The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Nils Hoglander

16 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Sounds like its either Canucks or its back to Rogle for him. 

Plus a few games in the AHL - which is also good. He can get a north american feel + practices, then go back and work on some of that along with playing meaningful games in a league where his body won't get as trashed by the 'men' in the "almost" hockey league.

Could very well be the best of both worlds.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Sounds like its either Canucks or its back to Rogle for him. 

That's a good mindset. He was playing in the top 9 in Sweden. Probably be in the top 6 there next year. Would be great for him. I feel he just needs another year.

1 hour ago, drummer4now said:

Hopefully not another Anton Rodin.... 

Rodin obviously has the skills to make the NHL, but his body just didn’t hold up. Happens some times, and identifying which players will have injury troubles is often impossible.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Will be interesting whether he chooses to come to play in Utica or chooses to stay in Sweden til he is NHL ready.

Hope he comes over to adjust to the NA style of game.  I feel his overall flash and skill along with an abrasive style will allow him to flourish despite his short stature.

5'9" 189 if that's what he is, is sturdy enough.  I wouldn't expect him to have issues being shoved off the puck and falling down like another skinny kid the Canucks have.

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

5'9" 189 if that's what he is, is sturdy enough.  I wouldn't expect him to have issues being shoved off the puck and falling down like another skinny kid the Canucks have.

Kid is an uber athlete. Benning says from the top of the circles and down, in tight spaces, he's quick. He can jump into holes. I like your word; sturdy.

I say explode into holes! His motor unbelievable. A pinball. Powers off guys & bangs into the next. Digs. Still has hand eye, endurance to make control moves. Tireless. He may not stride away from Quinn Hughes in open ice? Few, if any, D in the NHL will beat him from the wall, to the slot & back. With someone dogging him. I believe our best athlete? 

I imagine 2 years from now there will be times we see see: Hoglander / Horvat / Podkolzin. Could be the hardest working line in hockey? Podz also a tireless digger.

Some quotes from posts earlier in the thread;

So strong. Does not get bumped off the puck for a smaller guy. His compete level is through the roof, never quits on a puck.

“When I protect the puck, that's my strength, not just stick-handling. I work out a lot, I'm pretty strong. But don't be scared to go there [tough areas]. I think I'll win the puck, and nothing else.” - Hoglander on his best attributes 

“My goal is to win, and I always love to win the puck, the battle. Don't be scared to go into the battle to win the puck.

He plays a hard game, he's strong on the puck

Edited by Canuck Surfer
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Me_ said:

Canucks are going to have a seriously great problem to have; a logjam of skilled forwards.

MILLER - PETTERSSON - TOFFOLI

PEARSON - HORVAT - BOESER

HÖGLANDER - GAUDETTE - PODKOLZIN

Depth is a good problem to have.  Top nine is very deep and this will create defensive problems for our opponents.  A top nine that plays hard and can score consistently.  We may be near the genesis of a very great Canucks team.

• Cheers 2