might be foolish but I hope JB can find a way to keep all 3.. Huggy Bear is always talking about Tanev and how much he loves him.

19 hours ago, Fred65 said:

IMHO this is a time for bold moves.  JB has to gamble … then fingers crossed. It seems to be the moment when Canucks future will be determined. Vcr, according to JB has 7 NHL ready prospects this ultimately means there's room for a number of vets to be traded. It's the situation Sam Pollock drooled over. Trade vets for pick and introduce youngsters.

As I see it on left defence we have Rathbone and Brisebois   …. trade Juolevi. I hear good things re Teves

On right defence Rafferty and Tryamkin  trade Stecher ( he's at his best ) and release Tanev.

Forwards MacEwen Hoglander and Lind Maybe add Toffoli and wait for Podkolzin and trade Boeser.

DiPietro the goalie of the future

I understand this is a  lot to digest but realistically we're likely 3 years from a run at the Cup that means 3 years to prepare for success. The question is, is this the time for bold moves and secure the future or do we go with what we have and then find some vets are too old to be effective at the crucial time. Vcr still has many vets to offer stability.

I don't want this to be a slanging match but time for serious reflection on just where we are at this time  stay cool :)

Think the teams past that part of their cycle and these young guys will have to get on the team and win a spot the old fashioned way which is at training camp or as an injury replacement.   Rafferty scouting reports indicate he’s not ready - but close - OJ not great either - Brisbois probably the closest to getting the 7th spot.   Given the way the contracts are staggered I’d expect during  this season the AHlers will be fighting for Benns spot ..and this year I’d rumours are true Tryamkin for Tanevs possibly.   Natural selection going forward....no more Del Zotto’s etc which is promising.  

On 4/29/2020 at 1:19 AM, filthycanuck said:

2 years ago, Boeser was the toast of the town, "hes elite this, elite that", "best young sniper in the game" yadda yadda, he was walking on water in this city, we get Toffoli and all of sudden, "hey lets trade brock!". Complete MORONS

That’s CDC for you. One day you’re a hero the next a villain.

Lol’ing at the Tryamkin will replace Tanev comments as well.

• Like 1

Trade boeser to make it work? I don’t know. Boeser seems to be a younger Toffoli but at this time Toffoli is the better player. Brock will net a pretty decent return and will excel in an American market. His slow the puck down style is not a fit on our team it seems. 

5 hours ago, J-23 said:

That’s CDC for you. One day you’re a hero the next a villain.

Lol’ing at the Tryamkin will replace Tanev comments as well.

Sadly there's no stand still in sports. Either you're getting better or you're getting worse. The goal is the SC and we ain't got there with this roster so unpopular  moves need to be made. These are commodities not your friends, sad but true. Boeser is a quality asset which may improve the team in other areas. He seems like a heck of a guy but the other team will pay him the same as we pay him so so don't get too bent out of shape. Heck if you could move him to Minny he might be happier … close to his father

Has anyone actually looked at the market conditions to see who the competition may be for the services of these players? I took a look and it appears that for Markstrom at least they should be in a pretty good position to retain him- and possibly not have to pay too exorbitantly . Teams with the combination of need, room to acquire, and that may have appeal for JM are not too plentiful outside Vancouver. Buffalo, Detroit , Ottawa could all use a starter but may not satisfy the criteria. Chicago may need to sign 2 goalies but they are cap-strapped and would have to move money to make it work. I could also see Carolina wanting to upgrade their goalie position but they would in all likelihood have to move one of Reimer or Mzarzek  (sp?) to make room. Lehner is available via free agency (among others) and I could see guys like Georgiev/Allen/Raanta being available in the trade market so there are other options available to teams needing something more than a back-up. Anyway, something to chew on for now. I will probably take a look at the potential market for Toffoli/Tanev at some point.

• Cheers 1

On 4/29/2020 at 3:50 PM, gurn said:

And watch the league fine the Canuck org for cap circumvention. And as a repeat offender in the leagues eyes the fine would likely be massive.

If Florida can do it we can.  Precedence.

#%$@#@ retroactive punishment for Lu's sucky contract was bs.

10 hours ago, kilgore said:

If Florida can do it we can.  Precedence.

#%$@#@ retroactive punishment for Lu's sucky contract was bs.

Yah, that's what the Canucks thought when they signed Lou's deal; how did that turn out again?

19 hours ago, BlastPast said:

Has anyone actually looked at the market conditions to see who the competition may be for the services of these players? I took a look and it appears that for Markstrom at least they should be in a pretty good position to retain him- and possibly not have to pay too exorbitantly . Teams with the combination of need, room to acquire, and that may have appeal for JM are not too plentiful outside Vancouver. Buffalo, Detroit , Ottawa could all use a starter but may not satisfy the criteria. Chicago may need to sign 2 goalies but they are cap-strapped and would have to move money to make it work. I could also see Carolina wanting to upgrade their goalie position but they would in all likelihood have to move one of Reimer or Mzarzek  (sp?) to make room. Lehner is available via free agency (among others) and I could see guys like Georgiev/Allen/Raanta being available in the trade market so there are other options available to teams needing something more than a back-up. Anyway, something to chew on for now. I will probably take a look at the potential market for Toffoli/Tanev at some point.

