The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks can only sign two of Toffoli, Tanev or Markstrom

Rate this topic

Me_

4 hours ago, BCNate said:

4th option is you pay a price to dump a bad contract and keep all 3.  We need to trim the roster from the bottom, not the top. We will not show marker progress as a team if we don't manage to keep these 3 guys.  I'd add a 1st or Hoglander to LE to be able to keep all 3 of these guys.  

Without Toffoli, we have 4 legit top 6 forwards in Horvat, EP, BB and Miller.  Pearson and Virtanen are more middle 6 guys.  

Without Tanev, we are brutal on D.  Our top 4 becomes Edler, Hughes, Meyers.  One of Fantenberg, Benn, Stecher or an unproven rookie move into your top 4.  That is a real bad thing.  

Without Markstrom Demko is your #1.  He was nowhere near capable of carrying this team when Markstrom went down.  Sure he's young, was rusty, etc, but reality is that he is nowhere near the goalie Markstrom is at this point.  He has potential, but we need a sure thing in goal over the next couple years while we build depth elsewhere in the roster.

I'm not sure any team would benefit more from a compliance buyout than us.....

But....If you have to lose one of the 3, I'd lose Toffoli.  His role is the most replaceable with what we currently have in the lineup.

I agree with everything except the bolded.

Middle 6 IS top 6.

Top 6 is line 1 and 2

middle six is line 2 and 3.

Line 2 is in the top 6 and middle 6.

if Pearson and Virtanen are second line guys, they are top 6 and middle 6

5 hours ago, Me_ said:

I saw a video regarding keeping the three major UFAs Toffoli, Tanev and Markstrom that made me really consider the matter.

Personally, after what I saw from Toffoli, he's not even a discussion. The MILLER - PETTERSON - TOFFOLI line slowed the game down so much they made the opposition look amateur.

You keep that guy.

So it comes down to Tanev or Markstrom. I believe that Markstrom is necessary while Tanev is replaceable.

Don't get me wrong. I love Tanev's game. He's still a top 5 league wide Defensive Defenseman. But Markstrom has come into his own and stops the puck at the right time. So many spectacular saves. He's as close to Luongo good as we can have in net.

I make the argument that Tanev is the most expendable UFA of the three. With Hughes on his way to becoming one of the best 1D in the league, pairing Edler or Myers with Hughes equals what Tanev does. Again; Tanev is ACE. But perhaps not as necessary as a top notch scorer and a top notch goalie.

I believe Tryamkin would be a good addition to the Canucks, further making Tanev expendable. However, if Benning can sign all three somehow, that would definitely be best case.

Far too early to even have this conversation.

We have no idea what next year's cap looks like, whether there will be compliance buyouts, salary percentage cuts etc, etc.

If there's a compliance buyout with a flat'ish cap, there's the possibility of re-signing all three assuming we also either retain 50% or buyout Baer, move Roussel etc.

Entirely premature until we have a clearer picture.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Me_ said:

I saw a video regarding keeping the three major UFAs Toffoli, Tanev and Markstrom that made me really consider the matter.

Personally, after what I saw from Toffoli, he's not even a discussion. The MILLER - PETTERSON - TOFFOLI line slowed the game down so much they made the opposition look amateur.

You keep that guy.

So it comes down to Tanev or Markstrom. I believe that Markstrom is necessary while Tanev is replaceable.

Don't get me wrong. I love Tanev's game. He's still a top 5 league wide Defensive Defenseman. But Markstrom has come into his own and stops the puck at the right time. So many spectacular saves. He's as close to Luongo good as we can have in net.

I make the argument that Tanev is the most expendable UFA of the three. With Hughes on his way to becoming one of the best 1D in the league, pairing Edler or Myers with Hughes equals what Tanev does. Again; Tanev is ACE. But perhaps not as necessary as a top notch scorer and a top notch goalie.

