Sign in to follow this  
Me_

Canucks can only sign two of Toffoli, Tanev or Markstrom

Rate this topic

41 minutes ago, beni said:

I think if JM only signed a 1 year deal they wouldnt have to expose him or Demko and could pickup some cannon fodder pro to have exposed. Could be wrong though

As mentioned already, not a chance Marky signs a 1 year deal, but technically yes you're right.

Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2020 at 9:18 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

Nik is great, but he's no Tanev defensively. We'd still need to bring in someone who can eat up the hard minutes Tanev does, so I don't know that we'd really have any cost saving by letting Tanev walk, maybe  $1 mil or so? 

From a goals against pov, it might be better to keep Tanev and bring in Nik to replace Stecher, and let Toffoli go if we cant buy out Loui. That would suck but TDL moves are often more expensive than they're worth.

We need Tree back, you can't buy size and from most of this franchise's history, being a butter soft team has never won us a cup. Only when we had a bigger team did we come close.. 

Anddddd only a complete idiot would let a player like TT go, we need that guy badly and letting him go would be a huge mistake. 

Edited by iceman64
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

We need Tree back, you can't buy size and from most of this franchise's history, being a butter soft team has never won us a cup. Only when we had a bigger team did we come close.. 

Anddddd only a complete idiot would let a player like TT go, we need that guy badly and letting him go would be a huge mistake. 

Uhhhm....apparently you can buy size............Tyler Myers anyone?!?!???

The 1994 team had lotsa' heart, size and grit. They were underdogs compared to the stacked teams of the day; Rangers being one of them.

That 2011 team was pretty damn good. Just needed better depth guys to fill in for the key guys that got injured. 

I really hope we can get the job done on all three of said players in the thread title. I'm holdin' out hope. But...............

10 hours ago, iceman64 said:

there may not be any choice depending on where the cap is at. I sure hope there's a compliance buyout coming. 

Marky and Toffoli are necessary....it's time to give these mid teen players an opportunity to play on "D" cause they are ready....they just need a chance...

Tanev rights can be traded for a high pick.

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Marky and Toffoli are necessary....it's time to give these mid teen players an opportunity to play on "D" cause they are ready....they just need a chance...

Tanev rights can be traded for a high pick.

no one will trade for Tanev's rights, he's a  UFA . If he's gone from here he simply walks. 

Which is fine for some situations. You get the cap space for other moves. If Tanev and Stecher are let go, then there's room to right Toffoli, Marky and Tryamkin. I don't think Nik is a replacement for Tanev tho, not yet anyway. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no one will trade for Tanev's rights, he's a  UFA . If he's gone from here he simply walks. 

Which is fine for some situations. You get the cap space for other moves. If Tanev and Stecher are let go, then there's room to right Toffoli, Marky and Tryamkin. I don't think Nik is a replacement for Tanev tho, not yet anyway. 

Tanev is a well known "underrated" Dman....just ask Hughes how good he is.

I believe someone will want him bad enough for his rights to match a UFA offer.

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

Tanev is a well known "underrated" Dman....just ask Hughes how good he is.

I believe someone will want him bad enough for his rights to match a UFA offer.

Chris will have lots of choices, so the team trading for him is going to want to make sure that he's interested. I guess if Toronto really wanted him that badly they could offer and extra 4th or something like that maybe? I guess its possible. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

there may not be any choice depending on where the cap is at. I sure hope there's a compliance buyout coming. 

Friedman in his 31 thoughts says that a growing number of executives are saying that owners are against compliance buyouts because they don't want the extra cost.  

The cap will probably stay flat for several years.  Wonder if every cap team will still be allowed to spend to the cap by their owners.  

I think we should sign and trade Markstrom tbh. At the same time I know Demko hasn't showed enough for most fans to accept letting Markstrom go. I think we try and get a Schnieder type deal done at the draft for Marky and sign a veteran back up that can take some pressure off of Demko.

I understand the win now mentality and the want to keep Marky, but it's the smartest long term play imo.

Demko could and probably will make a huge leap next year. Especially if we manage to get Tryamkin in to help vastly improve our defensive play. 

I've always been on the trade Markstrom keep Demko wagon for when it got to this point. Unfortunately Markstrom is finally playing to his potential and I understand why some people wouldnt see my thoughts as the smart move. Demko really is that good. I guarentee you in the next year or 2 he will be as good or better than Markstrom

• Hydration 1

6 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

I think we should sign and trade Markstrom tbh. At the same time I know Demko hasn't showed enough for most fans to accept letting Markstrom go. I think we try and get a Schnieder type deal done at the draft for Marky and sign a veteran back up that can take some pressure off of Demko.

I understand the win now mentality and the want to keep Marky, but it's the smartest long term play imo.

Demko could and probably will make a huge leap next year. Especially if we manage to get Tryamkin in to help vastly improve our defensive play. 

I've always been on the trade Markstrom keep Demko wagon for when it got to this point. Unfortunately Markstrom is finally playing to his potential and I understand why some people wouldnt see my thoughts as the smart move. Demko really is that good. I guarentee you in the next year or 2 he will be as good or better than Markstrom

Easier said then done ... Marksrom might only sign with  a NTC - and a or a NM clause...and the team might like that too given salary is left on the table.   I do agree that we could sign a vet instead - a good one Halak just did at just over 2...and that’s a good way to save salary -plus given how fickle the position...there really aren’t many good ones year in year out ... Rask might be the most consistent right now although MAF isn’t a bad example either (although he’s had his ups and downs too at one point or another).   Murray ... well Jarey almost stole his job this year - Jones in SJ was pretty much lost his too.   IMO the ED lowers Demkos trade value significantly - not many teams would stake their future as their number one and they’d be rolling the dice that Seattle wouldn’t pick him up as a back-up future goalie too.  In the end with the team trying to compete now they don’t have much choice other then just sign JM...don’t think they have the stomach for a move like your suggesting although in the future it just might turn out the right thing to do. 

