Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Biestra

Greatest "Cup of Coffee with the Canucks" Player, Legends Edition

Rate this topic

Greatest Cup of Coffee Canuck  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

had to go with 3 time 50 goal scorer Rick Vaive.

Would have gone with Cam Neely, if that was an option.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Brent Ashton. Was a really good 2 way forward with good size and skating ability. Scored 18 goals for us as a 20 year old and promptly got traded......had a really good nhl career.

Yeah, he was a very good player.  Traded 9 times in his career, an NHL record, and even traded for Petri Skriko one time when they were both no longer involved with the Canucks.

That first trade away from Vancouver had something to do with the signing of Ivan Hlinka, so I don't think the Canucks actually wanted to lose him.  It was some kind of RFA compensation type deal or something.

You'd think they could have dressed him two more times in 92-93 to get him to 1000 games...

He definitely had a bit more hockey in him.  Started 93-94 in the minors and then had his knee destroyed after about a dozen games and never made it back to the NHL to get those two more in.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

3 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah, he was a very good player.  Traded 9 times in his career, an NHL record, and even traded for Petri Skriko one time when they were both no longer involved with the Canucks.

That first trade away from Vancouver had something to do with the signing of Ivan Hlinka, so I don't think the Canucks actually wanted to lose him.  It was some kind of RFA compensation type deal or something.

I think Ashton was traded 8 times in his NHL career and Mike Sillinger actually holds the record of 9.

Mike Sillinger was traded an NHL record nine times during his career. Eight of those nine trades required Sillinger and his family to relocate to a new a city in the middle of a season.

Ashton Brent

Boston Bruins acquire Date Calgary Flames acquire
Boston_Bruins.gif C.J. Young
February 1, 1993
Brent Ashton Calgary_Flames.gif
Boston Bruins acquire Date Winnipeg Jets acquire
Boston_Bruins.gif Brent Ashton
October 29, 1991
Petri Skriko Winnipeg_Jets.gif
Detroit Red Wings acquire Date Winnipeg Jets acquire
Detroit_Red_Wings.gif Paul MacLean
June 13, 1988
Brent Ashton Winnipeg_Jets.gif
Quebec Nordiques acquire Date Detroit Red Wings acquire
Quebec_Nordiques.gif Basil McRae
John Ogrodnick
Doug Shedden
January 17, 1987
Brent Ashton
Gilbert Delorme
Mark Kumpel
Detroit_Red_Wings.gif
Minnesota North Stars acquire Date Quebec Nordiques acquire
Minnesota_North_Stars.gif Bo Berglund
Tony McKegney
December 14, 1984
Brent Ashton
Brad Maxwell
Quebec_Nordiques.gif
New Jersey Devils acquire Date Minnesota North Stars acquire
New_Jersey_Devils.gif Dave Lewis
October 3, 1983
Brent Ashton Minnesota_North_Stars.gif
Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Winnipeg Jets acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif rights to Ivan Hlinka
July 15, 1981
Brent Ashton
1982 4th round pick (#74-Tom Martin)
Winnipeg_Jets.gif
Colorado Rockies acquire Date Winnipeg Jets acquire
Colorado_Rockies.gif Brent Ashton
1982 3rd round pick (#54-Dave Kasper)
July 15, 1981
Lucien DeBlois Winnipeg_Jets.gif

I went with Vaive as he had a decent rookie year with us. Then was traded, along with Derlago, to TO for Tiger. 

Vaive went on to have 3 50+ goal seasons in a row for the laffs. 

Derlago had a couple of decent years as well. 

I went with Craven. Pat said if the money would have been there he would have signed him for another couple years. Murray was great in that 94 run.

What's the cutoff on games played? 

Igor Larionov played 210 games. 143 points, including 51 goals in 3 seasons. 

Still one of my favorites. Tore my heart out how he left. 

Cam Neely: 201 games, 52 goals, 104 points in 3 seasons. 

Even worse trade, and horrible return. (Even if short term it was passable, long term it decimated the Canucks to let a talent like that go.)

Mats Sundin. 41 games, 28 points, not sure if the team could afford another full season, but it would have been interesting to see how that panned out. 

