The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #41

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #41  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #41 Canuck of All-Time?

This poll is closed to new votes

22 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Voted Oddleifson, will vote Smith next. NOT enough love for the older players here, no disrespect but many here didn't see them play. Butcher was a good player also.

I watched them all play (live at the games in the 70s as a kid, my dad would get the left over tickets from work). Oddleifson was one of my favourites, Smith was only here 2 full years and I vaguely remember seeing him. I voted Butcher because he was a Canucks 1st round pick and played here for 9 years and was a hard-nosed stay at home dman. He also could fight, held his own with McSorely once.

• Cheers 1

Kind of shocked that Hamhuis is getting so much support. There's actually been a shocking amount of contempt for the newer players, but this is one of the first times we've seen what I was expecting to happen far more often--new player gets in and gets huge support right away on the polls.

All that said, I would actually say this list has been far more balanced than I expected it to be. A lot of the long-time fans have clearly pushed very hard for older players, and though I certainly don't agree all the time, it is nice (and surprising) to see that I'm not the lone wolf trumpeting some of the tales of these old Canuck greats.

At the same time, I have found myself getting caught up in romanticizing the old times and not giving enough credit to modern day players, so I've tried to counterbalance my own views and find the right happy medium.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Kind of shocked that Hamhuis is getting so much support. There's actually been a shocking amount of contempt for the newer players, but this is one of the first times we've seen what I was expecting to happen far more often--new player gets in and gets huge support right away on the polls.

All that said, I would actually say this list has been far more balanced than I expected it to be. A lot of the long-time fans have clearly pushed very hard for older players, and though I certainly don't agree all the time, it is nice (and surprising) to see that I'm not the lone wolf trumpeting some of the tales of these old Canuck greats.

At the same time, I have found myself getting caught up in romanticizing the old times and not giving enough credit to modern day players, so I've tried to counterbalance my own views and find the right happy medium.

A shocking amount of contempt?  Are we reading the same threads?  Who is receiving contempt?  Nobody has even posted the Cloutier beachball picture.

• Haha 1

Just now, Kevin Biestra said:

A shocking amount of contempt?  Are we reading the same threads?  Who is receiving contempt?  Nobody has even posted the Cloutier beachball picture.

I'm seeing a lot of "young, modern guys getting too much attention" and "posters should post their ages so we know they don't know anything about the good 'ol days" kind of talk. I can't speak for everyone else, but I know I personally feel pressure to vote for older players just so I don't get lambasted by some. Most of y'all have been pretty decent about it (including you), so I'm willing (hence my nomination of Boeser), but I wouldn't be surprised if some other younger posters are scared off from commenting or maybe even voting.

Really I suppose I expected the complete opposite of what I've noticed. I expected voters to have no idea who Ververgaert, Kearns, or Boudrias were, but instead I'm seeing a strong resistance against Bieksa, Salo, and Tanev. This isn't to say I particularly side with either perspective, it's just the opposite of what I expected coming into the series.

Perhaps contempt was too strong a word--I was second guessing that word choice.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Kind of shocked that Hamhuis is getting so much support. There's actually been a shocking amount of contempt for the newer players, but this is one of the first times we've seen what I was expecting to happen far more often-

Thanks for doing this every day! Fun project.

(ps. Hamhuis was a beast. Stellar defense, Olympian, 2011 playoff alumni, community guy, returned from the scariest face trauma in recent memory, hip checks. Beast.)

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm seeing a lot of "young, modern guys getting too much attention" and "posters should post their ages so we know they don't know anything about the good 'ol days" kind of talk. I can't speak for everyone else, but I know I personally feel pressure to vote for older players just so I don't get lambasted by some. Most of y'all have been pretty decent about it (including you), so I'm willing (hence my nomination of Boeser), but I wouldn't be surprised if some other younger posters are scared off from commenting or maybe even voting.

Really I suppose I expected the complete opposite of what I've noticed. I expected voters to have no idea who Ververgaert, Kearns, or Boudrias were, but instead I'm seeing a strong resistance against Bieksa, Salo, and Tanev. This isn't to say I particularly side with either perspective, it's just the opposite of what I expected coming into the series.

I'm enjoying learning about some of the guys from before I was born.  Love hearing stories from older fans.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I'm enjoying learning about some of the guys from before I was born.  Love hearing stories from older fans.

Me too. Since we weren't around back then the best we can is experience them vicariously though other fans.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Damn.  Apologies because I feel like a bit of a bully now.   Seriously just vote for whomever you want - you seem to have a good understanding regardless based on your nominations so far too.   The end of the list is a lot more mercurial - and I’m sure when the so called “pro’s” make these things there is less and less agreement as they get closer to the end (in fact they said as much in an intro to a book on exactly the same topic - top 50 per team etc).     The list isn’t that bad - have said that a couple times - and we all have our favourites.   Also think it was you that made a comment about the possibility that fans hold players at a higher level when they first fell in love with them - which makes sense.   Mentioned a long time ago my much younger sister got into hockey when the WCE team was going and loved Cooke (sure being a late-teen/early 20 had something to do with that) - seem to remember saying she’d like to marry him even ha ha.   If she was playing I’d know as his name would have come up in the teens ha ha.

Was into sticker books and cards when I was 10-12 ..it was CRUCIAL that I filled the 1982 one (which I did eventually - by sending out money to get one of four shiny foil stickers - to make up the rest of WG - leg).   All the kids  were doing that back then and imaging one day playing in a cup final.  Also why I probably rate some guys higher then others - and why I am higher on Babych then others.   Moustache were much  cooler back then and wanted him on our team right away...same with Lanny McDonald.  And for hair Bobby Clark.

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Me too. Since we weren't around back then the best we can is experience them vicariously though other fans.

You bet.  I learned a lot about hockey from my uncle and grandmother who I lived with in Castlegar in grade 11.  How the Smoke Eaters won a world championship in nearby Trail (with players from the area too) and how they went from original six fans (TO or MTL) to Canuck fans ... and how awesome some of our players are/were along the way.   It’s also when I finally let my alliance completely go from Oilers (a lot of kids were wrapped up in how exciting they were - I wasn’t immune to that) .. and we watched every televised game that year on a 20 inch rabbit eared tv.  Didn’t even know my grandma watched hockey - something im thankful for as she showed me the errors of my way cheering for an Alberta team ... Steve Bozak had a connection with our family (don’t even recall what it was) and that trumped everything the Oilers had according to grandma ha ha. 

In the end re-living 1982 was a common theme at that house - and I’m thankful for that - put some adult context on something I didn’t pay proper attention too when it actually happened.   Their love for that team and some of its players was infectious.   Sure the same is true for fans today- but instead for the 94 or WCE team...and for new fans 2011. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

I watched them all play (live at the games in the 70s as a kid, my dad would get the left over tickets from work). Oddleifson was one of my favourites, Smith was only here 2 full years and I vaguely remember seeing him. I voted Butcher because he was a Canucks 1st round pick and played here for 9 years and was a hard-nosed stay at home dman. He also could fight, held his own with McSorely once.

Cant argue with Butcher, I have seen every season. GB was a tough customer.

• Like 1