I believe Tryamkin would be a good addition to the Canucks, further making Tanev expendable. However, if Benning can sign all three somehow, that would definitely be best case.

Tanev isn't top 5 defensive dman. He might be top15. Hf board had an advance stat page on him while back. He is  good on a bad defensive defense which makes him look incredible.

If it does come down to that then Tanev can go and we get Tryamkin and OJ next season since let's be real this season is finished 

• Cheers 2

So I have been beating this drum

Instead of losing Toffoli or Tanev for free

Trade Boeser and keep Toffoli

So the arguement is this...…….

Yes, Boeser , alone is > than Toffoli, because of the age difference, but

Boeser < Toffoli and the return for Boeser

Boeser < Tanev and the return for Boeser

Boeser < Markstrom and the return for Boeser

So the point is with Podkolzin, Lind, and MacEwen coming on board, and Toffoli here for 5 years

which incidently has Boeser regociating a new contract in the middle of that...….

I know I am the odd man out, but the return for Boeser, would be a good add as well.....

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Wat 1

6 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

This is tough because all three are key guys. Without Tanev our D is that much worse, but also Toffoli gives us a legitimate top 6 for the first time since 2013. Markstrom is essential, no question. Personally, I’d keep Toffoli, but it’s a tough call. 

We can also consider a trade to replace Tanev?

We must sign Taffoli 4 yrs x 4.9--5.2  million range.

Miller - Petey - Taffoli --- Taffoli - plays a complete 200 foot game and will score 27 - 32 goals -- 65 points playing with Petey..

Pearson - Horvat -  Jake ( Ferland)

Roussel  - Gaudette -  Leivo

Motte -  Beagle  - MacEwen 

Podkozin 6'1 - 19 - RW -should be over after his KHL season late March 2021

Hoglander 5'10 - 19 -W - could be playing in Utica next season and might surprise management with his skills, could be closer NHL ready then we think?

Lind 6'1 - 21 - 190 - RW - If he  takes another step this summer he could be close to NHL ready?

Rafferty  25, 6'2 - NHL ready if they decide to trade Stetcher--

Tryamkin 26, 6'7, 260 lbs -- Can fill # 4 or 5 D spot next season..

Juolevi  21 - 6'3 -- I still have feeling he will have a solid NHL career #3 D man with natural skill..Injuries have slowed his career down..

Briesbois  22 - 6'3 - Still feel he could be a solid #4 or #5 D man...

Woo 19 - 6'0 - Will play in NHL in 2-3 years..

We move Boser for top end D man to fill Tanev"s spot--- Save 4.5 million not signing Tanev and he is injury prone 30 yrs old...

To get a top end D man we have to trade a top 4 forward....Really need a top end D man Edler is get older 34 yrs old and we have to move away from Tanev.

We need top end D man under 27 yrs old to grow with the core of the team...

Try and trade one of Beagle or Sutter...Might be easier to trade Sutter only 1 yr left at 4.3 million....

Markstrom will demand 5.5 x  4 yrs, with 10 team trade clause.. Will have to decide on either Markstrom or Demko before expansion draft  June 2021..

Should get a decent  asset back for either goalie.....

Edited by wildcam

Toffoli is a legit top 6 winger in this league.  In only a short time he already has proven to have great chemistry with Miller and Petey.  Given what we traded for him and given his great chemistry in allowing us to have a legitimate first line, there is no way you let him go unless his contract demands are ridiculous.  

As for Marky, he has proven to be a top 10 goalie in this league.  He's just entering his prime at 30.  Goalies, especially ones with not a lot of miles on them like Marky, can play at a high level well into their 30's.  Also, Demko is still developing so you don't want to throw him into the fire just yet.  He still needs at least a year before he can become a starter.  He can also be good trade bait at next year's deadline for a high draft pick.  Signing Marky is a must IMO.