Honorable mention to Willie Mitchell. (Is 4 seasons too many? He'd never win any scoring titles but he was a rock solid stay at home d-man)

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What's the cutoff on games played? 

Igor Larionov played 210 games. 143 points, including 51 goals in 3 seasons. 

Still one of my favorites. Tore my heart out how he left. 

Cam Neely: 201 games, 52 goals, 104 points in 3 seasons. 

Even worse trade, and horrible return. (Even if short term it was passable, long term it decimated the Canucks to let a talent like that go.)

Mats Sundin. 41 games, 28 points, not sure if the team could afford another full season, but it would have been interesting to see how that panned out. 

Honorable mention to Willie Mitchell. (Is 4 seasons too many? He'd never win any scoring titles but he was a rock solid stay at home d-man)

I was pretty much sticking to under 100 games, with a couple exceptions like Pit Martin just because I wanted people to know who he was.

Good list of guys though.

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)

Greg "I scored 133 points for Kamloops as a defenceman" Hawgood?

95 games, 29 points, including 7 goals. 

Amazing he got that many points and was drafted in the 10th Round in 1986, by Boston. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Greg "I scored 133 points for Kamloops as a defenceman" Hawgood?

95 games, 29 points, including 7 goals. 

Amazing he got that many points and was drafted in the 10th Round in 1986, by Boston. 

Three straight years with way over 100 points for Kamloops.  Guy was the Paul Coffey of the WHL.

Obviously not a hall of famer in the NHL or anything but GMs really all thought there were 201 better players available that year?

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m wondering if you considered Mike “Shakey” Walton ? Several players on the list have played more than his 115 games (113 points!). As well, though you have one Sanderson, you don’t include Derek Sanderson whose 16 games and 16 points must qualify as a cup of coffee, although I highly doubt his cup had coffee in it.

• Sedinery 1
  • Vintage 1

I would go with jeff brown   he turned around the power play for 94 run  the pass to bure in game 7 vs calgary,   or lappy and torres  in 2011   all 3 made an impact in short time

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, the grinder said:

I would go with jeff brown   he turned around the power play for 94 run  the pass to bure in game 7 vs calgary,   or lappy and torres  in 2011   all 3 made an impact in short time

No Scurvy Dogs Edition.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

How about King Kong Korab ,

Gary Doak,

Ron Stewart (1353 games, 42 in Van and 22 in NYI)

Colin Campbell (played for the Canucks and Blazers, and seemingly hates Vancouver)

Doug Wickenhieser ( the only first over all draft pick.. but not by us)

the other Gagner

Smolinski

Edited by lmm
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

Doug Wickenhieser ( the only first over all draft pick.. but not by us)

Mel Bridgman was also 1st overall.  And we gave Owen Nolan a tryout one season.  Good list.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, Kevin Biestra said:

Mel Bridgman was also 1st overall.  And we gave Owen Nolan a tryout one season.  Good list.

oh ya I remember Mel from the Victoria Cougars

10 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Three straight years with way over 100 points for Kamloops.  Guy was the Paul Coffey of the WHL.

Obviously not a hall of famer in the NHL or anything but GMs really all thought there were 201 better players available that year?

That's what shocked me. You'd figure with numbers like that, someone would gamble in the 3rd or 4th rounds or something. 

I'll just blame the Bruins for ruining his development. ;)

• Vintage 1

I was always a fan of ( 2x Selke winner ) Mike Peca.  I was disappointed to see him go, but I was pretty happy with getting Mogilny in return.

But my vote still goes to Rory Fitzpatrick #VoteForRory

Solid list though!

Pretty fun to look back and see some of those names.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

That's what shocked me. You'd figure with numbers like that, someone would gamble in the 3rd or 4th rounds or something. 

I'll just blame the Bruins for ruining his development. ;)

My first thought was Greg was too small to translate at the NHL level, however Hockey Data Base says he was 5'10" and 204lbs.

Had a high point year with Boston 40 points 56 games and the next year got 38 in 77. Some partial years with Philly were more than a half point per game.

Maybe his skating speed was an issue?