Thanks for looking into this. Goalie market is always slim simply because of the amount of spots available. Of those teams you mentioned, if he was chasing the money, then he could go to one of those bottom feeders. I imagine he want to continue with his progress here. I fully expect to sign a reasonable deal that makes sense for both sides and if he's being unfair, Benning has already stated that they are comfortable running with Demko if they must. Just have to find a respectable backup and we may simply re-sign Domingue or someone with more experience like Griess if that were the case. I'm hoping we could lock in Marky for around 5.5 or less.

18 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Thanks for looking into this. Goalie market is always slim simply because of the amount of spots available. Of those teams you mentioned, if he was chasing the money, then he could go to one of those bottom feeders. I imagine he want to continue with his progress here. I fully expect to sign a reasonable deal that makes sense for both sides and if he's being unfair, Benning has already stated that they are comfortable running with Demko if they must. Just have to find a respectable backup and we may simply re-sign Domingue or someone with more experience like Griess if that were the case. I'm hoping we could lock in Marky for around 5.5 or less.

I think this will be the case, especially if they go 4-5 years on term. If they don't - for some reason- re-sign him I would have to think that they would want to invest in a quality back-up. I think it's possible that JM wants some assurance that he is in their plans beyond this season before he makes a commitment; if he is given that assurance I could see him going as low as ~4.5 X 4-5 . He's been great but he hasn't won a  Vezina or even been a finalist and the market isn't great for him right now for a number of reasons so I just don't see  how he can command/receive even close to Hellebuyck money (~6.2). I could, of course, be totally wrong though.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Signing Markstrom, and keeping Demko is ok; until the expansion draft. 

Hopefully a third eligible goalie can be acquired prior to  expansion draft day.

I don't think that's how it works, you can protect one goalie only, all others eligible will be exposed. So Demko will still be exposed (assuming we are keeping Markstrom). Unless you mean to acquire another goalie to expose in hopes we can trade Demko prior to the draft.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BlastPast said:

I think this will be the case, especially if they go 4-5 years on term. If they don't - for some reason- re-sign him I would have to think that they would want to invest in a quality back-up. I think it's possible that JM wants some assurance that he is in their plans beyond this season before he makes a commitment; if he is given that assurance I could see him going as low as ~4.5 X 4-5 . He's been great but he hasn't won a  Vezina or even been a finalist and the market isn't great for him right now for a number of reasons so I just don't see  how he can command/receive even close to Hellebuyck money (~6.2). I could, of course, be totally wrong though.

4.5 would be an amazing dollar amount. He may require a full NMC if that's the case.

On 4/30/2020 at 11:16 AM, Fred65 said:

IMHO this is a time for bold moves.  JB has to gamble … then fingers crossed. It seems to be the moment when Canucks future will be determined. Vcr, according to JB has 7 NHL ready prospects this ultimately means there's room for a number of vets to be traded...............................

..............................I understand this is a  lot to digest but realistically we're likely 3 years from a run at the Cup that means 3 years to prepare for success. The question is, is this the time for bold moves and secure the future or do we go with what we have and then find some vets are too old to be effective at the crucial time. Vcr still has many vets to offer stability................

On 5/1/2020 at 10:47 AM, ktcy2 said:

Trade boeser to make it work? I don’t know. Boeser to be a younger Toffoli but at this time Toffoli is the better player. Brock will net a pretty decent return and will excel in an American market. His slow the puck down style is not a fit on our team it seems. 

Definitely think this is the time! I'm all for bringing in grizzled SC winning warriors. I know we have Pearson, Beagle, and hopefully Toffoli. I'm pretty sure Beagle will not be around in 3 tears, but the surely the two ex LA guys will. 

Seriously. What's considered a vet nowadays are guys like those two. Even now! Youngens such as Hughes and Petey must assuredly look at JT and Toffoli as such. Sure the 30plus guys have their place on teams, but that's considered old now in the new NHL.

Trade the Flow?!?!?!?!?!? The acquisition of Toffoli definitely makes Brock an enticing piece for a fruitful trade. I'm iffy on this one. Flow's good buds with Petey and I think that dynamic is a big part of the vibe and chemistry this team is experiencing. 

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I don't think that's how it works, you can protect one goalie only, all others eligible will be exposed. So Demko will still be exposed (assuming we are keeping Markstrom). Unless you mean to acquire another goalie to expose in hopes we can trade Demko prior to the draft.

I think if JM only signed a 1 year deal they wouldnt have to expose him or Demko and could pickup some cannon fodder pro to have exposed. Could be wrong though

10 minutes ago, beni said:

I think if JM only signed a 1 year deal they wouldnt have to expose him or Demko and could pickup some cannon fodder pro to have exposed. Could be wrong though

The player would have to be signed through the 21-22 season so yes that would keep him from having to be exposed.

However I highly doubt him or his agent would agree to a 1 year contract. Way too risky without much benefit to him.

At some point a decision will have to be made to trade or let go of one. All the expansion draft does is maybe speed that up by a season.