As for Tanev, Fanuck made a great point that he really helped in Quinn's development this year, and if Tanev was 26-27 and not so injury prone I'd probably take him over Toffoli.  But considering Tanev's injury history and that he is on the wrong side of 30 unless he want to sign a cap friendly deal with Vancouver on a short term contract, which is highly unlikely, I would say Tanev should be the one that we let walk away.  I know that Tryamkin will need some time to readjust to life in the NHL, but he could be a better replacement for Tanev than anyone we could find for either Marky or Toffoli.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Me_ said:

You keep that guy.

Highly speculative. Right now, there isn't a team in the NHL that knows what they can and can't afford. The whole dynamic is about to change and they won't know how its going to work until the NHL announces plan to continue.

Its highly likely that what will be announced in the next few weeks, for completing the season, will not include anything for next season. There is a chance that the 2020/21 season gets scrapped completely.

There are so many unknown variables right now, its really anyone's guess and all we can do is complete speculation.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Everyone needs to remember, we could easily have a 40 - 45 million salary cap, next season and a massive rollback on salaries.

This is unprecedented, we really have no idea what this has done to the NHL.

I wouldn’t say “easily”.

I think when all is said and done the cap remains flat. Maybe a slight rollback but nothing like 50%.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I wouldn’t say “easily”.

I think when all is said and done the cap remains flat. Maybe a slight rollback but nothing like 50%.

Depends if we lose a whole season. There are a lot of people in the NHL (Brian Burke) who are projecting a 40% rollback on salaries based on where we are right now.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

Depends if we lose a whole season. There are a lot of people in the NHL (Brian Burke) who are projecting a 40% rollback on salaries based on where we are right now.

You mean all of next season?

Then yes we would probably see major salary rollbacks after that.

But if we’re talking about next seasons cap I doubt it changes that drastically. The 2021-22 cap would be the one that would be affected.

Just now, DeNiro said:

You mean all of next season?

Then yes we would probably see major salary rollbacks after that.

But if we’re talking about next seasons cap I doubt it changes that drastically. The 2021-22 cap would be the one that would be affected.

For next season cap (whenever that season happens), they are talking as much as a 40% rollback on current salaries to accommodate cap, based on damage that's been done so far.

Remember, the most commonly speculated plan for completion of this season is TV only. That restricts revenue that's possible for playoffs.

So, yes, there is serious discussions that cap for the next season, could involve a 40% rollback of where we were now, not just a flat cap of 81.5 million.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

For next season cap (whenever that season happens), they are talking as much as a 40% rollback on current salaries to accommodate cap, based on damage that's been done so far.

Remember, the most commonly speculated plan for completion of this season is TV only. That restricts revenue that's possible for playoffs.

So, yes, there is serious discussions that cap for the next season, could involve a 40% rollback of where we were now, not just a flat cap of 81.5 million.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

I don’t see a way they allow that to happen with CBA negotiations coming up.

I could see it going down to something like 75 million with the salary floor being lowered more than usual in order to accommodate weaker markets. A 50% rollback would be too drastic, you might as well fold the league if it gets to that point.

Just now, DeNiro said:

I’ll believe it when I see it.

I don’t see a way they allow that to happen with CBA negotiations coming up.

I could see it going down to something like 75 million with the salary floor being lowered more than usual in order to accommodate weaker markets. A 50% rollback would be too drastic, you might as well fold the league if it gets to that point.

They have a signed CBA that designates 50% split of revenue. If Revenue falls by 40%, they either rollback salaries, or they increase escrow to accommodate.

Players are already not happy with current Escrow levels, so it would be more likely that they would accept a rollback as its already built into the current CBA, that if league revenues rebound more than expected, the players automatically receive the additional revenue share to bring them back up to 50%.

This is how the current CBA works, they would realistically, only have those options unless someone can figure out how to restore the additional revenue.

The NHL annual revenue is 5.09 billion.

This shutdown has already cost the NHL more than a billion and climbing.

Not difficult math to do to come up with a number, the balancing has to come from somewhere.