For my money (and I know it's not) I'd retain Marky and Tanev and let TT go, if it boils down to just 2 of the 3.

Toffee was never brought in to be a complementary piece on the top 6, but rather as an injury replacement should BB be out until deep into the playoffs.  We did just fine scoring-wise until BB went down (I don't remember Toffee on the scoresheet during the 2 long win streaks or in any of the 7 goal binges .... yes he did get 2 goals in the Boston rout, but they were the super insurance goals number 7 and 8)

Let's face it, scoring wasn't an issue. Defense was.  So why wouldn't we try to resign our best defensive d-man?

As an aside, I think Stecher is gone.  He'll get the Hutton treatment.  No qualifying offer, then a much lower offer to see if he wants to stay in Vancouver, especially if JB can get Tree signed beforehand.  I think Rafferty needs another 1/2 season in Utica to work on the defensive side of his game,  but I do see OJ starting with the big club, understudying the Eagle.  Even if he doesn't play many games initially, practicing and scrimmaging with the big club will help him immensely. But I think we will see a lot of Hughes/Tanev ... Edler/Tryamkin and Juolevi/Myers this next season.

• Upvote 1

-   Toffoli as a King was a Canuck Killer. Now he's killing for us and proving he's no fluke. We gotta sign and keep him for our near future cup run.

-   Marky's been a project with us since acquiring him from Florida. It's my opinion that he's emerged as a proven #1. Good, proven #1 goalies are difficult to come by. We have one in Marky. I say we sign him. 

-   Tanev has proven that when healthy, he is an on ice stud. This shortened season has shown that. I would like to keep him too, but obviously ya' can't have it all in todays salary capped NHL. This is who we move.

I realize we need to move out some hefty contracts to pay Toffoli, Marky, and our young studs. 

D-Man wise, without Tanev, unless we get something back via trade, free agency or whatever, we're screwed. The money juggling issue is key in keeping competitive.

I dunno....We might get lucky with one or two of the farm guys.

On 5/3/2020 at 8:34 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

well we need the guy, obviously skilled and much like JT he can play with an edge...  I'm soooooo done watching a really good regular season cream puff team get creamed and yet another year without stanley, have'nt we had enough of those?

• Hydration 1

17 hours ago, Googlie said:

For my money (and I know it's not) I'd retain Marky and Tanev and let TT go, if it boils down to just 2 of the 3.

Toffee was never brought in to be a complementary piece on the top 6, but rather as an injury replacement should BB be out until deep into the playoffs.  We did just fine scoring-wise until BB went down (I don't remember Toffee on the scoresheet during the 2 long win streaks or in any of the 7 goal binges .... yes he did get 2 goals in the Boston rout, but they were the super insurance goals number 7 and 8)

Let's face it, scoring wasn't an issue. Defense was.  So why wouldn't we try to resign our best defensive d-man?

As an aside, I think Stecher is gone.  He'll get the Hutton treatment.  No qualifying offer, then a much lower offer to see if he wants to stay in Vancouver, especially if JB can get Tree signed beforehand.  I think Rafferty needs another 1/2 season in Utica to work on the defensive side of his game,  but I do see OJ starting with the big club, understudying the Eagle.  Even if he doesn't play many games initially, practicing and scrimmaging with the big club will help him immensely. But I think we will see a lot of Hughes/Tanev ... Edler/Tryamkin and Juolevi/Myers this next season.

seriously? Tanev with his injury history over TT?   

• Hydration 1

3 hours ago, iceman64 said:

well we need the guy, obviously skilled and much like JT he can play with an edge...  I'm soooooo done watching a really good regular season cream puff team get creamed and yet another year without stanley, have'nt we had enough of those?

we have.

If we had a better defensive coach I'd be a lot more comfortable losing Tanev to sign Toffoli. 

3 hours ago, iceman64 said:

seriously? Tanev with his injury history over TT?   

Our record without TT was pretty good the first 50 games,  not so good the last 10 (mostly without Marky).  Without Tanev those first 50 games would have been a bust.  That was my point.  We need a top 4 d-man more than we need a top 6 forward

On 5/4/2020 at 10:20 AM, Googlie said:

While I'm with you on thoughts regarding our D, your thoughts on the reason for Toffoli's acquisition seem perplexing. 

Toffoli's was courted by many other teams. And I can't help but to think that the the price we payed to lure him here is for nothing than a rental?!??!?!?!?!? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NexusRift said:

While I'm with you on thoughts regarding our D, your thoughts on the reason for Toffoli's acquisition seem perplexing. 

Toffoli's was courted by many other teams. And I can't help but to think that the the price we payed to lure him here is for nothing than a rental?!??!?!?!?!? 

Well, I based it on Benning's own comments that they wouldn't have pursued TT had BB not been injured (and the expectation was that he was lost for the season)

(I can't find a way to attach the link to his interview video, but you can find it on the Canucks webpage)

Edited by Googlie

6 hours ago, Googlie said:

Well, I based it on Benning's own comments that they wouldn't have pursued TT had BB not been injured (and the expectation was that he was lost for the season)

(I can't find a way to attach the link to his interview video, but you can find it on the Canucks webpage)

I remember that interview. No worries. Still.......We sorta' have both of them now. I realize to keep Toffoli around will require a cap dump or trade to keep a competitive roster.

We're in a tough situation for sure in that regard.