The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #40

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #40  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #40 Canuck of All-Time?

• C. Tanev
    • G. Butcher
    • D. Ververgaert
    • G. Smith
    • I. Larionov
    • C. Fraser
    • R. Lanz
    • C. Oddleifson
    • K. McCarthy
    • M. Cooke

This poll is closed to new votes

9 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Voting Tanev, nominating Pettersson.

I see the merit in having him and/or Boeser slot in around the 50 spot. There's little doubt he'll hold down a place near the top of this list as he career progresses, and he's had his fair share of memorable moments already. One of two (soon to be three?) Calder trophy winners in franchise history. There are a few good soldiers and characters left that could be nominated, but given that we have 39 selected already and 10 options on the poll, I figure his name deserves a chance to be in the running.

EPs on my list too...felt even though one less season he’s made a bigger impact then BB has...his first couple of months were simply outstanding for any rookie ever ... 10 goals his first 10 games and eventually praise from the great one himself.   Think after the first two months he was near the league lead in PGP.   QHs would also likely  be on a re-do of this list likely after one more season...great time to be a fan..

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, the grinder said:

nominate jim sandlak  35th in all time points for the canucks 

That little stat blew me away.

When I saw it, I thought you were making it up.  I was a fan of "The House" when he was here but he just never quite lived up to expectations.  I would have never dreamed he was that high on the list.

Wow.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, goalie13 said:

When I saw it, I thought you were making it up.  I was a fan of "The House" when he was here but he just never quite lived up to expectations.  I would have never dreamed he was that high on the list.

Wow.

yep  sandlak is that high up on the list  , just like Vevergaert  25 th  in all time scoring  is ahead of Horvat  in  stats   still hasn't made the  top 50   yet

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the grinder said:

yep  sandlak is that high up on the list  , just like Vevergaert  25 th  in all time scoring  is ahead of Horvat  in  stats   still hasn't made the  top 50   yet

Dana Murzyn is fifth all-time in plus minus and 31st in games played ... points are not the only stats that matter. I had Horvat at 39th, one later his predecessor Oddliefson both two-way players ... 

6 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Wow.

Sandlak was fun to watch.  Big like Lindros ... without the same tools.  That team was big.  Then Quin decided to supersize things with Antoski (don’t remember him losing a fight decisively anyways) and big bust Stajanov.   Hard to believe but we could of had Jagr (if he reported - word is after Krutov and Larionov they didn’t have the stomach so went with Nedved - but I’m pretty sure Jagr would have loved to play on that team) and Keith Tkachuk in the same draft instead....

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sandlak was fun to watch.  Big like Lindros ... without the same tools.  That team was big.  Then Quin decided to supersize things with Antoski (don’t remember him losing a fight decisively anyways) and big bust Stajanov.   Hard to believe but we could of had Jagr (if he reported - word is after Krutov and Larionov they didn’t have the stomach so went with Nedved - but I’m pretty sure Jagr would have loved to play on that team) and Keith Tkachuk in the same draft instead....

A few threads ago I pointed out who we could have drafted in 1990...

We could have had Jagr, Martin Brodeur and Doug Weight instead of our first three picks that year.

Basically set for goalie post-McLean until 2015 or whenever.

Then Sergei Zubov in the 4th round instead of...Darin Bader.

Robert Lang in the 6th instead of...Daryl Filipek.

And Peter Bondra in the 8th instead of...Paul O'Hagan.

We could have had a dynasty for 10 years just from what we passed over in the 1990 draft.  And that's not mentioning that we'd have been adding these guys to our 1990 core - Linden, McLean, Adams, etc. and there was nothing stopping us from still trading for Ronning, Courtnall, Craven, Momesso, etc. or drafting Bure (already drafted).  Or keeping Larionov.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Dana Murzyn is fifth all-time in plus minus and 31st in games played ... points are not the only stats that matter. I had Horvat at 39th, one later his predecessor Oddliefson both two-way players ... 

well points  are big part of  the equation , would they not be  ?   since  most of the list are top scoring players  right?      so  Vevergaert   played 409 games  304 points   and Horvat  has played 446 games and has 275 points       so then points don't matter  maybe it is toughness    or gwg, or great plus minus     Vevergaert  177 pim   17 gwg  -69     Horvat  125 pim   14 gwg  -65    so who is the better player  ?   Image result for dennis ververgaert

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, the grinder said:

well points  are big part of  the equation , would they not be  ?   since  most of the list are top scoring players  right?      so  Vevergaert   played 409 games  304 points   and Horvat  has played 446 games and has 275 points       so then points don't matter  maybe it is toughness    or gwg, or great plus minus     Vevergaert  177 pim   17 gwg  -69     Horvat  125 pim   14 gwg  -65    so who is the better player  ?   Image result for dennis ververgaert

Yep I have him in the late 30’s ... before Murzyn by quite a bit - right around Lanz...ahead of Horvat, Hansen and Tanev too.   Said before he was like Bertuzzi-lite...power forward from a forgotten era.

Edited by IBatch

1993-94 Canucks, post-ideal-1990 draft, just for the heck of it

Bure - Linden - Jagr

Courtnall - Ronning - Momesso

Bondra - Weight - Adams

Lang - Craven - Odjick / Hunter / Antoski / Gelinas

... McIntyre / Carson

Murzyn - Zubov

Lumme - Babych

Diduck - Dirk / Glynn

McLean - Martin Brodeur

... Whitmore

note - no Hedican or Jeff Brown as they came from Nedved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the grinder said:

55 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep I have him in the late 30’s ... before Murzyn by quite a bit - right around Lanz...ahead of Horvat, Hansen and Tanev too.   Said before he was like Bertuzzi-lite...power forward from a forgotten era.

So what you guys are telling me is... Harold Snepsts should barely even be on this list!!
(I'm kidding lol!  I know that's not what you're saying)

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Hard to believe but we could of had Jagr (if he reported - word is after Krutov and Larionov they didn’t have the stomach so went with Nedved

Nedved was already playing in the U.S. and Jagr was overseas, with no release date in sight.

If Jagr was over here there is a good chance he would have been drafted by Quebec before the Canucks could pick him anyway.

After a quick scan of these top-40, appears half of them arrived via trade. Historically, trade-returns have been a helluva' lot more favourable to this franchise, compared with draft picks.

I'd bet the Habs(for example) top-40 would be composed of 70-80% of their own drafted assets.

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Then we’d have to consider  Tallon.  Have to think about others when it comes to one or two seasons.  Same with Reinhart which QHs doesn’t quite match up with yet. 

There have been a lot of Canucks in 50 years.  It depends how you measure top 50.  50 best players.  50 best careers.  50 best Canuck careers.   Under 50 best players to suit up.  I'm nominating Hughes.  EP should be up there too.  Let's swap out Odjick and Williams,  Fan favorites but top 50? I beg to differ.

On Tallon, I've been a fan since day 1 but I didn't live near enough to attend games and back in the day, we saw them only a couple of times a year on HNIC.  We got 1 game a week and it was usually the Leafs or the Habs so we saw the Blackhawks and Bruins as their opponents more than the Canucks.  I never saw him play much. 

Wa wa waaaaaa..... So for Tallon, he has some good stats as a Canuck over 3 seasons but he shall for ever be in the shadow of Gilbert Perrault.